Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2015, 10:54 AM

1 posts, read 3,292 times

Advertisements

Minnesota is very Canadian in many ways. Do Canucks feel a cultural affinity to them?

Everytime I watch Fargo I always think it's a movie set in Canada.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2015, 11:08 AM

1,803 posts, read 2,224,536 times
I wouldn't think so, especially not anyone from Ontario.

Old 03-19-2015, 11:23 AM

4,865 posts, read 10,520,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superdooper22 View Post
Minnesota is very Canadian in many ways. Do Canucks feel a cultural affinity to them?

Not really, I think it's only really thought about as "like Canada" from an American perspective, much less so a Canadian one. I wouldn't say we really have any more affinity to them then we do Americans from any of the other border states, although there are always some connections between Canadian and American regions that share a border. Those connections, however, tend to be purely regional.

Last edited by BIMBAM; 03-19-2015 at 12:06 PM..

Old 03-19-2015, 11:38 AM

1,217 posts, read 2,598,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superdooper22 View Post

While there are likely some similarities, I don't think Canadians really think or know much about Minnesota to create such an affinity to be honest. At least not in the Toronto area. It's not like there are close geographical ties in terms of major cities like say Vancouver/Seattle to facilitate much exchange either. Places like NYC, Miami, California, etc. are more on the radar when people think of the US, not Minnesota.

Old 03-19-2015, 11:59 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,716,100 times
Most Canadians don't know much about Minnesota. How can they feel anything.

Old 03-19-2015, 12:06 PM

1,376 posts, read 1,312,185 times
One thing about Minnesota is that it's not really that close to the most populated Canadian cities. Winnipeg is the closest Canadian city of any size to Minneapolis and that's over 7 hours(or like 5-6 hours to smaller Thunder Bay). I think Canadians get more accustomed to whatever US region is closest over the border. Being from Vancouver, Seattle and the Pacific Northwest seem culturally similar or at least share a lot since it's just down I-5. Ontario has more overlap in parts with adjacent places in the Great Lakes region. Though Alberta shares a little bit with Montana or Quebec with upper New England, it's different because the major cities are on the Canadian side of the border in those cases.

But Canadians who travel more to the US are going to go to a lot of different cities all over the country--including big ones far from the border or warm snowbird destinations.

Minnesota has a love of winter sports in a way that's close to Canada, maybe some other social similarities, but I think it's a broad comparison. Between French Quebec and the cities of Ontario and Western Canada and the Maritimes, I think culturally Canada is a little more complex these days than people might imagine.

Old 03-19-2015, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckInPortland View Post

Minnesota has a love of winter sports in a way that's close to Canada,
it is not about "love". More about you have to do with what you have. To say Canadians love winter sports is like saying a poor man loves eating frozen food.

Do you think Canadians do not love to swim, play tennis, volleyball and all the fun summer sports, and prefer to ski or skate in -15 degrees? I seriously doubt that. But since you have 1/3 of the year under cold weather, you have to find ways to enjoy some sports.

In the summer, I don't see any Canadians missing those winter sports so terribly that they escape the "summer heat" to somewhere freezing just to ski. They do, however, flock to tropical areas to in the winter to do the summer activities.

Old 03-19-2015, 12:27 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Most Canadians don't know much about Minnesota. How can they feel anything.
I know all about Minnesota, i went to the Mall of America twice..

Old 03-19-2015, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I know all about Minnesota, i went to the Mall of America twice..
I don't doubt that. But how many Canadians from Southern Ontario, Quebec, Maritimes, Alberta or Coastal BC knows anything about Minnesota? There is nothing interesting and it is nowhere near where most Canadians live.

Most Canadians only know a bit about southern Florida, Bos-Wash, and California/Las vagas. BCers are more familiar with Washington. That's all.

Most of my Canadian colleagues' US experience is primarily limited to these areas. A senior manager of ours who make six figures in his late 30s went to Chicago 3 years ago, for the first time in his life. Vast majority of Canadians have been to under 5 American cities, and somewhere in Minnesota definitely isn't one of them.

This is why I found this Canadians feel culture affinity to Minnesota a bit weird. Probably less than 2% of Canadians actually have been to Minnesota, how can they feel the affinity?

Old 03-19-2015, 12:40 PM

250 posts, read 642,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
it is not about "love". More about you have to do with what you have. To say Canadians love winter sports is like saying a poor man loves eating frozen food.

Do you think Canadians do not love to swim, play tennis, volleyball and all the fun summer sports, and prefer to ski or skate in -15 degrees? I seriously doubt that. But since you have 1/3 of the year under cold weather, you have to find ways to enjoy some sports.

In the summer, I don't see any Canadians missing those winter sports so terribly that they escape the "summer heat" to somewhere freezing just to ski. They do, however, flock to tropical areas to in the winter to do the summer activities.
Incorrect. Many people, Canadians and otherwise love to ski. I'm not sure how happy I would be to live in a place where I couldn't ski often.

I have friends whose passion is ice climbing.

It really isn't just making the best of a bad situation.

As for summer ski vacations..... If southern hemisphere skiing was better developed, you would see more people doing it. Unfortunately we are left with a very expensive trip to resorts with poor infrastructure in South America and limited terrain in New Zealand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada