Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2015, 07:45 PM

428 posts, read 451,226 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
I'd watch it, younger people these days are probably more smart... cultured... knowledgeable than older people....

however i think the previous point about young Canadians not caring about Quebec independence is false to begin with...
I don't think it's any secret younger Canadians aren't as passionate about the issue as their parents/grandparents were. It used to be that talk of Quebec secession was met with "we love you Quebec, please don't go". Today it is usually met with a shoulder shrug or an angry "it's about time" type of response.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2015, 08:25 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,047,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Which younger generation and where? In Toronto, In Ottawa, In Calgary, In Halifax, In Vancouver.. We're a massive country and in all likelihood its not that the younger generation doesn't care they're just concerned with making a life for themselves and making the transition from adolescence to adulthood. .. I don't think that there is anything indifferent about it or not caring about other parts of the country.. If the country starts fracturing into pieces though, I think we'll all start caring at that point.. We're in a global world now, Canada benefits being Canada on the world stage - fractured nations and new nations would need to establish themselves as much smaller players in that world.. I'm not eager for that to happen - what we have is over 150 years in the making built by generations of Canadians.. Its worth fighting for as far as I'm concerned. Some people just dismiss what we have as a nation and its odd really - Canadians who have travelled around the world know very well what it is we have.. I'd much rather be a Canadian than an Ontarian or a Torontonian... So to what end do we fracture and when would enough be enough... Its a slippery slope...

Another point to make is that the younger generation hasn't had to grow up with strong separatist sentiment in our country - if it did I think you'd find that they would start becoming much more engaged in it.. I think you have had a negative experience in Quebec and you're projecting that experience to reflect the viewpoint that you're in the majority.
Good post.

Old 01-25-2015, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
And why should we value their cultures equally to whatever cultures we do value ....is there a law requiring it lest they feel ignored........poor dears?

By all means lets value every cultural presence in Canada equally. Care to tell me exactly how and what tangible example of appreciation would be used to measure this equality so as to satisfy all those feeling "unappreciated". Strings of coloured beads perhaps?
Most people in Quebec don't really care if people in the rest of the country value or appreciate their culture (or not).

For the most part they just want to be left alone and have control over the way their society evolves.

Old 01-26-2015, 05:18 PM

183 posts, read 218,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Most people in Quebec don't really care if people in the rest of the country value or appreciate their culture (or not).

For the most part they just want to be left alone and have control over the way their society evolves.
Yes, it is a difference from Anglos who have a rooted desire to validate their accomplishments in comparison with Americans.

Old 01-26-2015, 06:19 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,887,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViveLeQuebecLibre View Post
Yes, it is a difference from Anglos who have a rooted desire to validate their accomplishments in comparison with Americans.
Some are in a comfort zone when its an us vs them situation... Its productive from time to time if it has a therapeutic benefit but can be catastrophic when it becomes a chronic habit..

Old 01-26-2015, 07:04 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,497,191 times
Quote:

Oh, I think they would mind if Canadians in the ROC valued Jamaican culture to the same extent as French Canadian culture.

As for the second part of your post ....can't fault them for that.

Old 01-26-2015, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Oh, I think they would mind if Canadians in the ROC valued Jamaican culture to the same extent as French Canadian culture.

Well, most Canadians outside Quebec already ''value'' several other cultures more than they do Quebec culture, especially the American one.

Old 01-26-2015, 07:22 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,887,502 times
Quote:
Well, most Canadians outside Quebec already ''value'' several other cultures more than they do Quebec culture, especially the American one.
Its easier to engage in that culture in terms of watching a movie in English or reading an English book yes - as far as valuing America or the UK more than Quebec I protest profusely to that on a personal level but I can't speak for all English Canadians..

On a side note I do hope that Bombardier smokes Boeing and Airbus in the 100-150 seat A/C class... I shop at Dollarama, Rona and Metro before I do Home Depot or Walmart and will always fly Air Canada and Air Transat before United or American Airlines

Plus I visit Quebec more than the U.S as well - jus sayin..

Old 01-26-2015, 07:32 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,497,191 times
Quote:
You might be correct but then again you might not but knowing for sure would involve asking them, wouldn't it?

American culture, as we've been repeatedly told over and over again, is of no discernible difference so that would be a rhetorical oxymoron.....I think...

Old 01-26-2015, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Its easier to engage in that culture in terms of watching a movie in English or reading an English book yes - as far as valuing America or the UK more than Quebec I protest profusely to that on a personal level but I can't speak for all English Canadians..

Yeah, I should have acknowledged that a bit more. Language does bring a certain amount of commonality and affinities. It is only normal.

But there is also a difference between consuming stuff and what you consider Canadian. For the less enlightened or aware (am I allowed to say that?) the lines can become blurred I suppose and they can unfortunately spout inanities about American or even Japanese or Indian stuff being more Canadian than Quebec stuff for them, based on their personal habits, but for me even if I like certain things from France, I am not foolish enough to say that that's more Canadian than stuff I partake in less like, I dunno, The Velvet Café with Stuart MacLean or something...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada