Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2017, 02:17 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,555,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
John calm down....Mikey was joking, he was making fun of Natnasci comparison.

Vancouver can be, at best, compared to Seattle....similar culture, weather, environment.....San Francisco?? Dream on....so having a suspension bridge makes Vancouver similar to San Francisco?? I guess the Tri-Cities in Washington state can be compared to Vancouver, they have a suspension bridge...lol...You cannot make this stuff up....

You haven't been in Seattle recently I guess...actually I would say for years based on what you say... You must be blind and deaf for not noticing a heavy Asian presence...

Why do people assume when someone is comparing two cities that they mean that they are alike in every aspect?

If you read my posts, you will see that my points about San Fran and Vancouver, did not say that. I said that San Fran is the only other city where I've walked down a street, and FELT like I could be in Vancouver. Got it? Also I'm not the only one. Many feel this way. Choose a story and read.

http://bit.ly/2yX4kJM

Seattle just doesn't FEEL that way. I was there just over a year ago.

As for Asian populations....Vancouver's metro is 43 percent asian. Seattle, doesn't come close....San Fran does.
Seattle is growing in that respect, but the latest official 2010 census puts you at 13.8 percent. Even with 7 years growth, I doubt VERY much it is near Vancouver.

http://worldpopulationreview.com/us-...le-population/

So to a Vancouverite, Seattle doesn't feel as asian.

"Forty-three per cent of Metro Vancouver residents have an Asian heritage, which is a much higher proportion than any other major city outside the continent of Asia.

Based on Statistics Canada reports, the number of those with Asian roots in Metro Vancouver will continue to grow at a faster rate than the non-Asian population.

Around the globe, the only major cities outside Asia {*with more than 1.2 million residents} that come close to Metro Vancouver for their portion of residents with Asian backgrounds are San Francisco (33 per cent Asian), London, England (21 per cent), Metro Toronto (35 per cent), Calgary (23 per cent) and Sydney, Australia (19 per cent)."

http://vancouversun.com/life/vancouv...-ramifications

Last edited by Natnasci; 10-29-2017 at 02:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2017, 03:47 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,302,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Why do people assume when someone is comparing two cities that they mean that they are alike in every aspect?

If you read my posts, you will see that my points about San Fran and Vancouver, did not say that. I said that San Fran is the only other city where I've walked down a street, and FELT like I could be in Vancouver. Got it? Also I'm not the only one. Many feel this way. Choose a story and read.

san francisco reminds me of vancouvr - Google Search

Seattle just doesn't FEEL that way. I was there just over a year ago.

As for Asian populations....Vancouver's metro is 43 percent asian. Seattle, doesn't come close....San Fran does.
Seattle is growing in that respect, but the latest official 2010 census puts you at 13.8 percent. Even with 7 years growth, I doubt VERY much it is near Vancouver.

http://worldpopulationreview.com/us-...le-population/

So to a Vancouverite, Seattle doesn't feel as asian.

"Forty-three per cent of Metro Vancouver residents have an Asian heritage, which is a much higher proportion than any other major city outside the continent of Asia.

Based on Statistics Canada reports, the number of those with Asian roots in Metro Vancouver will continue to grow at a faster rate than the non-Asian population.

Around the globe, the only major cities outside Asia {*with more than 1.2 million residents} that come close to Metro Vancouver for their portion of residents with Asian backgrounds are San Francisco (33 per cent Asian), London, England (21 per cent), Metro Toronto (35 per cent), Calgary (23 per cent) and Sydney, Australia (19 per cent)."

Douglas Todd: Vancouver is the most ‘Asian’ city outside Asia | Vancouver Sun

I can pick few aspects or some areas of any two cities and find some parallels and similarities.....but to draw a general comparison Vancouver- San Francisco is absurd....that is all I wanted to say.

Vancouver is much more more similar to Seattle overall.

Old 10-30-2017, 03:18 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,726,313 times
Quote:
At least there are more similarities between Seattle and Vancouver compared to San Francisco....the North European heritage, similar environment, that "Northwest feel" is there for both.

I don't think there is such a thing as the Northwest feel. What does that mean? If you are talking about climate and vegetation, than I simply can't agree because they would mean all tropic cities are a like and that Canadians cities are like Russian ones.

When we say two cities are alike, it is more about how the cities look like in terms of architecture, urban planning, neighbourhoods characters, public spaces, lifestyle and the people etc. I just don't feel Vancouver is in any way similar to Seattle. Their respective downtowns look almost completely different.

Vancouver probably looks and feels more like Toronto than Seattle. Seattle probably looks and feels more like Philadelphia than Vancouver.

I sometimes feel people are reluctant to look beyond the geographic features of cities in comparing cities. Honestly geography doesn't make cities similar. It is the man-made part that make cities cities, not the = oceans and mountains they happen to be close to.

Old 10-30-2017, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
I don't think there is such a thing as the Northwest feel. What does that mean? If you are talking about climate and vegetation, than I simply can't agree because they would mean all tropic cities are a like and that Canadians cities are like Russian ones.

When we say two cities are alike, it is more about how the cities look like in terms of architecture, urban planning, neighbourhoods characters, public spaces, lifestyle and the people etc. I just don't feel Vancouver is in any way similar to Seattle. Their respective downtowns look almost completely different.

Vancouver probably looks and feels more like Toronto than Seattle. Seattle probably looks and feels more like Philadelphia than Vancouver.

I sometimes feel people are reluctant to look beyond the geographic features of cities in comparing cities. Honestly geography doesn't make cities similar. It is the man-made part that make cities cities, not the = oceans and mountains they happen to be close to.

Sure there is the "Northwest feel"....outdoor/mountaineer oriented lifestyle, North European heritage blended in an Anglo cultural setting, some house architecture design/features, food scene, etc.. and, yes, weather, environment, landscape and geographical location are also important points when comparing cities so I would not dismiss it so easily.

Sorry but is not like comparing Cartagena to Bangkok because they happen to be both tropical or comparing Toronto to Moscow.

Yes, I agree Vancouver and Seattle are vastly different in many areas (we discussed this many times before) but, as I said, there are many more similarities between the two than between Vancouver and San Francisco.

Last edited by saturno_v; 10-30-2017 at 10:50 AM..

Old 10-30-2017, 11:22 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,032,639 times
This is a really odd question to me. There are so many variables: architecture, culture, weather, people, food, topography, etc, etc, etc.

Some parts of Boston "remind me" of Montreal. There's a small area of New York (Carroll Gardens in Brooklyn -- complete with a French elementary school!) that "reminds me" of a small area of Montreal (lower Westmount). But reminding me is not twinship.

As I said, there are so many variables. It depends what you're comparing and, even then, every city is unique in its own right.

Old 10-30-2017, 01:02 PM

3,038 posts, read 4,776,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYsX0D5Jb_E&t=55s

And there are plenty of bridges over the LA river.
I would hardly call the bridges in Los Angeles very notable. I live by Los Angeles as well as having lived there before. The bridges in San Francisco are landmarks which is certainly not true of Los Angeles.

Old 10-30-2017, 01:06 PM

3,038 posts, read 4,776,406 times
Quote:
Sure there is the "Northwest feel"....outdoor/mountaineer oriented lifestyle, North European heritage blended in an Anglo cultural setting, some house architecture design/features, food scene, etc.. and, yes, weather, environment, landscape and geographical location are also important points when comparing cities so I would not dismiss it so easily.

Sorry but is not like comparing Cartagena to Bangkok because they happen to be both tropical or comparing Toronto to Moscow.

Yes, I agree Vancouver and Seattle are vastly different in many areas (we discussed this many times before) but, as I said, there are many more similarities between the two than between Vancouver and San Francisco.
Let's face it, there are virtually zero similarities between San Francisco and Vancouver.

Old 10-30-2017, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSoCal View Post
Let's face it, there are virtually zero similarities between San Francisco and Vancouver.
Well...they both have a suspension bridge running, more or less, North-South, a water.inlet and a quite large percentage of Asian population....and pretty much that's it....

Old 10-30-2017, 05:36 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,405,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSoCal View Post
I would hardly call the bridges in Los Angeles very notable. I live by Los Angeles as well as having lived there before. The bridges in San Francisco are landmarks which is certainly not true of Los Angeles.
Few cities in North America have landmark bridges like San Francisco. What ever the case maybe, Los Angeles does have a suspension bridge and many the bridges crossing the river. Maybe you haven't been to those parts of LA.

Old 10-30-2017, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Few cities in North America have landmark bridges like San Francisco. What ever the case maybe, Los Angeles does have a suspension bridge and many the bridges crossing the river. Maybe you haven't been to those parts of LA.
To be fair, any major city in the world have some bridge somewhere....maybe that was what JohnSoCal meant to say....

Last edited by saturno_v; 10-30-2017 at 09:13 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada