Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2016, 12:04 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,607,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
The report I heard was not unbalanced. It didn't really focus on the death threat. It was more about how the gay imam was a courageous trailblazer.

Still don't know why people can make death threats in public in Canada under the guise of religion. I thought this was illegal.

Imagine if a Catholic bishop talked about gays as committing a mortal sin... what the reaction would be.
Depends where you are in the world. This is the same Catholic Church in the linked story. Perhaps it has more to do with how they perceive the reaction of their followers in different parts of the world.

https://malawi24.com/2016/03/14/cath...homosexuality/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2016, 12:09 PM

7,684 posts, read 5,552,932 times
The Orlando shooter's anti-social behaviour dates back to childhood. He was disciplined 31 times in elementary school and frequently talked about violence and sex. When he was 9 or 10 years old he even threatened to bring a gun to school and kill everyone.

Files: Mateen disciplined 31 times in elementary school - CNN Video

Old 06-19-2016, 01:17 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,607,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
The Orlando shooter's anti-social behaviour dates back to childhood. He was disciplined 31 times in elementary school and frequently talked about violence and sex. When he was 9 or 10 years old he even threatened to bring a gun to school and kill everyone.

Files: Mateen disciplined 31 times in elementary school - CNN Video
Interesting. Anything out yet about his high school years?

Old 06-19-2016, 01:54 PM

21,495 posts, read 10,615,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
Thoughts on Orlando without having read any of this thread (because I don't want to develop an aneurism): typical weekly American happening that will in turn dredge up yet another low-IQ gun defense debate, nothing is solved, the problem will persist, and the discussion will return to City Data ad nauseam until the USA has another revolution that doesn't suck.

I do not claim to know definitively whether or not this was a radicalization thing or an anti-gay thing. Probably more likely an anti-gay thing. Regardless, the main problem is the USA has a gun problem it doesn't want to talk about.
Let's see. Mateen pledged allegiance to ISIS while in the club. He had viewed a lot of ISIS propaganda and the beheading videos. He had a co-conspirator (his wife). He was reported to the FBI a couple of years ago because he was talking about becoming a martyr. His high school classmates said he cheered when the second plane went into the World Trade Center on 9/11 and said America was getting what it deserved. His name came to the FBI's attention again when his friend went to Syria and became a suicide bomber.

Naw, it sounds like an anti-gay thing. Nothing to do with radical Islam.

Old 06-19-2016, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
You are making a huge leap. There is a HUGE difference between one aspect of Afghan culture and gay bars.

However we are talking about HIM, so at least you are seeing that you could be wrong about him. I may be proven wrong as more evidence if any, comes forward. Until them, I'm sticking to what we know.

As an aside, gay hook up apps, like he used, are not part of Afghan culture.
No, what I'm seeing is there is a lot of denial on this forum about his motives.

Old 06-19-2016, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Could have, would have, should have. I'm going by what we know so far. It doesn't help his ex-wife ( whose family says is frightened ) or anyone by having people gossip and jump to conclusions ESPECIALLY since the investigation isn't over.

As I said before. I'm going by the known facts.
If she was frightened, then why not turn him in to the FBI instead of allowing him to kill 49 people? There was her opportunity to get rid of him. Why did she instead take him to scout different locations, drive him to the club, and reply to his text inquiry about whether the shooting made the news with "I love you"?

Old 06-19-2016, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Why yes, as a matter of fact. His old classmates said when they were freshmen and the teacher brought a television into the classroom on Sept 11, he cheered when he saw the second plane go into the tower. He got suspended a few days later for fighting, probably because his classmates didn't like his reaction.

Old 06-19-2016, 03:32 PM

7,310 posts, read 9,356,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
The report I heard was not unbalanced. It didn't really focus on the death threat. It was more about how the gay imam was a courageous trailblazer.

Still don't know why people can make death threats in public in Canada under the guise of religion. I thought this was illegal.

Imagine if a Catholic bishop talked about gays as committing a mortal sin... what the reaction would be.
??? The Catholic Church does consider homosexuality a mortal sin as far as I know.....

Old 06-19-2016, 03:46 PM

7,684 posts, read 5,552,932 times
Quote:
Yup. His anti-social behavior continued in middle school and high school:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/orlando-g...175739221.html

Old 06-19-2016, 04:04 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,382,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Let's see. Mateen pledged allegiance to ISIS while in the club. He had viewed a lot of ISIS propaganda and the beheading videos. He had a co-conspirator (his wife). He was reported to the FBI a couple of years ago because he was talking about becoming a martyr. His high school classmates said he cheered when the second plane went into the World Trade Center on 9/11 and said America was getting what it deserved. His name came to the FBI's attention again when his friend went to Syria and became a suicide bomber.

Naw, it sounds like an anti-gay thing. Nothing to do with radical Islam.
It always comes down the very similar profile of anyone who commits mass murder..whether it's workplace or sports venues/ clubs/ government buildings/Law Enforcement Police Stations/ and yes even in Canada..Those with mental instability , who feel disenfranchised or marginalized will eventually seek anyway out when psycho-sexual-impotency-unsuccessful always want to go out with a BANG!!

The Flavour of the month or should I say past years IS..Associate yourself with ISIL..That's ensures notoriety for themselves as they leave the world.

What's different from American ( small but LOUD) folks..Love to swallow all the hateful bigoted speech..and fan flames..It's actually undermining what ALL American's seem to demand..FREEDOMS afforded to them under their Constitution. But those fanning those flames conveniently forget all about what else is embedded into that CONSTITUTION! Ohh wait..2nd Amendment does also stand out too!

Canada in general refuses to fall to what GOP Nominee preaches along with social media hyped to blast out and repeat it ad nauseam :roll eyes: The call for banning Muslim refugees/immigrants and Trump's declaration that THEY ARE flooding your boarders is ALL based on LIE's!! Obviously Banning Muslim Immigrants is against the Constitution ( no Religious Tests allowed)!

I say Trump's constant exaggerations of everything will eventually catch up with him.. Your Floods of Syrian Refrugees stand at about 4000 . Canadian Syrian Refugees is already at 27,000+ .. Taking into account Canadian POP is about 10% of USA..Sure sounds Trump's bigotry spreading such LIES smacks of " Fear Mongering" and many here on this site alone have picked up that "Pitch Fork" ..Salem Witch Hunt anyone?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Refuge...rian_Civil_War

Quote:
United States 4,035 (resettled) [24]

Canada 47,388 (applicants to May 2016)
30,486 (approved)
27,580 (resettled)[17]

#WelcomeRefugees: Canada resettles Syrian refugees
Quote:
#WelcomeRefugees: Canada resettles Syrian refugees
The Government of Canada resettled 25,000 Syrian refugees between November 2015 and February 29, 2016. This included government-supported and privately sponsored refugees. Find out what we did.
This above kind of explains my remarks about all those with their "Hair on Fire" running around with their Pitch fork propaganda on social media!! The NUMBERS don't lie..but the Trumpster sure does!!

Last edited by Lyndarn; 06-19-2016 at 04:19 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada