Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2015, 12:10 PM

428 posts, read 450,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
"Only the slightest of margins separates Switzerland, Iceland, Denmark, Norway, Finland and Canada in the top ranks of the United Nations’ World Happiness Report released Thursday. ... The overall message of the report is that the well-being of countries depends on individuals being able to make decisions for the common good, and that the best societies are those where individuals act honestly and benevolently and where they trust that others are as well."

Canada among the 10 happiest countries in the world: Apparently warm weather isn’t the key to bliss | National Post
How's the kool-aid taste?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2015, 12:15 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,955,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modernrebel View Post
How's the kool-aid taste?
Canadians don't drink koolaid. They drink beer!

Old 09-04-2015, 12:17 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,032,223 times
Quote:
"Only the slightest of margins separates Switzerland, Iceland, Denmark, Norway, Finland and Canada in the top ranks of the United Nations’ World Happiness Report released Thursday. ... The overall message of the report is that the well-being of countries depends on individuals being able to make decisions for the common good, and that the best societies are those where individuals act honestly and benevolently and where they trust that others are as well."

Canada among the 10 happiest countries in the world: Apparently warm weather isn’t the key to bliss | National Post
And shame on aboriginal Canadians for spoling the party! How dare they!

Old 09-04-2015, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
And shame on aboriginal Canadians for spoling the party! How dare they!
I don't think so. Canadians are amongst the happiest people in the world - all of them, not just some of them.

Old 09-04-2015, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by modernrebel View Post
BTW, what happened to first nations cultures in Canada again? How did they go from 100% to 3%?
Immigration. Increased immigration, such as some of the 360,000 Syrian refugees in 2015, will bring the number down to 1%.

Another cause may be marrying outside the reserve; diluting the 1/8.

When you think about it, it's a bit of an oxymoron when aboriginals claim that their culture/tradition is not preserved, and reject an aboriginal who marries off the reserve - thus depriving those children of learning about one parent's culture/tradition. One contradicts the other: recipe for calculated failure

Last edited by Lieneke; 09-04-2015 at 07:53 PM..

Old 09-04-2015, 09:11 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,032,223 times
Quote:
I don't think so. Canadians are amongst the happiest people in the world - all of them, not just some of them.
Aboriginals are less than 10% of the population, so obviously most Canadians will be ''happy". But if you polled just aboriginals you wouldn't find such high rates of happiness.

Old 09-05-2015, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Aboriginals are less than 10% of the population, so obviously most Canadians will be ''happy". But if you polled just aboriginals you wouldn't find such high rates of happiness.
The article I linked ranks Canada as the fifth happiest country in the world; comparing country to country. It doesn't break the happiness into racial/cultural groups within a country. Canadians are very happy people!

"Compared to its southern neighbour, “the U.S. is higher on GDP per capita, but Canada is higher on all five of the remaining variables: healthy life expectancy, social support, corruption, generosity, and freedom to make life choices,” noted Prof. Helliwell."

In fact, it looks like the farther North one lives, the happier one is:

"Wealthier, northern countries lead the rankings in the happiness report. It shows Switzerland is on top, followed by Iceland, Denmark, Norway, Canada and Finland."

Canada now ranked as fifth happiest place on Earth - The Globe and Mail

Old 09-05-2015, 10:20 AM

922 posts, read 806,788 times
Quote:
The article I linked ranks Canada as the fifth happiest country in the world; comparing country to country. It doesn't break the happiness into racial/cultural groups within a country. Canadians are very happy people!

"Compared to its southern neighbour, “the U.S. is higher on GDP per capita, but Canada is higher on all five of the remaining variables: healthy life expectancy, social support, corruption, generosity, and freedom to make life choices,” noted Prof. Helliwell."

In fact, it looks like the farther North one lives, the happier one is:

"Wealthier, northern countries lead the rankings in the happiness report. It shows Switzerland is on top, followed by Iceland, Denmark, Norway, Canada and Finland."

Canada now ranked as fifth happiest place on Earth - The Globe and Mail
Happiness is an emotion, you can't really rank countries by happiness scientifically, per capita gdp is a much better option, as well as HDI, Healthcare, Education, etc. I find this "study" deeply flawed, all the people I have met from Israel told me horror stories. I don't think Israelis are all that happy, some of them even think that their country has no future.

Why do you insist on comparing with the US all the time, the great nation of Murica is going down the toilet. Get over it. I have a question, why are Canadians so obsessed with the US? I have assumed that Canadians don't really have a strong national identity or culture and is heavily influenced by American media.

Old 09-05-2015, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemissrock View Post
Happiness is an emotion, you can't really rank countries by happiness scientifically, per capita gdp is a much better option, as well as HDI, Healthcare, Education, etc. I find this "study" deeply flawed, all the people I have met from Israel told me horror stories. I don't think Israelis are all that happy, some of them even think that their country has no future.

Why do you insist on comparing with the US all the time, the great nation of Murica is going down the toilet. Get over it. I have a question, why are Canadians so obsessed with the US? I have assumed that Canadians don't really have a strong national identity or culture and is heavily influenced by American media.
John Helliwell, professor emeritus of economics at University of British Columbia, is quoted comparing Canadian happiness with the country to the South, as well as other countries. I'm not sure how that translates to this particular Canadian being obsessed with the country to the South, or lacking a strong national identity, but perhaps you read something into the article that isn't apparent?

Old 09-06-2015, 10:55 PM

Quote:
If 10% of the Canadian population is unhappy, that means the highest score for Canada is less than 90% happy. Would less than 90% happiness put Canada in the position of fifth happiest nation in the world? 88% seems a bit low for 5th happiest nation. Donno.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada