Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2019, 06:42 PM

5,818 posts, read 2,666,851 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
Did you just shoot the messenger? Is that because the USA President says that news is fake?
No, it's because of crap like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKuIjT-k-C8

The President is absolutely right, though, yes.

More people watch The Hallmark Channel and TLC than CNN during primetime.

MSNBC isn't much better, ratings wise.

Old 09-20-2019, 06:44 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,327,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister 7 View Post
Detroit is Detroit but there are nice suburbs, for sure.

Bloomfield Hills is supposedly the Beverly Hills of the midwest, I want to say it's about 20 miles away.

Not sure but you say your spouse/fiancee' is going to be a doctor?

Definitely check that out.
Actually, that's exactly where they'll be living. The Bloomfield-Birmingham area, north of Detroit. She's a doctor, and has an offer for the main hospital in that area (Beaumont).

I know that Toronto has 1000x better core/downtown amenities than Detroit, but if you actually compare the nicer suburbs to each other, I think most would agree Detroit has nicer suburban areas. The city proper has huge challenges but there are some REALLY nice suburbs.

This is upper class Detroit suburbia. Not too shabby:

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.5486...7i16384!8i8192

And I'm NOT arguing that Detroit is a better city than Toronto; I'm just saying that for professional couples, apples-to-apples, the U.S. will generally offer more opportunities. Higher paying jobs, much cheaper homes and the advantages of U.S. citizenship.

Old 09-20-2019, 06:47 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,949,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRAROD View Post
My point is that Toronto is an attractive place for people, Detroit is not, hence the properties in Detroit will be cheaper. Simple supply and demand.

Coming from Ontario into Detroit feels like entering a war zone.

Go sell those stories to someone else.
No one would suggest that Detroit should be compared to other major cities. It is in a class all by itself

Detroit's Beautiful, Horrible Decline - Photo Essays - TIME

Old 09-20-2019, 06:57 PM

Quote:
No one would suggest that Detroit should be compared to other major cities. It is in a class all by itself
Not really. Detroit is a fairly typical U.S. metro. Remember that 90% of Detroit is outside the city limits. There are 5.5 million in the metro, and only around 600k in the city proper. The vast, vast majority of "Detroit" is outside the city proper. The vast majority of households live in decent neighborhoods.

There's a lot of wealth in Detroit. I think it's 12th in the U.S. in terms of high net worth households. A ton of upscale suburbs with top-tier schools and services. There are some horrible neigborhoods, but they're the exception, and no professionals are moving to such areas.

Old 09-20-2019, 07:06 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,949,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Not really. Detroit is a fairly typical U.S. metro. Remember that 90% of Detroit is outside the city limits. There are 5.5 million in the metro, and only around 600k in the city proper. The vast, vast majority of "Detroit" is outside the city proper. The vast majority of households live in decent neighborhoods.

There's a lot of wealth in Detroit. I think it's 12th in the U.S. in terms of high net worth households. A ton of upscale suburbs with top-tier schools and services. There are some horrible neigborhoods, but they're the exception, and no professionals are moving to such areas.
Detroit has destroyed its history - not a good thing. The crime rate has not changed, the area is simply larger. There have always been upscale areas in Detroit, the problem is more about how they live.

Bottom Line : Canadians have a better quality of life than Detroitians.

Last edited by Lieneke; 09-20-2019 at 07:42 PM..

Old 09-21-2019, 12:01 AM

3,038 posts, read 4,774,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBeauchamp View Post
Quite right, Yeledaf.

The Canadian inferiority complex, avidly displayed many times throughout this thread, is very real, very deep-seated, and has been documented as far back as the 1800s.

Remember that anglo Canada was founded by the losers of the American Revolution, who have been forced to live in the least habitable strip of land in the western hemisphere, along the northern states of Michigan, Washington, and so on.

The wrong side was chosen and it's hard not to stare into the neighbors window and jealously search for any faults that may boost a tattered self-esteem.
You are 100% correct.

Old 09-21-2019, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Not really. The U.S. has huge issues, starting with a certain disaster in the White House, but that doesn't mean it isn't, generally speaking, a better place to live for most (not all) families, all things equal.
You should take a look at your. own poor excuse for a leader before criticizng the US president. I am looking forward to the opportunity to reelect Trump next year.

Last edited by JohnSoCal; 09-21-2019 at 12:42 AM..

Old 09-21-2019, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBeauchamp View Post
Even more subjective than wealthy and poor are terms like "quality of life".

Money and hard numbers are truly measurable, the social sciences are not.
Actually there is a website that compares the QOL of cities in the world based on factual stats. CD will not allow me to post the link. As an example , Seattle, Portland OR, San Jose CA, and San Diego all have a higher QOL index than Vancouver BC does.

Old 09-21-2019, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Majority of Canadians are snooty, eh. So good to hear that you don't "have a problem" about that. Sheesh. Do you think Canadians might be fleeing to that country down south to escape the snooties?
That is a factor among many why I choose to live in the US. Unlike most I was born in Canada and lived there until I was 19 when I moved to California. I lost my Canadian Citizenship when I became a naturalized US citizen which doesn't matter to me.

I have lived in 4 different countries.

Old 09-21-2019, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSoCal View Post
You should take a look at your. own poor excuse for a leader before criticizng the US president. I am looking forward to the opportunity to reelect Trump next year.
I'm American. And yes, Dotard is indeed a "poor excuse for a leader", as every educated, non-brainwashed person knows.

I personally look forward to Dotard being crushed in the election, and facing prison charges next year. Maybe this country can actually be saved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada