Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2016, 04:08 AM

19 posts, read 19,649 times

Advertisements

As an American, how can I move to Canada?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2016, 04:34 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
You need to start checking this site=
Citizenship and Immigration Canada
Dont set your hopes too high as its a tough process with no guarantees of success.
With the amount of people suddenly wanting to immigrate from USA to Canada i get the impression the good ship America is sinking. I do hope all these potential immigrants from the USA dont end up sinking our ship as well.One tip is to leave behind your maniacal obsession with politics if you come to Canada.

Old 03-07-2016, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
You need to start checking this site=
Citizenship and Immigration Canada
Dont set your hopes too high as its a tough process with no guarantees of success.
With the amount of people suddenly wanting to immigrate from USA to Canada i get the impression the good ship America is sinking. I do hope all these potential immigrants from the USA dont end up sinking our ship as well.One tip is to leave behind your maniacal obsession with politics if you come to Canada.
Can I come to Canada and make an asylum claim?

Old 03-07-2016, 06:17 AM

2,169 posts, read 5,171,745 times
You can try but odds are against success:

Black U.S. citizen Kyle Canty denied refugee status in Canada - British Columbia - CBC News

Americans: Thinking About Seeking Refuge in Canada? Think Again - RYOT News

Old 03-07-2016, 06:37 AM

2,869 posts, read 4,452,265 times
Claim asylum in Canada ? On what grounds ?

Please make up your mind.........at first you asked about Immigration, now you are talking about trying to claim refugee status.

Feel free to explain just what you are trying to do .

Jim B.

Old 03-07-2016, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
Claim asylum in Canada ? On what grounds ?

Please make up your mind.........at first you asked about Immigration, now you are talking about trying to claim refugee status.

Feel free to explain just what you are trying to do .

Jim B.
I would like to immigrate but I don't think I will be accepted since I am not in the skilled workers category.
So, I am trying to find out other ways to do it.
All roads lead to Rome(Or Canada in this case)

Last edited by ManUTD12; 03-07-2016 at 06:53 AM..

Old 03-07-2016, 07:08 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,726,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManUTD12 View Post
I would like to immigrate but I don't think I will be accepted since I am not in the skilled workers category.
I support you.

Like you said, all roads lead to Rome. If you are not qualified under the skilled workers category (fewer and fewer people are nowadays as the policy is becoming extremely restrictive), there are other ways to do it, if you are really determined. You will just have to be creative. For example, many Chinese in the past immigrated to Canada under refugee category claiming to be Falungong persecution victims when 99% of them never practiced Falungong.

Maybe you can marry a Canadian who wants American citizenship (won't be too hard to find). In that case both of you get what you want.

Old 03-07-2016, 07:25 AM

676 posts, read 961,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManUTD12 View Post
I believe if you live for one year with someone who is at least a permanent resident of Canada, they can sponsor you for PR as well.

Old 03-07-2016, 08:20 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Depending on your desperation to leave the USA You could always just come to Canada for a short vacation and then just stay,Youd be considered an Illegal and you'd have to acquire all manner of fake id but maybe you'll get lucky and no one will ever notice.
What exactly are you fleeing from in the USA as many people around the world view America as the best country in the world and would love to have your privileged American citizenship status. Are you really feeling that you are on par with refugee status?

Old 03-07-2016, 08:30 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,726,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Depending on your desperation to leave the USA You could always just come to Canada for a short vacation and then just stay,Youd be considered an Illegal and you'd have to acquire all manner of fake id but maybe you'll get lucky and no one will ever notice.
What exactly are you fleeing from in the USA as many people around the world view America as the best country in the world and would love to have your privileged American citizenship status. Are you really feeling that you are on par with refugee status?
it only shows most people in the world aren't that smart, don't really know much about the world, or America.

Based on my experiences (and years of reflection about such matters), the US is only the best place among rich countries if one believes cheaper prices are more important than anything else in life (I admit sometimes I envy the American price too, but as you get older you do realize buying more doesn't really improve your life that much).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada