Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2015, 06:57 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
your Head of State has seen her Jubilee year. Stability is what you have that we do not. You know when she retires her son or grandson will take her place. We do not have that luxury. .
I am not sure I consider getting Charles Windsor as our ''King'' and head of state automatically without having any say in the matter, to be a ''luxury" or even a positive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2015, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post
As an immigrant to Canada myself, along with my parents who are living in Vancouver now, we didn't exactly move to Canada because of its awesome culture lol. We moved here because of its relative stability, good living standards and physical environment, and a functional democratic government with a high degree of freedom and rule of law. Mutual respect, tolerance, and decency towards your fellow citizens. Look around the world today, and tell me that's not something to be proud of, not something to deeply cherish?
Very very few people would dispute that Canada is all that. But that's not what we are talking about here.

Old 09-30-2015, 07:02 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,303,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Stating something in that manner is supposed leave you in factual awe; just as stating Canada does not have a unique culture from the U.S. is supposed to be taken as fact. It's actually a load of codswallop.

Any number of things from our belief in Universal Healthcare, firearm policies, far less pervasive religiosity and parliamentary system to name just a few, clearly set us apart CULTURALLY.

A culture is not solely defined by what entertainment it is inundated with.
Culture | Definition of culture by Merriam-Webster
Nobody said the Canada and the US are identical...

Old 09-30-2015, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migratory Chicken View Post
It's not wrong, nor humiliating. As said, every country is interested in American culture to some extent. It's just unusual that in Canada it ends up taking even the place that local culture would occupy in other countries. (And no, in my opinion, it doesn't make Canadians more worldly than other nations.) But that's okay, if it's what Canadians want.

However, it does fall into a pattern of Canadian identity being somewhat vague and hard to identify, which (for example) might make it difficult for immigrants to integrate, since they don't know what they would integrate into. On the other hand, other immigrants enjoy Canadian identity being not very well defined, since they can make it their own. Really, it's a matter of personal preference.
I think one reason this topic keeps coming up is the denial that this is true. I realize that it is annoying to be reminded of this from time to time, and that the side effects (being mistaken for Americans, being lopped in with them, etc.) are also annoying. I mean, when you're living in Anglo-Canada, it's actually not so bad because only a few people like Mel Hurtig and Pierre Berton types see this as an issue and talk about it. Otherwise it's just the ''norm" and the people who try and push Canadian stuff (outside of its handful of strong areas like rock music, CBC radio, hockey lore, etc.) are actually in the minority and the "fringe" ones.

You're more confronted by it when you travel abroad, or have outspoken visitors from abroad, or participate in online forums such as these where people are from Anglo-Canada.

The ironic thing about it is that if Anglo-Canadians truly don't like this, they hold the power in their hands to make the change.

But because most of them don't, they often sound like overweight people who eat junk food and don't exercise, and complain that nobody ever compliments them on their trim physique.

Old 09-30-2015, 07:07 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,883,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Very very few people would dispute that Canada is all that. But that's not what we are talking about here.
Why not though - what exactly are we discussing in this thread? It seems pretty open ended to me... Or is it that the same players relish in bringing the same thing up regardless of the thread - somewhere along the lines that Canadians or pardon me - should I say English Canadians don't have enough native or homegrown entertainment (notice how I didn't say culture recognizing Brusan's post) to celebrate and cherish and that we import it all from the U.S - wow lets just talk about that over and over again AJ because well its the favoured topic to discuss among the 'anti four'..

Its not a matter of being in denial or not recognizing that we have the power to change or not, but seriously, it always seems to get railroaded into this discussion ad-nauseam..

Old 09-30-2015, 07:08 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,493,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
Nobody said the Canada and the US are identical...
Oh; all right then, carry on.

Old 09-30-2015, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Why not though - what exactly are we discussing in this thread? It seems pretty open ended to me... Or is it that the same players relish in bringing the same thing up regardless of the thread - somewhere along the lines that Canadians or pardon me - should I say English Canadians don't have enough native or homegrown entertainment (notice how I didn't say culture recognizing Brusan's post) to celebrate and cherish and that we import it all from the U.S - wow lets just talk about that over and over again AJ because well its the favoured topic to discuss among the 'anti four'..

Its not a matter of being in denial or not recognizing that we have the power to change or not, but seriously, it always seems to get railroaded into this discussion ad-nauseum..
We can discuss that angle if you want of course.

But it's not really an effective counter argument. It's like talking about extreme poverty in Haiti and then someone counters that it has nice tropical beaches.

Old 09-30-2015, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Stating something in that manner is supposed leave you in factual awe; just as stating Canada does not have a unique culture from the U.S. is supposed to be taken as fact. It's actually a load of codswallop.

Any number of things from our belief in Universal Healthcare, firearm policies, far less pervasive religiosity and parliamentary system to name just a few, clearly set us apart CULTURALLY.

A culture is not solely defined by what entertainment it is inundated with.
Culture | Definition of culture by Merriam-Webster
That's a broad definition of culture. It's fine. If we go with that the average level of cultural commonality between any two western developed countries is probably around 70%.

England-UK is probably 80-85%.

Anglo-Canada vs. the US is probably 90-95%.

Old 09-30-2015, 07:16 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,883,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
We can discuss that angle if you want of course.

But it's not really an effective counter argument. It's like talking about extreme poverty in Haiti and then someone counters that it has nice tropical beaches.
You've been in these forums long enough to know that there are mountains of threads on the topic that you and some others enjoy talking about the most and that is lack of English Canadian culture.. I thought Brusan opened things up to expand on what is culture and what is our values that do bring to the table our own identity but naturally that would simply be dismissed. Why? Well because it doesn't play well into the favourite topic of course..

With that said, heck if BK wants to bring to bear some things as a recent transplant here that he appreciates - in these forums what he wrote is a breath of fresh air.. Sorry AJ - continue with the analysis of the peculiarities with respect to lack of homegrown English Canadian culture

Old 09-30-2015, 07:21 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,430,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post

You cannot because we can not test it But I did bring you the example of Austria and Germany and Latin American countries.
No, no. Of course I do agree with you on that part, but most of these countries/cultures have been around for a very, very long time and are established. Canada and the US are two very young siblings still figuring out their way in this world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada