Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2018, 02:36 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,337,514 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I have seen them! Maybe I will try on your recommendation next month when I go back.

And no, I am in Monmouth County, near Red Bank. Can't afford LBI (plus before I retired I needed NYC train access.)
Exit 5 here, but have lived in Washington state for many years.

I miss da shore!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2018, 02:48 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,564,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kettlepot View Post
In Southern California, we have a lot of good quality, independent donuterias, which is surprising because people pair up donuts with cold weather.

We have so many independents because a Cambodian guy bought the company that manufactures donut-making equipment, and then sold that equipment on credit to his fellow Cambodian refugees. I wouldn't say that EVERY independent donut shop is Cambodian run, but a lot of them are. The donuts they make are bigger, fluffier, and tend to have less glaze making them less sweet.

Krispy Kreme tried to break into the Southern California market, but I don't believe they succeeded. Winchells, which was here before the Cambodian incursion appear to be struggling.

Canada's recent Asian invasion has been wealthy Chinese. I would guess they aren't opening up independent donut shops.
I'm not sure wealthy people of any nationality are prone to go into the doughnut business. However, just to note, the doughnut shop I linked, "Lee's Donuts" was started by Alan Lee, a person of the Chinese persuasion.

Plenty of independent doughnut shops around here as well...many small bakeries of course make their own.

Then you get the trendy places that charge $4 for a doughnut.

https://www.cartems.com

https://49thcafe.com

Old 08-26-2018, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Never heard of them...did they get out west??

Old 08-26-2018, 02:52 PM

When is a doughnut shop not a doughnut shop? This Vancouver oddity.

Home

Old 08-26-2018, 04:15 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,048,498 times
^^^ Duffin's is great. I used to live 3 blocks from there and would treat myself to their doughnuts 2 or 3 times a week. Such a variety of good food, excellent doughnuts and other pastries (honey crullers to die for), great coffee, really nice staff, good friendly service, and the place is always jam packed.

Here is a really interesting article about Duffin's history. https://www.vancourier.com/news/the-...in-s-1.2300084

Old 08-26-2018, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
^^^ Duffin's is great. I used to live 3 blocks from there and would treat myself to their doughnuts 2 or 3 times a week. Such a variety of good food, excellent doughnuts and other pastries (honey crullers to die for), great coffee, really nice staff, good friendly service, and the place is always jam packed.

Here is a really interesting article about Duffin's history. https://www.vancourier.com/news/the-...in-s-1.2300084

What a great story, and it links to what kettlepot was saying about LA.

I've driven by it many times, but have never gone in. I will rectify that.

Old 08-26-2018, 07:21 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,047,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I'm not a fan of Tim's Horton's at all.

I rarely eat doughnuts...used to love the old " Cindy's " with a coffee...but so big and fattening. One of my favourite places if I do want a doughnut is Lee's Donut's on Granville Island. ( the spelling should make Acajack happy LOL )

https://www.leesdonuts.ca
Hey, I spell it b-e-i-g-n-e.

Old 08-26-2018, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Hey, I spell it b-e-i-g-n-e.
LOL

An odd thing that I've seen in France are vendors on the beach selling them.

Old 08-26-2018, 08:01 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,497,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Never heard of them...did they get out west??
I don't think they meandered out of Ontario. Eddie was not known for his business acumen and doughnuts aren't the type of thing you'd be able to be unique in the making of.

I tried Krispy Kremes once or twice but couldn't shake the feeling my stomach was finishing the baking process.

Old 08-26-2018, 11:07 PM

88,605 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Exit 5 here, but have lived in Washington state for many years.

I miss da shore!
My cousin's out there, in the eastern part that looks desertish.

Yes, I always swore I couldn't go too far from the ocean, but now I've found myself trading half my life to be by a lake instead. What we won't do for love. Still water vs. moving water. It's all good as long as there is water nearby. At this age if I get knocked down by waves, I'm not always so sure I'll be able to get up again before the next one comes, while the lake is calm and nice for swimming and just bobbing around. I am flexible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada