Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2017, 01:23 PM

2,631 posts, read 2,051,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post

Saying he is going to slap on a 35 percent tariff on goods coming into the US, shows a real lack of understanding on how trade works. Heck, I'm no trade expert, but reprisals of such a tariff would be incredibly damaging to the US as well. They aren't self-sufficient. What country is these days?

If Trump thinks the world is just going to roll over to his whims, he is sadly mistaken.

China has said as much.
I agree. Tariffs will be his undoing if he is serious about this crap. History has taught us well about their impacts. Just look at the countries that do impose high tariffs for a clue.

That said, it is time for the US to renegotiate some its trade deals. US workers and the US in general get the short end of the stick more often than not. Trade works in two directions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2017, 01:42 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,560,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Return2FL View Post
I agree. Tariffs will be his undoing if he is serious about this crap. History has taught us well about their impacts. Just look at the countries that do impose high tariffs for a clue.

That said, it is time for the US to renegotiate some its trade deals. US workers and the US in general get the short end of the stick more often than not. Trade works in two directions.
Workers in Canada and Europe feel the same.

From a Canadians point of view the US doesn't always play fair. How many WTO rulings have you guys lost? Here is just one example.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/gerr...-law-1.3078725

However it goes beyond just trade deals. The worst offenders IMO are corporations that have sent jobs off-shore in both countries.

It's a vicious cycle. Wages have not kept up to inflation. Then we are told that goods must be made off-shore so people can afford them.

The rich get richer.

Last edited by Natnasci; 01-16-2017 at 01:54 PM..

Old 01-16-2017, 02:57 PM

7,680 posts, read 5,530,949 times
I don't think Trump can just arbitrarily slap on 35% tariffs on imports without leaving the WTO. I'm not sure he'd want that. There are 163 other members in the WTO (https://www.wto.org/english/thewto_e...f_e/org6_e.htm ). Imagine having to negotiate trade rules with each of them separately!

Old 01-16-2017, 03:02 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,303,529 times
Quote:
Canada, like the EU, must stand united against the instability that he and his Russian overlords want. Bashing NATO and saying he doesn't care if the EU falls apart, is very worrying.
Nat are you capable of a modicum of critical thinking without just spewing mainstream media narrative?

Putin is not the aggressor, the west has encircled Russia for years hoping to break it apart and Putin finally fought back as any country would do under siege.

The US and others meddle in other countries election all the time, payback is a bi.....

Obama has openly tried to influence the UK referendum on Brexit.

Old 01-16-2017, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
I don't think Trump can just arbitrarily slap on 35% tariffs on imports without leaving the WTO. I'm not sure he'd want that. There are 163 other members in the WTO (https://www.wto.org/english/thewto_e...f_e/org6_e.htm ). Imagine having to negotiate trade rules with each of them separately!

Exactly...there is a big difference between campaign rhetoric and reality on what you can do.....

Just to refresh your collective memory, Obama was against NAFTA on the campaign trail in 2008.....he even later admittred after "ohh it's all just campaign BS talk...."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZJcxV-VQEY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEtnpqVUOtQ

Last edited by saturno_v; 01-16-2017 at 03:22 PM..

Old 01-16-2017, 03:12 PM

Some more Candidate Obama NAFTA videos...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ownOXa0JASA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PF9gpvI2UfU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qm4wCC9UPXM

Old 01-16-2017, 04:26 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,883,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
Nobody is ready for Trump, even Trump.
This about says it best LOL....

He looks terrified but puts on a good i'm the boss show. I think he's in way over his head. That is what happens when you say you're going to win but never actually thought it would happen..

Old 01-16-2017, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Canada, like the EU, must stand united against the instability that he and his Russian overlords want. Bashing NATO and saying he doesn't care if the EU falls apart, is very worrying.

On trade issues, our new Foreign Affairs minister, Chrystia Freeland, may have experience in trade negotiations, but that may not be enough when dealing with someone who doesn't believe the rules should apply to them.

Saying he is going to slap on a 35 percent tariff on goods coming into the US, shows a real lack of understanding on how trade works. Heck, I'm no trade expert, but reprisals of such a tariff would be incredibly damaging to the US as well. They aren't self-sufficient. What country is these days?

If Trump thinks the world is just going to roll over to his whims, he is sadly mistaken.

China has said as much.
He does have a point about NATO though. Canada commits about 1.1 percent of its GDP to military spending and the fair threshold is around 2 percent for a NATO member. The U.S pays 70 percent (I think 4.5 percent of their GDP to military spending) of the bill towards NATO's capability. Only 5 countries in NATO pay their fair share with the U.S committing the lions share. If we really want to be taken more seriously we should put our money where our mouth is in this regard.

Last edited by fusion2; 01-16-2017 at 04:40 PM..

Old 01-16-2017, 05:02 PM

7,680 posts, read 5,530,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
He does have a point about NATO though. Canada commits about 1.1 percent of its GDP to military spending and the fair threshold is around 2 percent for a NATO member. The U.S pays 70 percent (I think 4.5 percent of their GDP to military spending) of the bill towards NATO's capability. Only 5 countries in NATO pay their fair share with the U.S committing the lions share. If we really want to be taken more seriously we should put our money where our mouth is in this regard.
Canada is also a member of NORAD which I think is more crucial to the defence of Canada than is NATO. There is no such equivalent in Europe.

Besides, who would want to invade and occupy Canada? Considering our location, size and climate, it would be a logistical nightmare.

Old 01-16-2017, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
Canada is also a member of NORAD which I think is more crucial to the defence of Canada than is NATO. There is no such equivalent in Europe.

Besides, who would want to invade and occupy Canada? Considering our location, size and climate, it would be a logistical nightmare.
But we are a member of NATO and to ensure we are contributing our fair share it is 2 percent of GDP to defense spending (which really isn't all that significant if you think about it). 2 percent of our GDP to defend our sovereignty - hmmm..

As for NORAD I agree it is more important to us and guess who pays by far more towards that arrangment- The U.S. So yeah, I think if we boosted our defense spending to 2 percent that would be the right gesture for us to make a show that we are serious about being members in both NATO and NORAD.

As for who would want to invade Canada - we're a resource rich country. They wouldn't have to want to invade all of it, just the portions that they would benefit from. Don't be so sure. We rely far to much on Uncle Sam for our defense. Its in their interest to defend us but it still doesn't sit well with me that we aren't paying our fair share and I think if we did, we'd get a lot more respect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada