Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2015, 11:19 AM

3,379 posts, read 5,533,618 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by modernrebel View Post
Even the far left wing American group called The Young Turks has called out Canadian free speech hypocrisy for what it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lo3aLzkYieo

Great thread, Matt. Hopefully the government won't block this website to create an "approved" City-data.com.ca the way they block Netflix, Youtube, and other sites and made an "approved" Canadian versions that don't feature "unapproved" things.
That dude from the Young Turks is honestly one of the most annoying and unarticulated people I can think of that people watch widespread.

I have nothing new to add to this thread. You pretty much DO get free speech in Canada. The only difference is that it ends when you begin to spout discriminatory hatred. And as BruSan put it best, it has no redeemable value whatsoever, so why should it get a pass?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2015, 06:29 AM

4 posts, read 3,373 times
All of this is absolute insanity, what is happening in Canada. I lived there in the early 90s, where things were bad enough with radical feminism taking a hold.

It got to a point where even women were complaining about feminism and the CBC's almost extremist-left stance.

I shudder to think of what things must be like now, based on everything that I have seen and read. Indeed, it's "Lord of the Flies," where kids in the form of privileged and radicalised university students have taken over every aspect of civil society.

The irony is that there are some countries in the world that are truly undemocratic, though people there are nonetheless much freer than in Canada.

I am somebody who believes in equal rights for all and against violence towards anybody. I nonetheless expect to receive the label of fascist, mysogynist, rape apologist etc.

Old 08-07-2015, 09:54 AM

170 posts, read 182,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Canadian View Post
All of this is absolute insanity, what is happening in Canada. I lived there in the early 90s, where things were bad enough with radical feminism taking a hold.

It got to a point where even women were complaining about feminism and the CBC's almost extremist-left stance.

I shudder to think of what things must be like now, based on everything that I have seen and read. Indeed, it's "Lord of the Flies," where kids in the form of privileged and radicalised university students have taken over every aspect of civil society.

The irony is that there are some countries in the world that are truly undemocratic, though people there are nonetheless much freer than in Canada.

I am somebody who believes in equal rights for all and against violence towards anybody. I nonetheless expect to receive the label of fascist, mysogynist, rape apologist etc.
"Lord of the Flies" is a good comparison and you are spot on about radical feminism. Just look at that comedian who was fined $15,000 for making a joke about lesbians towards a heckler. Come on...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ia47r_3n9M

Court upholds decision to fine Guy Earle $15K for insulting Lorna Pardy | National Post

Sounds like he's just doing what comedians do. Making jokes. But no, he's fined a huge sum that. And that's not all, they fined the bar owner $7,000 also for hosting the comedian. the fact that she was heckling him and insulting him in all kinds of ways before he made jokes about her is of course totally a-OK, but he has to tiptoe around her so she doesn't get her feeling hurt. Apparently the Canadian government thinks that lesbians are so inferior to other people that they need "special help" when a comedian rebuts their insults with some jokes. It's really out of control.

Old 08-07-2015, 10:10 AM

30 posts, read 31,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Canadian View Post

The problem with Canada is that the level of conformity (the "beehive" mentality) rules the day. It's better to keep your head down rather than do anything extraordinary or stand up for anything. It's no wonder the brain drain sees most of Canada's brightest leave for the U.S. where their innovation is applauded instead of discouraged.

Old 08-07-2015, 10:11 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,480,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCassidy View Post
"Lord of the Flies" is a good comparison and you are spot on about radical feminism. Just look at that comedian who was fined $15,000 for making a joke about lesbians towards a heckler. Come on...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ia47r_3n9M

Court upholds decision to fine Guy Earle $15K for insulting Lorna Pardy | National Post

Sounds like he's just doing what comedians do. Making jokes. But no, he's fined a huge sum that. And that's not all, they fined the bar owner $7,000 also for hosting the comedian. the fact that she was heckling him and insulting him in all kinds of ways before he made jokes about her is of course totally a-OK, but he has to tiptoe around her so she doesn't get her feeling hurt. Apparently the Canadian government thinks that lesbians are so inferior to other people that they need "special help" when a comedian rebuts their insults with some jokes. It's really out of control.
Who shives-a-git?

Have you taken to talking to the mirror over the toilet tank now Matt? Did "Not Canadian" fortunately materialize as soon as you found that obscure article about a crappy comedian getting his azz handed to him?

Old 08-07-2015, 10:14 AM

30 posts, read 31,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Who shives-a-git?

Have you taken to talking to the mirror over the toilet tank now Matt? Did "Not Canadian" fortunately materialize as soon as you found that obscure article about a crappy comedian getting his azz handed to him?
The sheepish mentality of Canada steams on.

Old 08-07-2015, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Who shives-a-git?

I can assure you that my appearance is simply coincidental. What I wrote was based on my own experiences in the country. It may be that the presence of the Internet and proliferation of social media have made certain cases of radical feminism and political correctness more visible, but I also believe that things have worsened there.

There are feminists from other countries who think that things there are crazy. Or are they not feminists now because they don't subscribe to a warped extremist ideology of either feminism or political correctness?

Canada is truly becoming an undemocratic society.

Old 08-07-2015, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian veteran View Post
The problem with Canada is that the level of conformity (the "beehive" mentality) rules the day. It's better to keep your head down rather than do anything extraordinary or stand up for anything. It's no wonder the brain drain sees most of Canada's brightest leave for the U.S. where their innovation is applauded instead of discouraged.
I knew somebody when I lived in Canada who had bad problems with conformism and could not conceive of not doing something in a group or subscribing to groupthink. He seemed to truly have problems forming his own ideas even about basic things. Indeed, the only independent emotions he seemed to be able to display is when somebody would not conform to a group.

He lived in the 80s in British Columbia, but wound up coming back east as he could not deal withe the fact that people there seemed to be more independent. He also complained about people in Vancouver having long hair.

He has not left where he is originally from in 20 years, which I think has proved beneficial to the rest of this planet.

Old 08-07-2015, 12:32 PM

2,829 posts, read 3,172,158 times
I see the trolls with newbie accounts are thriving in this vaguely trollish rant thread.

Old 08-07-2015, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post
I see the trolls with newbie accounts are thriving in this vaguely trollish rant thread.
Just because people disagree they are trolls?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada