Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2018, 11:51 AM

6,750 posts, read 5,730,901 times

Advertisements

I was looking through the election map to see who elected who.

I grew up in a ward that elected NDP and now live in the diagonal opposite end of the city and they also elected NPD.

How much do you think who the MPP's running were vs the party they represented effect the decision?

I live in south Scarborough and found in very interesting to note that ridings in South Scarborough voted NDP and Liberal, but surprised to note that North Scarborough voted PC.

The demographics of these areas is fairly different. I personally always wondering if living further from the subway line makes you more angry in general as it is a long bus ride even with the RT for most people that live up that way . Only partly kidding about this.

Anyone have any thoughts or inside on this?
There are certain pockets of the city that really confused me with their vote.
So interested to see what promises where made and why they bought in to them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2018, 12:52 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,059,497 times
Demographically speaking, I noticed that areas of the GTA that have large Chinese populations like northern Scarborough and Markham voted quite strongly for Ford.

The results were more mixed and not so predominantly for Ford in areas where you have different populations that are more predominant (like South Asians, Afro-Caribbeans, etc.)

Except of course Ford's own riding which is extremely diverse (and not particularly Chinese) but when a party leader is running in a riding that often trumps all other factors.

Old 06-08-2018, 02:29 PM

Default .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Demographically speaking, I noticed that areas of the GTA that have large Chinese populations like northern Scarborough and Markham voted quite strongly for Ford.

The results were more mixed and not so predominantly for Ford in areas where you have different populations that are more predominant (like South Asians, Afro-Caribbeans, etc.)

Except of course Ford's own riding which is extremely diverse (and not particularly Chinese) but when a party leader is running in a riding that often trumps all other factors.
I was trying to pull trends ... but it was interesting.

I am not sure if people were voting with thinking more of the local MPP or the party leader's.

I would assume a lot of local MPP choose a party depending on the spots available.

For example being an NDP vs Liberal. Liberal vs being on PC.

Like Ford. No idea why he is considered PC.

Regardless it is kind of nice to know all 3 party leaders are still going to be working for the Ontario government as they all got re-elected in their wards.

In general I think is good to have a mix of views at the table and all 3 of those party leaders are strong characters with strong voices and will represent those who support them well. Ford would not be my vote, but if I was going to be hiring a sales person I would be hiring him.

It is nice that at the end of the day all 3 are still going to be working for team Ontario.

I am interested in learning about the 1 Green Party MPP that got elected in Glueph and what that is all about. Being elected under a less popular party is a pretty impressive thing. I think this particular MPP must be something special. I am happy to note I think all the areas I usually enjoy going to ( not have to go to lol) were all orange or red !

Old 06-08-2018, 04:21 PM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,280,294 times
A lot of the 905 voted PC.

Including my neck of the woods....Mississauga, Oakville, and Burlington.

Hamilton went NDP as per usual.

Old 06-09-2018, 03:52 PM

Default .......

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
A lot of the 905 voted PC.

Including my neck of the woods....Mississauga, Oakville, and Burlington.

Hamilton went NDP as per usual.
I would love to interview people from different areas and walks of life to understand how they decided who to vote for.

I think the more I look in to these topics more more I understand the qualifications to be elected are not real that specific. So what prevents anyine from trying out.

What makes some people unwilling to vote.

There were so many ways and days to vote.

Old 06-11-2018, 09:14 AM

669 posts, read 321,500 times
So my parents live in Scarborough South West and the area went NDP. Typically Liberal. As to why they vote more left, it beats me. There are some high density apartments which I think votes left, but maybe, it's also the more Birch Cliff/Cliffside types who are more Liberal (i.e. an extension of the Beaches type).

My area, Guildwood went Liberal but barely. Won by something like 70 votes over the PC. If the PC candidate didn't threaten his constituents, he likely would have won. But the NDP + Liberal total is quite strong.

Now the areas that went PC, are further out. Rouge Park is kind of a surprise to me.

Here are some reasons for me that try to explain it. But I'll admit, it's puzzling in Scarborough.
-Really, more immigrants are actually Conservatives. Sure they benefited from Progressive ideas by being allowed to immigrate here, but for the most part, they are likely small business owners who are more conservative and or had to sacrifice to make their own way instead of wanting all this type of support.
-The further out you are, with bigger lots, the more isolated you feel hence the less value you feel like you're getting for your tax dollars. So tend to be more conservative.
-Guildwood riding would have dense buildings just north of Eglinton, along Lawrence, up and down Markham Rd, Golf Club, etc. The poorer types, including immigrants do want more social intervention or services. The outer immigrants not as much.
-Scarborough North is heavily Muslim. They are definitely Conservative and it went solidly Blue.
-Similar to Agincourt but with Chinese.
-Scarborough Center is actually the most important and highest predictive riding (kind of like no Republican has won the Presidency without winning Ohio.. that's the bellweather state). So it probably captures a mix of all the other ridings. In this case, they want Scarborough Center developed instead all this focus on downtown Toronto.

As for why people vote the way they do, that too is fascinating to me. It's definitely a myriad of reasons. Even my sister and I, same parents, 1 year apart, see the world differently.

I found when living close to rail transit, since you're already enjoying the benefits, you want it improved, hence want more Government money invested, therefore vote Liberal/NDP. For the ones relying on the RT, I think it's definitely more of a protest thing going on, feeling like "Hey, we keep getting tossed aside... we'll go with whomever will disrupt and change that"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada