Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2016, 01:17 AM

15,102 posts, read 15,883,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Easy to say when living in Toronto.Might be a little more relevant if you lived in Quebec and were constantly watching your culture get systematically eradicated.
Dan Delmar: French’s ‘defenders,’ growing more radical, would quash spoken English from public life | National Post
Jambo if I may ask what exactly is the appeal of being an anglo in Montreal? Granted its a fantastic city but aside from that it isn't like an Anglo in Quebec who is unhappy about what is going on there can't move freely to other Provinces. I don't mean to sound insensitive and I totally get that it is home for so many anglo's with generational roots but Quebec is 8 million of 36 in this nation. It isn't as if there aren't plenty of other places in this huge nation that wouldn't cater to an anglo or even to people of other cultures.. A place is a place but ultimately its the atmosphere and people that make somewhere worth living. Are you sure you can't do better elsewhere? I'm sure you can. Sometimes its better to walk away!

Last edited by fusion2; 05-06-2016 at 01:35 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2016, 04:11 AM

3,625 posts, read 3,412,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Jambo if I may ask what exactly is the appeal of being an anglo in Montreal? Granted its a fantastic city but aside from that it isn't like an Anglo in Quebec who is unhappy about what is going on there can't move freely to other Provinces. I don't mean to sound insensitive and I totally get that it is home for so many anglo's with generational roots but Quebec is 8 million of 36 in this nation. It isn't as if there aren't plenty of other places in this huge nation that wouldn't cater to an anglo or even to people of other cultures.. A place is a place but ultimately its the atmosphere and people that make somewhere worth living. Are you sure you can't do better elsewhere? I'm sure you can. Sometimes its better to walk away!
This is my question too, Jambo.

I'm a sixth-generation Canadian (our family arrived in 1842 or so), and all my family lived in Ontario. I can go to graveyards in Hastings County, Ontario; and visit my great-great-grandparents' graves. I grew up in Toronto, went to school there, and so on. There are more relatives' graves in Toronto cemeteries, by the way. I know Toronto like the back of my hand; I'd in fact guess that I know more about Toronto than most current Torontonians. I don't need a TTC map; I know where I'm going on TTC.

Yet here I am in Alberta. And I like it. I guess my point is that you don't have to stay where you are.

Jambo, if Quebec bothers you so much, there are other provinces where Quebec does not figure so much in daily affairs.

Old 05-06-2016, 05:30 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
Sure i'd move tomorrow if it was that easy but i have a wife who is still a few years away from retirement,a daughter still going to McGill so i'm kind of stuck at the moment.
However the question is more about why i feel the need to move in the first place,Why are there so many rules and regulations banning the use of my language and by default my culture,why am i made to feel like my culture is irrelevant and needs to be eradicated?.
How would you feel if i came to where you live and imposed all manner of linguistic rules and regulations on what language you must speak,what language you must conduct your business, Effectively driving your culture into obscurity.

Old 05-06-2016, 08:08 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times
Regarding Quebec's anglos...

Everyone has their own definition of what's acceptable and what isn't.

A good number of Quebec anglos seem reasonably OK with the situation, and another large chunk are not.

Not surprisingly, I don't really think it's that bad and it's certainly the best minority language situation in Canada with the possible exception of Acadians in New Brunswick.

Sure there are irritants but there will be irritants (linguistic or otherwise) anywhere you are going to live.

I moved to Quebec from Ontario (where I live at the time) because I wanted access to more stuff in French and I thought it would be a better place to raise francophone kids. That doesn't mean I think Ontario is a hellish place for francophones. Just not my personal preference.

I don't understand why it's such a big deal if X number of anglophones in Quebec come to a similar conclusion. The UN, the Dalai Lama and Mother Teresa need not get involved.

Old 05-06-2016, 08:45 AM

10,016 posts, read 12,580,750 times
Any marriage between the two countries is just totally unthinkable. We are as different as the Russians are from the Turks. Our national value systems are totally at odds. We are not war mongers in the least opposed to the USA being perhaps the most war mongering nation on earth. Our justice system is as apolitical as is humanly possible while the US justice system is completely political. We abhor the influence of money in politics and have outlawed it almost completely whereas in the USA every single political position in the country is for sale. Canada has been fairly successful in the fight against racism and we as a nation embrace multiculturalism while in the USA racism is well and kicking and anti immigrant feelings are quite dominant. Our entire system of land ownership is completely at odds with the system in the USA. 90% of the land in Canada is owned by the Crown. No one complains about this fact yet in the USA we hear constant complaints about public lands even though they only comprise 28% of the total land area of the country. The list just goes on and on and on of the major differences between our two countries. There are however many similarities among our people. My American cousins are not much different than myself in most respects, however as I have pointed out our systems of governance is completely at odds with each other. It's really an ironic thing that the Canadian federal government has the powers that an American federal government is supposed to have by the American constitution. Our provinces have the powers that American states are supposed to have but don't have because of a massive, overbearing federal government in Washington.

Just take the issue of healthcare for example. Here it's primarily a provincial responsibility with the feds only acting as a sort of referee insuring minimum standards are maintained and of course dividing up the revenues as fairly as they can to the various provinces to fund their provincial plans. In the USA of course we see a federal government trying very unsuccessfully to bring healthcare fairly to all Americans. It's not possible now, in the past or ever but they will still pour trillions down the drain in their misguided attempts to fix the system that is unfixable. That I guess brings me to my last point about irreconcilable differences between the countries. Canadians, both the people and the government are pragmatists. If something does not seem to work we will abandon it and try something else. Americans on the other hand I see as doctrinaire in their personal and corporate selves. They will keep on trying the same failing thing forever because according to what they believe it should work. This kind of thinking can lead to some mighty big disasters like, "let's bring freedom and democracy to the people of Iraq". A Canadian would say, "Hundreds of years of history and experience shows us that this will be a monumental failure and so therefore we want nothing to do with it".

Last edited by lucknow; 05-06-2016 at 09:40 AM..

Old 05-06-2016, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Sure i'd move tomorrow if it was that easy but i have a wife who is still a few years away from retirement,a daughter still going to McGill so i'm kind of stuck at the moment.
However the question is more about why i feel the need to move in the first place,Why are there so many rules and regulations banning the use of my language and by default my culture,why am i made to feel like my culture is irrelevant and needs to be eradicated?.
How would you feel if i came to where you live and imposed all manner of linguistic rules and regulations on what language you must speak,what language you must conduct your business, Effectively driving your culture into obscurity.
I get the family part Jambo but ultimately don't let it impact your QOL.. I believe you are retired and this is the golden years!! Enjoy them man.. I'm not thinking of politics here, i'm really thinking about you and yours and hope you make the best decision for all involved when the time is right. Pick up a Trailer and travel through this glorious continent of ours... Its 'yours to discover'

Old 05-06-2016, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
I know Toronto like the back of my hand; I'd in fact guess that I know more about Toronto than most current Torontonians. I don't need a TTC map; I know where I'm going on TTC.
Ha! I'm working on besting you on that front my friend.. Its only a matter of time when i'll be the tour guide

Old 05-06-2016, 08:12 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,560,052 times
Quote:
Have you thought about Vancouver Island as a place to move to one day? There are some lovely spots where housing isn't too crazy,
A friends brother retired to Parksville and loves it.

Old 05-07-2016, 12:28 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,043,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Have you thought about Vancouver Island as a place to move to one day? There are some lovely spots where housing isn't too crazy,
A friends brother retired to Parksville and loves it.
I bet Jambo would fit in there as snug as a bug in a rug but I'm guessing it's probably too far away from Florida for him.

Old 05-07-2016, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
I bet Jambo would fit in there as snug as a bug in a rug but I'm guessing it's probably too far away from Florida for him.

Notice I said other parts of Canada without narrowing it down... Gosh you B.C people are opportunists

what comes next - youtube video's of beautiful B.C/Vancouver island scenery, people cycling through Stanley Park and people swimming with dolphins lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada