Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2014, 08:18 PM

1 posts, read 2,282 times

Advertisements

Hey!

My name is Dahlia and I am pretty much your textbook-case "hippie." Vegan, yogi, very spiritual. I live in Calgary, I went to the U of C, and right now a friend and I have been talking about moving to Nelson because of the positive atmosphere it possesses as well as the beautiful scenery. I talked to a friend who said that job availability is extremely limited in Nelson. I have several years volunteer experience with human rights and environmental organizations. I have work experience most recently in hospitality and housekeeping. I don't care what kind of job I have to take in Nelson, as long as I can afford the essentials. I am planning to move October first and would like to find a job within the first two months. Do you think this is possible?

I am sorry if a similar thread has been previously posted, however, I was unable to find one.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2014, 01:37 PM

1 posts, read 2,219 times
Yes, I do know that some of the hotels need good employees. Contact Ainsworth Hot Springs, Prestige Lakeside Resort. Some restaurants are also looking for good cooks and servers. There are plenty of restaurants to contact - just choose your preferred and start there. Whitewater Ski Resort is also hiring soon. Their job posting is up online or you can contact them for more details. All the best in your job search.
[url=http://Www.nelsonkootenaylake.com]Official Travel Site for Nelson, BC and the Kootenay Lake Area[/url]

Old 08-16-2014, 10:53 AM

1,790 posts, read 2,051,667 times
I'm having difficulty locating Nelson.

Old 08-16-2014, 04:24 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Friends in Nelson told me that after the 2 George W Bush elections, American citizens streamed across the border to Nelson, intending to abandon the US. I asked them how that was possible, it's not that simple to emigrate to Canada, and what did those people do for jobs. Some, apparently, were retired folks. But to any Nelson residents on this forum, does that story make any sense to you? Did it really happen? A friend in Vancouver said something similar happened over there. Hard to believe.

Old 08-16-2014, 08:42 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,324,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Friends in Nelson told me that after the 2 George W Bush elections, American citizens streamed across the border to Nelson, intending to abandon the US. I asked them how that was possible, it's not that simple to emigrate to Canada, and what did those people do for jobs. Some, apparently, were retired folks. But to any Nelson residents on this forum, does that story make any sense to you? Did it really happen? A friend in Vancouver said something similar happened over there. Hard to believe.
People online always talked about how they were going to move to Canada after Dubya but I doubt many did. Although I don't know if it would be all that hard, provided you had the income, to just come and stay. Nelson is well-known for American draft dodgers that settled there during the Vietnam war. Draft-dodger memorial to be built in B.C. - Canada - CBC News

Old 11-30-2014, 03:59 PM

44 posts, read 77,576 times
just stumbled upon this little town in an online article about skiing. it looks beautiful!

also wondering how the OP made out with her job search, well I hope?

Old 12-01-2014, 02:09 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahlia720 View Post
Hey!

My name is Dahlia and I am pretty much your textbook-case "hippie." Vegan, yogi, very spiritual. I live in Calgary, I went to the U of C, and right now a friend and I have been talking about moving to Nelson because of the positive atmosphere it possesses as well as the beautiful scenery. I talked to a friend who said that job availability is extremely limited in Nelson. I have several years volunteer experience with human rights and environmental organizations. I have work experience most recently in hospitality and housekeeping. I don't care what kind of job I have to take in Nelson, as long as I can afford the essentials. I am planning to move October first and would like to find a job within the first two months. Do you think this is possible?

I am sorry if a similar thread has been previously posted, however, I was unable to find one.

Thank you!
Nelson is a small place with not much opportunity for some one with your qualifications.
Perhaps starting your own business might be an option.
Something like a small vegan grocery store that also caters to the communities spiritual needs such as a place for like minded people to congregate for yoga and meditation classes etc.
https://www.google.ca/#safe=active&q=nelson+bc+jobs

Old 12-01-2014, 02:20 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,552,312 times
How about seeing if the co-op is looking for workers? It would definitely put you contact with the type of crowd you are looking for.

Kootenay Coop | Nelson BC | Friendly, Healthy, Community owned.

Old 12-01-2014, 08:21 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,463,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus059 View Post
just stumbled upon this little town in an online article about skiing. it looks beautiful!
"Roxanne" with Steve Martin & Daryl Hannah was filmed there.

Old 12-06-2014, 03:20 PM

44 posts, read 77,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
How about seeing if the co-op is looking for workers? It would definitely put you contact with the type of crowd you are looking for.

Kootenay Coop | Nelson BC | Friendly, Healthy, Community owned.
just took a look at their site. no doubt this is the best place to start. great recommendation!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada