Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2016, 07:15 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,956,715 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
A friend had an interesting thought. He wonders if perhaps Trudeau went into " teachers mode ". The way he strode over looks very much like a teacher ready to grab a pupil by the ear and drag them out of a tussle.
I wondered that too. Teachers are weird in that it is their job to tell children what to do (such as whether they have permission to use the toilet), and many then unwittingly transition to telling adults what to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2016, 07:16 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,493,436 times
Quote:
A friend had an interesting thought. He wonders if perhaps Trudeau went into " teachers mode ". The way he strode over looks very much like a teacher ready to grab a pupil by the ear and drag them out of a tussle.
I'll say it's interesting. What are the salaries of senior teachers these days? Perhaps we should just hire a bunch of them to run the government from that building. Think of the savings to the taxpayers as they already have their own pension fund and know how to behave in class.

Old 05-20-2016, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
I'll say it's interesting. What are the salaries of senior teachers these days? Perhaps we should just hire a bunch of them to run the government from that building. Think of the savings to the taxpayers as they already have their own pension fund and know how to behave in class.
Depends on the province, but some teacher salaries are comparable to politician salaries in the range over $100k.

Teachers running the country would be a dictatorship - a bit like what we saw with Trudeau this week.

Old 05-20-2016, 07:27 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,369,018 times
Quote:
Hmm, maybe, like if he were a nun carrying a strap. I believe if any teacher tried to get physical with students nowadays, they'd be hauled out of the classroom and the students would all receive counselling from social workers.

Old 05-20-2016, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa2011 View Post
Hmm, maybe, like if he were a nun carrying a strap. I believe if any teacher tried to get physical with students nowadays, they'd be hauled out of the classroom and the students would all receive counselling from social workers.
True. Even though teachers no longer manhandle students, they still exert their will on the group, and the group will comply. Teachers have to win - it's part of the job.

Trudeau was born in 1960? The strap was still used in public school in some provinces and cities until 1970, when Justin Trudeau was in grade school. He would have been familiar with corporal punishment from early childhood.

He is awfully strident in his attitudes about what others should do, and how to enforce that attitude.

Old 05-20-2016, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daynet View Post
I just read this article a few minutes ago.

PM's elbow meets MP's chest and a Twitter trend is born

"Elbowgate" !
And what did you think?

Politicians pointed out that this was unfortunately reduced to "elbow gate" where "the woman", "pulling crap", was used to distract the public from the real issue:

Trudeau is a bad "feminist"

Old 05-21-2016, 08:31 AM

15,102 posts, read 15,883,952 times
This whole thing with Sophie could be a part of it. Nothing makes a partner lose it more when their partner is under strain. I mean sure Laureen got by with one staffer but we all know more people these days want a piece of Sophie than ever wanting anything from Laureen.

Old 05-21-2016, 09:11 AM

7,681 posts, read 5,530,949 times
The female MP who was elbowed:

Quote:
My office has received countless phone calls ... saying it is my fault, I should be ashamed, I should resign, I should apologize, it is my fault," a visibly shaken Brosseau said during a conversation at her Ottawa office
Quote:
This kind of attention, I didn't ask for it."

She also said it remains painful to have to justify what she experienced, adding she feels like she is being attacked from all sides when she insists she did nothing wrong.

"If I was a man and I was hit in the nuts, would we having the same conversation? I don't know," Brosseau said.

"And then (people are asking), 'Was she hit hard enough in the breast?' Do I have justify how hard I was hit in the breast? It doesn't matter."
Brosseau on Trudeau: 'Do I have justify how hard I was hit in the breast?' - Winnipeg Free Press

That should not be happening!

Old 05-21-2016, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
True. Even though teachers no longer manhandle students, they still exert their will on the group, and the group will comply. Teachers have to win - it's part of the job.

Trudeau was born in 1960? The strap was still used in public school in some provinces and cities until 1970, when Justin Trudeau was in grade school. He would have been familiar with corporal punishment from early childhood.

He is awfully strident in his attitudes about what others should do, and how to enforce that attitude.
A bit OT: I actually attended a Catholic school where they were still using the strap till the late 1980s--and apparently the staff weren't aware that they were no longer allowed to be doing that. There was a tussle with a student who physically fought back, and I'm not sure what happened to the school staff, but the student received some ongoing counselling from a social worker. I think his "bouncer" work experience is probably more relevant to his behaviour, but that's just wild speculation.

Old 05-21-2016, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
The partisan nature of the aftermath of all this, means that any sense of proportion will be thrown out the window. The opposition will milk it for all it's worth, for as long as possible, and there's no reason why they shouldn't, really. Liberals would do the same thing if the shoe was on the other foot. Getting physical on the floor of Parliament was a daffy idea. Huge messy mistake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada