Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2017, 07:02 PM

1,693 posts, read 1,531,467 times

Advertisements

Dairy protected 'for good reason,' Trudeau says; Trump calls Canada's actions a 'disgrace' - Politics - CBC News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2017, 10:10 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,502,847 times
Haar! as is typical of this doofus he needs a scapegoat to show Americans he's still America first after failing at everything else he's touched so far. Canada's an easy target now that he's all cozy with China again after screaming about their money manipulation and unfair practices.

America's dairy problems are due to a glut caused by Americans overproducing and Canada opening up it's filtered milk market to WORLD pricing which makes both the Canadian and American filtered milk less competitive. Americans were quite happy when Canada was buying filtered milk from the U.S. exclusively at higher than world market prices.

If they want to sell to Canada they'd better lower their prices to compete, as their supposed capitalist belief in the free market should dictate.

https://www.thestar.com/news/world/2...rump-says.html

Old 04-21-2017, 06:52 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,734,474 times
In france, I really notice how much cheaper milk and particularly cheese can be.

The $7.99 cheese I used to buy is half the time here. I used to buy 2 liters of lactose free milk that costs $6 frequently. Here it is 1.39 euros (2$) per liter.

The Canadian dairy market is highly protected (and we all know the French dairy market is already very protected).

Old 04-21-2017, 07:42 AM

2,829 posts, read 3,176,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
In france, I really notice how much cheaper milk and particularly cheese can be.

The $7.99 cheese I used to buy is half the time here. I used to buy 2 liters of lactose free milk that costs $6 frequently. Here it is 1.39 euros (2$) per liter.

The Canadian dairy market is highly protected (and we all know the French dairy market is already very protected).
And how does any of this have anything to do with France? It's NAFTA, not CETA.

Old 04-21-2017, 07:44 AM

2,829 posts, read 3,176,703 times
I think Trudeau's response to Trump is quite appropriate. Frank and straight to the point:

Trudeau in the Bloomberg Toronto interview: "Let's not pretend that we're in a global free market when it comes to agriculture".

Old 04-21-2017, 07:59 AM

295 posts, read 264,146 times
In Canada everything is protected. Everything is a monopoly. Hugely overpaid public sector.

Old 04-21-2017, 08:30 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,298,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_wanderer View Post
In Canada everything is protected. Everything is a monopoly. Hugely overpaid public sector.
You forgot the additional yuuuge and the closing. Sad.

Sad.

Old 04-21-2017, 08:31 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,734,474 times
Quote:
That is an over generalization. The most protected are banking, telecom, airlines and certain agricultural products. I am sure when I buy a TV or a piece of clothing, there is no monopoly power. Banking, telecom and airlines are monopolistic competition in most countries and Canada is not alone. Farmers are protected as a special interest group in many countries as well.

The public sector is not overpaid, but is over-staffed from sure.

In reality, there is not a single country that is 100% free trade.

Old 04-21-2017, 08:51 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,502,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post
I think Trudeau's response to Trump is quite appropriate. Frank and straight to the point:

Trudeau in the Bloomberg Toronto interview: "Let's not pretend that we're in a global free market when it comes to agriculture".
I think he's practicing tact and diplomacy at a time when his alternate has no inkling of how to employ either.

Gonna be fun to watch play out. I'm looking forward to watching that minister Chrystia Freeland in action once again.

Trump should leave his faux bellicosity for another time, another place, another issue but we all know he desperately needs to show bodies in the street now that he's done complete turnarounds on China and other issues he used as bullet points to pander to a certain segment of American electorate.

Old 04-21-2017, 08:51 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,571,038 times
Quote:
In the US the dairy industry is subsidized heavily by the taxpayer. A few years ago when Obama was facing a budget crisis, there was talk of getting rid of dairy subsidizes, of course the dairy lobby didn't want that, and the consumers were told that unsubsidized milk would skyrocket to over $7.00 per US gallon.

I've also been told, that in Canada ( can someone confirm this ? ) that the vast majority of dairy farms, have 150 to 200 cows. Small production, better quality.

Canadian dairy farmers, unlike US farmers, don't get paid for the milk the produce, only for the milk they sell. In the US dairy farmers use BGH (BOVINE GROWTH HORMONE ) to increase milk productivity since any milk they overproduce, the government buys.

Now, I'm no expert, and I would like to see milk, but especially cheese, be a little bit cheaper, but I don't think the US is the way to go.

As it stands now, again from what I understand, is that milk on our shelves,is 100 percent Canadian. Where US dairy or milk comes into play, is when a product states " made with Canadian milk and OTHER SOURCES ". Which means, BGH may be being consumed...or not since not ALL US milk has BGH.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada