Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2016, 07:09 PM

7,680 posts, read 5,529,153 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Was there ever a point in time where there was an intentional effort to get rid of French in Quebec? I knew an old lady that lived in Cape Breton Island, Nova Scotia, and I remember her telling me that if her teachers heard the kids speaking Gaelic, they would wash their mouths out with soap. This would have been in the 1920's or 30's. Did this sort of thing Happen in Quebec?
I don't know how that could have happened. In rural Quebec I imagine most of the teachers didn't even know English. There was no reason for them to learn it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2016, 07:51 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,398,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CloudReader View Post
That part is surprising. If someone in France didn't have enough knowledge of English or German or whatever language the SDS is in, how does he act in case of emergency? Maybe someone local is translating after importation?

Typically, Europe requires more effort to access the market. I went through the CE certification process a year ago (specialized industrial equipment) and it was far more time-consuming than what the US/Canada/Australia requires. Only jurisdictions I know of that require more are China and Japan.
I have been shipping to Europe, the UK to a distributor who re-sells to all of Europe with no problem and has for over 20 years, plus some direct shipments where necessary. English is the Internationale Language of trade everywhere it seems, except Canada.

I have visited Europe 7 times, various Countries, and never needed an interpreter as they all spoke English. Quebec must be behind the times as even the French do. I suspect each company, if necessary, does their own internal translating. Obviously Canada does not have the ability, or at least thinks the businesses do not. I also ship to China, Japan and most of South East Asia and in reality most of the balance of the World. Special products. Never had a problem until now and only with Canada it seems.

i have nothing against Canadians as I have many friends there not just business associates. This rule makes no sense and makes Canada look bad, especially the addiction to requiring French in everything because of one Province. It is like the balance of Canada is a slave to the French speaking citizens.

Old 12-14-2016, 08:35 PM

9,532 posts, read 16,518,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
I believe Canada has two official languages, French and English. French culture is very old in Quebec, of course people there will speak French. The areas of northern Maine adjacent to Quebec also have French speakers, most Americans just don't know this fact.

Why are does Canada allow them to speak French?? Well maybe because it's a free country that does not dictate what language is to be spoken. Here in the USA we "allow" millions in the southwest to speak Spanish, and we have for hundreds of years. You could say that Spanish is an unofficial second language of the USA. In fact most nations have multiple languages spoken within their borders.
That's true with Maine, as well as parts of NH. When driving across the Mass NH border. The Welcome Sign is in both French and English. I can understand why French is spoken in Quebec. Most in that province can speak both languages.

Old 12-14-2016, 08:37 PM

1,378 posts, read 737,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayVanderbilt View Post
I have never understood this. The official language in Canada is English. Why do Canadians allow Quebecers people to speak French? Why do they allow them to have signs etc in French? Just force them to learn the language of their own country. I don't understand Quebecers are even allowed to vote when they can't understand what the politicians are saying.
Actually, i just googled it, and it said that English AND French are both the official languages, so saying the official language is just English is wrong.

Besides, why do you care anyway?

Old 12-14-2016, 08:51 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,325,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Now any product must have a English and French label and all Safety Data Sheets must be in both languages if a product is sold into Canada. this is NOT going to be good for the Canadian economy as companies like one I own simply will not take the time and expense necessary to do something so stupid. No sales into Canada after the 1st of January and several companies depend on our products.
So someone else that either wants the market or respects the laws and customs of another country. Personally if an American company wants to tell a large minority of our country that that's people's safety is less important then a company needing to adhere to the law so be it. Someone will take tour place

Old 12-14-2016, 09:00 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,955,226 times
Quote:
I have never understood this. The official language in Canada is English. Why do Canadians allow Quebecers people to speak French? Why do they allow them to have signs etc in French? Just force them to learn the language of their own country. I don't understand Quebecers are even allowed to vote when they can't understand what the politicians are saying.
Canada is not the only country with more than one official language.

Old 12-14-2016, 09:03 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,325,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
I have been shipping to Europe, the UK to a distributor who re-sells to all of Europe with no problem and has for over 20 years, plus some direct shipments where necessary. English is the Internationale Language of trade everywhere it seems, except Canada.

I have visited Europe 7 times, various Countries, and never needed an interpreter as they all spoke English. Quebec must be behind the times as even the French do. I suspect each company, if necessary, does their own internal translating. Obviously Canada does not have the ability, or at least thinks the businesses do not. I also ship to China, Japan and most of South East Asia and in reality most of the balance of the World. Special products. Never had a problem until now and only with Canada it seems.

i have nothing against Canadians as I have many friends there not just business associates. This rule makes no sense and makes Canada look bad, especially the addiction to requiring French in everything because of one Province. It is like the balance of Canada is a slave to the French speaking citizens.
Two provinces plus large settlements outside of Quebec hence more than one Province, about one in 5 Canadians are French and the laws guarantee them Lange rights go back to the 1700s, you know around your Constitution was written. We could scrap our laws, history and snub a large minority of our people to make you feel good. If you are willing to abandon this market for that reason your company must be doing very well.

Old 12-15-2016, 06:59 AM

26,882 posts, read 38,032,223 times
As our American friends are fond of saying: C'est la vie!

Old 12-15-2016, 07:05 AM

26,882 posts, read 38,032,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Was there ever a point in time where there was an intentional effort to get rid of French in Quebec? I knew an old lady that lived in Cape Breton Island, Nova Scotia, and I remember her telling me that if her teachers heard the kids speaking Gaelic, they would wash their mouths out with soap. This would have been in the 1920's or 30's. Did this sort of thing Happen in Quebec?
No this was never done in Quebec. I suppose it would not have been politically or demographically feasible to attempt something like this, even if someone, sometime would have been tempted by the idea.

Historically there certainly were attempts to circumscribe and erode French in Quebec, but given the huge francophone demographics and concentration, other means were used like making English the language of success at all levels of society, limiting immigration to Quebec by people who spoke French, subtly encouraging outmigration of francophones to other parts of Canada and the U.S. where they could be assimilated, and streaming immigrants to Quebec into the anglophone minority (so that might eventually become a majority).

Old 12-15-2016, 10:11 AM

33,543 posts, read 37,140,220 times
Quote:
The 30 million English speakers should run the Quebecers out. Is Quebec giving Canada anything positive at all? Seems to me that they just take welfare while hating on English speaking Canadians.
Do you live in Canada? If so please leave, as we do not need your kind of bigotry in our country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada