Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2014, 01:40 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,328,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacierx View Post
Same with Canadians (and everyone else for that matter). It's all about price. Walmart is packed every day up here.
Now interestingly, Target isn't a success here. I don't cross-border shop but from what I hear, Target in the US is a popular destination for Manitobans. They recently opened some stores here and on a visit to the dentist, I had occasion to stop by the Target here. It was very quiet. Like a funeral home. With empty shelves. And I didn't find the prices to be low at all. I can't compare to the US stores because I haven't been to a US Target, but I was wondering what was up with Target Canada.

Target Canada's failed launch offers lessons for other retailers - Business - CBC News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2014, 03:18 PM

2,869 posts, read 5,137,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Now interestingly, Target isn't a success here. I don't cross-border shop but from what I hear, Target in the US is a popular destination for Manitobans. They recently opened some stores here and on a visit to the dentist, I had occasion to stop by the Target here. It was very quiet. Like a funeral home. With empty shelves. And I didn't find the prices to be low at all. I can't compare to the US stores because I haven't been to a US Target, but I was wondering what was up with Target Canada.

Target Canada's failed launch offers lessons for other retailers - Business - CBC News
I can't speak for every Target store in Canada but in my area, all stores except one look exactly like Zellers -- low-ceiling cramped mall stores that look like the 1970s except for the merchandise. The only store in a building that was completely rebuilt is always full and does look like a US Target -- large, with clear signage, wide aisles, etc. Incidentally it is the most successful store in the area and it's always full (as far as I can tell).

Target put mass market penetration before quality and as a result, their stores look like crap and people think they're a discounter.

Old 08-29-2014, 05:16 PM

2,829 posts, read 3,175,256 times
Target is very popular in America and has a huge presence throughout the country. You can multiple stores in any small to medium-sized city. Prices are not the cheapest - they are not meant to be because Target is not trying to come off as a discount Wal-Mart. Increasingly, they are also opening urban Target stores in urban areas and city centers for the more affluent shoppers.

Old 08-29-2014, 05:23 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,883,952 times
I've been to a few Targets in the U.S and Canada and in every single instance I've walked out of the store with nothing in hand. Atleast Walmart has competitive prices so you don't feel like you'd be getting ripped off.

Old 08-29-2014, 06:13 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,328,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post
Target is very popular in America and has a huge presence throughout the country. You can multiple stores in any small to medium-sized city. Prices are not the cheapest - they are not meant to be because Target is not trying to come off as a discount Wal-Mart. Increasingly, they are also opening urban Target stores in urban areas and city centers for the more affluent shoppers.
I thought Target was like another version of Walmart but then I've never been to one in the US.

ETA: how does it differ from Walmart? What should I look for if I ever go back?

Old 08-29-2014, 11:21 PM

3,026 posts, read 3,647,905 times
I walked into Target in the States about 5 months before they came to Canada, and was not impressed at all. Just walked out without buying anything. It looked just like Zellers. The local Target we do have here now is actually better than the American one I visited, but apparently that's because I had picked a small one to visit.

Old 08-30-2014, 07:45 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,728,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCB View Post
When it comes down to it, the majority of Americans could care less where a company is headquartered.
you mean "couldn't care less"?

Old 08-30-2014, 08:17 AM

3,379 posts, read 5,537,247 times
A Target opened up here last year and it's as dead as the Zellers it replaced. I'm not sure about what the prices are, but it just has such a gross design, not even the fact that they opened up a Starbucks inside could save it. And people here literally make plans to go to Starbucks.

Old 08-30-2014, 08:24 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,493,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
A Target opened up here last year and it's as dead as the Zellers it replaced. I'm not sure about what the prices are, but it just has such a gross design, not even the fact that they opened up a Starbucks inside could save it. And people here literally make plans to go to Starbucks.
Same story here in southwestern Ontario but then we also have a brand new super Walmart at the other end of town.

Target is having a hard time explaining to people just how carrying the same stock as Walmart's medium to high end merchandise but charging more for it than Walmart does is offset by a red and white logo versus a blue and white one.

Target: all hat and no cattle.

Old 08-30-2014, 09:36 AM

2,829 posts, read 3,175,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Same story here in southwestern Ontario but then we also have a brand new super Walmart at the other end of town.

Target is having a hard time explaining to people just how carrying the same stock as Walmart's medium to high end merchandise but charging more for it than Walmart does is offset by a red and white logo versus a blue and white one.

Target: all hat and no cattle.
Increasingly in America: Target City stores that are replacing big box suburban stores. Target City's are 1/2 to 2/3 the size of their suburban counterparts.

This one is in Chicago:

Seattle:

SF:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada