Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2018, 08:01 PM

54 posts, read 49,747 times

Advertisements

I notice, from both opinion polling but also general hearsay, that the US is now more supportive of Muslims than normally-liberal countries like Canada and Western Europe. This is also reflected among minorities such as Jews and Indians where issues such as the Hindu-Muslim conflict go deep into 3rd gen women and gays too.

I'm unsure about the political lean of this forum (though I notice it isn't as anti-free speech as Reddit) but can anyone in Canada enlighten me as to how the US became so supportive of Muslims? The US still has socioeconomically backwards Muslims in a similar vein to Europe and Muslims are still poorer than Hindus.

Old 06-13-2018, 08:07 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,053,631 times
I don't understand how you can say that the U.S. is more pro-Muslim than Canada is...

Old 06-13-2018, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I don't understand how you can say that the U.S. is more pro-Muslim than Canada is...
It's only really the 65+ Americans that are more Islamophobic. In nearly every other section of society, Europeans and Canadians are more Islamophobic. Furthermore, the US is progressing towards the idea that Muslims are religious people, whereas Europe/Canada are progressing towards the Indian-style ethnic Muslims.

Old 06-13-2018, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jowonder201812345 View Post
It's only really the 65+ Americans that are more Islamophobic. In nearly every other section of society, Europeans and Canadians are more Islamophobic. Furthermore, the US is progressing towards the idea that Muslims are religious people, whereas Europe/Canada are progressing towards the Indian-style ethnic Muslims.
I'd like to see more in support of this as, regarding Canada anyway, I don't see this at all.

Old 06-13-2018, 08:20 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,137,073 times
Interesting that you would ask Canadians why Americans think and do what they do.

From an American viewpoint, we are accepting of Muslim immigrants because we are a country of immigrants. We are founded as immigrants and are built from immigrants. While there are certainly some who feel a few generations in America makes you more "American" than others; the majority believe that the diversity is what has always made us great.

Old 06-13-2018, 08:23 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,053,026 times
I don't know if any of that is true but if it is I wouldn't know how Canadians could be expected to be able to explain how the USA behaves. It's not as if Canadians have some kind of insider information about their neighbours to the south.

Old 06-13-2018, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I'd like to see more in support of this as, regarding Canada anyway, I don't see this at all.
The idea that Europe is more Islamophobic than the US, including the UK in Europe, is quite common and there are plenty of articles about this - the Islamophobic already reached a new high when that mass shooting happened in Norway.

Canada has similar demographics to Europe. Quebec recently banned the Burqua and Islamophobic attacks are also more common in Canada... I don't think polls such as this can happen in the current US climate:
http://www.macleans.ca/society/too-m...their-country/
http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...d-canada-train
http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/g...=.d9a35f01746c

And those websites are left-wing biased too.

The most dramatic difference is among youth, with more Canadian youth supporting Islamophobia than going against it, whereas most US youth are against Islamophobia. It's also noticeable among minority groups such as Jews and Indians.

Old 06-13-2018, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
I don't know if any of that is true but if it is I wouldn't know how Canadians could be expected to be able to explain how the USA behaves. It's not as if Canadians have some kind of insider information about their neighbours to the south.

I find that Americans tend to have very little knowledge of what goes on outside their country, let alone understand differences in philosophies and cultures in other parts of the world. But Canadians tend to have a better grasp on world geopolitics and are able to weigh up differences between two countries.

Old 06-13-2018, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jowonder201812345 View Post
The idea that Europe is more Islamophobic than the US, including the UK in Europe, is quite common and there are plenty of articles about this - the Islamophobic already reached a new high when that mass shooting happened in Norway.

Canada has similar demographics to Europe. Quebec recently banned the Burqua and Islamophobic attacks are also more common in Canada... I don't think polls such as this can happen in the current US climate:
http://www.macleans.ca/society/too-m...their-country/
http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...d-canada-train
http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/g...=.d9a35f01746c

And those websites are left-wing biased too.

The most dramatic difference is among youth, with more Canadian youth supporting Islamophobia than going against it, whereas most US youth are against Islamophobia. It's also noticeable among minority groups such as Jews and Indians.
I think you are misinformed.

BTW Quebec has not really banned the burqa.

Old 06-13-2018, 08:35 PM

1,261 posts, read 568,242 times
Probably because the U.S. has less Muslims percentage wise than Canada and Western Europe, and also that most Muslims living/immigrating to the U.S. tend to be wealthier and more educated (far less) dependent on social welfare than Canada and European counterpart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada