Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2017, 07:26 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,867,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Totally!
The unfortunate thing is the French-Canadian curse words are religion-based, not based on sex or body functions. Kinda takes the fun out of it.

PS. Yes, I can swear like a sailor.

Oops! ETA: So this isn't totally off-topic (I like tangents; sorry!): I love, Love, LOVE Vancouver. It's a fantastic city. Expensive as hell, but fabulous. Yet I'm moving from Montreal to Ottawa. I like Montreal for MANY reasons, but -- aside from family living there -- I also find Ottawa charming. I know nothing, really, of Calgary. Toronto is bustling (and expensive) but I find it generic in that if you were dropped into downtown Toronto, it would be like being dropped into almost any North American city.
Interesting information on French swear words thanks

I actually really like Ottawa as well. I can see why a lot of people would prefer the lifestyle there. Vancouver is also a great city and for me the third best in the country after T.O and Montreal - and is more urban and busy than some give credit. It has been characterized as a larger North York City Centre and that is so far from the truth it isn't even funny.

As for your comment about Toronto - The DT core is a lot more new and developed than a city like Montreal - which hasn't grown as much as Toronto. Another things is Toronto's CBD is entirely in the DT core and CBD's are always more generic than say an old section of the city or a city with a smaller CBD - so yeah, Offic buildings while impressive structures are also more generic generally speaking in built form. Toronto's CBD dwarfs anything in Canada. So yes, the DT core of Toronto has its generic elements (as do many Condo's including uhem what is happening in Griffintown - welcome to growth development in the 21st century ) but really the most interesting parts of Toronto are the nabe's surrounding the DT core which are certainly distinctly Toronto and not really new at all.

Yorkville/the Annex (which are actually in the DT core) Chinatown, Kensington Market, The Danforth, The Distillery District, Entertainment District among others for example are either in or straddle the DT core and I have a hard time believing that they can be categorized as 'generic'

This is in the gay villiage which is in smack dab in the DT core just east of Yonge street. Is this generic?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pONM8nUKimQ

What about this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nPr9FIAd20

I have more for you to challenge the generic myth - especially in the surrounding nabe's that straddle the DT core in Old Toronto so just let me know - of course we can all say the vibe Is 'generic' but that is really a subjective thing. Sometimes I just think people throw the generic thing out there because it is what they read. Hey, if you do find it generic that is cool but at least have a beer at the Distillery on a Saturday afternoon in the summer, take part in Caribana or the Gay Pride Parade and walk in Kensington Market on Ped sundays before just belting out generic stuff

As for expensive - I remember you saying that before in the Montreal forum and then I posted the price to rent a luxury apartment right in DT Toronto and you agreed it wasn't 'that' expensive. Toronto R.E is high because it is growing like gangbusters. Stuff 100K people per year down Montreals throat for 50 years and lets see how cheap it'll remain

Last edited by fusion2; 05-23-2017 at 07:54 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2017, 08:00 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
You're right -- I was talking about the business district (is that what CBD stands for?), really, when I said it was generic. Good point, Fusion2. Montreal has character; I guess that's the basis of my comparison. What I got the biggest kick out of in Toronto is that the Rogers Centre is right there! Right there in the middle of downtown. It was wild for me. The Bell Centre is kinda sorta downtown, but right on the edge -- not in the MIDDLE OF EVERYTHING! I really liked that about Toronto.

I *love* Yorkville. I don't remember our conversation about "that" expensive, but I believe you. (A friend of mine lives in Toronto and her small 2-bedroom -- although nice -- is not worth the $1 million that it cost. Although "worth" is a relative term -- it's worth whatever someone is willing to pay.) Was our conversation in reference to the guy who was looking for the Yorkville equivalent in Montreal, and I told him that it was Westmount?

Now that I've watched your gay village video -- I've never been there -- I like that area even better than Yorkville. Awesome.

OP: You should move to Toronto.

Old 05-23-2017, 08:26 PM

Quote:
You're right -- I was talking about the business district (is that what CBD stands for?), really, when I said it was generic. Good point, Fusion2. Montreal has character; I guess that's the basis of my comparison. What I got the biggest kick out of in Toronto is that the Rogers Centre is right there! Right there in the middle of downtown. It was wild for me. The Bell Centre is kinda sorta downtown, but right on the edge -- not in the MIDDLE OF EVERYTHING! I really liked that about Toronto.

I *love* Yorkville. I don't remember our conversation about "that" expensive, but I believe you. (A friend of mine lives in Toronto and her small 2-bedroom -- although nice -- is not worth the $1 million that it cost. Although "worth" is a relative term -- it's worth whatever someone is willing to pay.) Was our conversation in reference to the guy who was looking for the Yorkville equivalent in Montreal, and I told him that it was Westmount?

Now that I've watched your gay village video -- I've never been there -- I like that area even better than Yorkville. Awesome.

OP: You should move to Toronto.
Since I was a young boy and man I've always liked big and tall things so for me the Central Business District where all those office buildings are in DT Toronto have always fascinated me and actually sparked my interest in cities and skyscrapers the like. As generic as they seemingly are, Toronto's CBD buildings Office buildings are of architectural note. Few cities in the world actually have the skyscraper architectural clout of Toronto but that is another story. To many Van Der Rohe's TD complex is just generic black boxes but to those in the know of the modernist skyscraper style - TD Complex could be one of the most acclaimed architects of the 20th century's crowning achievements. Montreal is no slouch in the skyscraper cred department either - it has smaller representations of I.M Pei and Van Der Rohe itself and yes, when I go to Montreal I always walk like to not just look at the beautiful pre WWII architecture but also its own collection of scrapers.

Anyway i'm glad enjoyed Yorkville and you really should explore more of the nabe's surrounding the DT core. I think you will enjoy those a lot and post in the T.O section if you're coming we'll give you great ideas where to go in the city.

As for rent in T.O - definitely more expensive than Montreal but not as much as what people think. Maybe I mixed you up with someone else but rent is not that oppressive in T.O. That said, buying a SFH is ridiculously priced and out of reach. Toronto isn't a bargain to live in that is for sure but if it is where someone gets a good job in their field - especially a young person starting a career it may be their best option to advance - and from May - Oct T.O is actually a pretty fun and interesting place

Last edited by fusion2; 05-23-2017 at 08:36 PM..

Old 05-24-2017, 12:54 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,543,399 times
Quote:
Totally!
The unfortunate thing is the French-Canadian curse words are religion-based, not based on sex or body functions. Kinda takes the fun out of it.

PS. Yes, I can swear like a sailor.

Oops! ETA: So this isn't totally off-topic (I like tangents; sorry!): I love, Love, LOVE Vancouver. It's a fantastic city. Expensive as hell, but fabulous. Yet I'm moving from Montreal to Ottawa. I like Montreal for MANY reasons, but -- aside from family living there -- I also find Ottawa charming. I know nothing, really, of Calgary. Toronto is bustling (and expensive) but I find it generic in that if you were dropped into downtown Toronto, it would be like being dropped into almost any North American city.
Well back at ya. I think Montreal is a fantastic city

Toronto generic? I see Fusion2 has addressed this LOL. I don't find it generic myself. I know that if I were dropped into the centre of it, I'd know pretty quickly I was in Toronto...the first streetcar going by wouldn't be the only clue.

Old 05-24-2017, 02:52 PM

2,829 posts, read 3,172,404 times
Quote:
Idk if this is just a tourist thing, but Rogers stadium in Toronto is really one of the most generic and stale areas in the whole city, mainly because that entire area is designed solely for one purpose: accommodating tourists and suburban folks who like to catch a quick game and couple of beers. Many local Torontonians I know tend to steer clear of that area precisely because it has no character and completely lacks a sense of community. Rogers Centre could be any stadium in North America and you wouldn't know it.

(Yes it has a retractable roof but that's about the only thing that's special about it).

Old 05-24-2017, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post

Toronto generic? I see Fusion2 has addressed this LOL. I don't find it generic myself. I know that if I were dropped into the centre of it, I'd know pretty quickly I was in Toronto...the first streetcar going by wouldn't be the only clue.
Come visit anytime! (she says two weeks before she's moving)

Yup, Fusion2 set me straight on the topic of generic, complete with videos and examples. But no curse words. (They would have been ****d out anyway. Ha!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post
Idk if this is just a tourist thing, but Rogers stadium in Toronto is really one of the most generic and stale areas in the whole city, mainly because that entire area is designed solely for one purpose: accommodating tourists and suburban folks who like to catch a quick game and couple of beers. Many local Torontonians I know tend to steer clear of that area precisely because it has no character and completely lacks a sense of community. Rogers Centre could be any stadium in North America and you wouldn't know it.

(Yes it has a retractable roof but that's about the only thing that's special about it).
I think that you're right -- it's a tourist thing. The first time that I'd been back to Toronto (2015) after MANY years of not having been there (think 2001 or thereabouts), I was shocked by all the HUGE changes. It was SO MUCH BETTER than I remembered it being. And it was amazing to me that, right there, in the middle of the city, was a stadium. I got over it in 10 minutes, though.

Hey! HEY! We have a stadium with a retractable roof here too. The Big O! The Olympic Stadium! Remember? Sure, it's broken. Sure, it cost 14 bazilliionteen dollars. But it retracted...at one point in time...before it shredded.

Old 05-24-2017, 04:10 PM

Tourist parts of cities are unfortunately how many judge a city . You won't believe how man cruise ship passengers in Vancouver never get farther than Canada Place, and think that's Vancouver.

Old 05-24-2017, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnmtl View Post
come visit anytime! (she says two weeks before she's moving)

yup, fusion2 set me straight on the topic of generic, complete with videos and examples. But no curse words. (they would have been ****d out anyway. Ha!)

i think that you're right -- it's a tourist thing. The first time that i'd been back to toronto (2015) after many years of not having been there (think 2001 or thereabouts), i was shocked by all the huge changes. It was so much better than i remembered it being. And it was amazing to me that, right there, in the middle of the city, was a stadium. I got over it in 10 minutes, though.

hey! Hey! We have a stadium with a retractable roof here too. The big o! The olympic stadium! Remember? Sure, it's broken. Sure, it cost 14 bazilliionteen dollars. But it retracted...at one point in time...before it shredded.
:d

Old 05-24-2017, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post

Tourist areas certainly have their place though. For Rogers Centre it is a place to catch a game or concert so it does its job. I think its pretty cool. There is also the CN Tower, Steamwhistle Brewery and the Aquarium close by so you can actually spend the whole day there and enjoy it as a tourist or even local. A lot of character - nah but not everything needs to have that as long as there are places with character - balance as they say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post

Canada has a pretty good collection of big cities. It would be boring if they all replicated one another. Having a favourite is natural, but I tend to appreciate each of them for their own set of appeals. I agree re streetcars - they might not be the most functional for of PT - especially in the case of Toronto where many of the lines don't have R.O.W but hearing and seeing a red-rocket - especially as it goes past a stretch of bay and gable and all the overhead wires, its pretty hard to mistaken yourself for being anywhere else.

Quote:
Yup, Fusion2 set me straight on the topic of generic, complete with videos and examples. But no curse words. (They would have been ****d out anyway. Ha!)
Appreciate your positive spirit, sense of humour and open mindedness Dawn! Ottawa is lucky to have you

Old 05-24-2017, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post

Appreciate your positive spirit, sense of humour and open mindedness Dawn! Ottawa is lucky to have you
You're so sweet! Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada