Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2018, 02:30 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,359,245 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
But Nat, that is the correct and legal name for that particular kind of imitation cheese, there is no other name to distinguish it from other types of real cheeses unless you call it processed cheese. American Cheese is the name for the soft processed cheese flavoured slices that get put on cheeseburgers and patty-melts, etc. and it now commonly comes in pre-wrapped slices or singles.

The process for making American cheese was invented in America in the late 1800's and it used to be called American imitation cheese. In 1911 it officially became known as processed cheese rather than imitation cheese. The recipe is simple and anyone can easily make it at home, I've made it myself. It contains approximately one third real melted cheeses of one kind or another, and two thirds gelatin to keep it soft and pliable and long lasting, plus additional flavourings, dairy additives and preservatives. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_cheese

Yes, they call it Processed Cheese in Canada, at least on the menus, say for a cheeseburger.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2018, 02:31 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,359,245 times
Quote:
I think saying "perfect" is generally a Canada thing no matter what language people speak. We say it as an affirmative here in BC too, even the media say it. And I've heard it used as an affirmative on some Canadian produced TV shows. So it's probably a habit we've all picked up from each other.

Ah, so it is a Canada-wide affection - thank you for the info!

Old 01-04-2018, 03:04 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,043,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Nope. Not the same.

This article clarifies it all.

"I watched television programs that would occasionally mention American cheese from an outside the USA perspective and it was more of the same. Food and cooking videos often warn you not to defile their recipe with American cheese while showing a picture or otherwise implying that Velveeta or Kraft singles are American cheese. Even television programs and YouTube videos from Americans didn’t help the matter by constantly making the same mistake. If you search Google images for “American cheese” you will mainly see images of Kraft singles and similar products. Well, no wonder the rest of the world snubs their noses at American cheese! They think American cheese is Kraft singles! If that was true I would completely agree that it is garbage, but it is all a terrible misunderstanding. I want to try to set things straight.

American Cheese (Clearing Up a Global Misunderstanding) | The Cooking Geek

I disagree with that person and I don't think her article clarified anything at all. She calls herself a cooking geek, I call her a condescending food snob who doesn't know what she's talking about and thinks so highly of herself it's beneath her to bother to find real delicatessens or exclusive cheese makers and providers in Canada. I read the entire article and she still wasn't able to describe what her preferred kind of American cheese actually is. Other than to make comparisons and reluctantly skirt around the fact and admit that it is a type of processed cheese by-product, she didn't even know that its main component is cheese flavoured gelatin. Or maybe she does know that but doesn't want to admit it. Pffft!

Old 01-04-2018, 03:18 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,560,052 times
Quote:
I disagree with that person and I don't think her article clarified anything at all. She calls herself a cooking geek, I call her a condescending food snob who doesn't know what she's talking about and thinks so highly of herself it's beneath her to bother to find real delicatessens or exclusive cheese makers and providers in Canada. I read the entire article and she still wasn't able to describe what her preferred kind of American cheese actually is. Other than to make comparisons and reluctantly skirt around the fact and admit that it is a type of processed cheese by-product, she didn't even know that its main component is cheese flavoured gelatin. Or maybe she does know that but doesn't want to admit it. Pffft!

I posted the article on to show that the idea that Kraft Singles and " American Cheese " are not the same.

Having never eaten " American Cheese " I can't comment on how similar they are. I can tell you though, that the Americans asking for " American Cheese " in my friends store, when offered Kraft or any other processed cheese, they say it is not the same thing.

Oh and I agree, anyone that bemoans the loss of not finding " American Cheese " isn't one I would consider a food geek or foodie.

Old 01-04-2018, 03:27 PM

Thanks Nat. Understood. And I wish to apologize for my "cheesey" hijacking of this thread. My only excuse is that I'm bored stiff with being cooped up indoors in the day time and prevented from getting out to work in the gardens in this winter weather. Bring spring on!

Old 01-04-2018, 03:32 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,560,052 times
Quote:
Thanks Nat. Understood. And I wish to apologize for my "cheesey" hijacking of this thread. My only excuse is that I'm bored stiff with being cooped up indoors in the day time and prevented from getting out to work in the gardens in this winter weather. Bring spring on!

LOL

Winter has been a bit chilly, but ya got to get out and embrace it !! ...that said. I'm heading to Mexico on Monday!

Old 01-04-2018, 04:03 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,328,351 times
About three weeks into -40 with windchill and I'm not even thinking garden!

My sister-in-law called yesterday and was talking about how lucky we are here in Manitoba that we don't have to deal with the weather the east coast is or was getting. I didn't say anything

Old 01-04-2018, 04:25 PM

Quote:
I didn't say anything

Yeah, I've heard it said that sometimes discretion is the better part of valour. So good for you for your restraint and discretion. I sure don't envy you the cold temps you've been getting there. I couldn't survive in that for more than two minutes. Maybe if you think about gardening you will magically think away the cold. I'm thinking about gardening, trying to will away the winter. So far it's not working but I'm still trying. I'm sure my efforts at weather control and mind over jet stream will bear fruit in a couple of months. Hang in there and stay warm.

Old 01-05-2018, 06:09 AM

1,223 posts, read 2,267,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K - View Post
Quebec City I think is too classy for most americans. They should go to Niagara Falls or Las Vegas, Myrtle Beach, Seaside Heights, Florid, Honolulu.
Im and American and I went to Quebec as a day trip from Montreal. Great Old City area but I didn’t feel like it’s worthy of , say, a 5 hour flight from Texas. I think it works fine as a extension to the Montreal area. I would imagine folks from Quebec don’t make many trips to Jamestown and coastal Virginia (which is also 400 years old albeit worse architecture).

Old 01-05-2018, 07:14 AM

9,471 posts, read 10,808,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeman804 View Post
Im and American and I went to Quebec as a day trip from Montreal. Great Old City area but I didn’t feel like it’s worthy of , say, a 5 hour flight from Texas. I think it works fine as a extension to the Montreal area. I would imagine folks from Quebec don’t make many trips to Jamestown and coastal Virginia (which is also 400 years old albeit worse architecture).
Actually here in the USA Charleston SC is one of the nicest historical cities, tons of really old homes and streets. There is a lot more there than in Jamestown Va. St. Augustine Florida is also supposed to be very nice too but as of yet I have not been to that city.

I have always wanted to visit Quebec City. I hear it’s the closest thing you will find in North America to a European experience. However it is very far from where I live in the southern US so it is kind of a difficult and likely expensive place for me to visit. I bet y’all get a lot of US visitors from the north east states though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada