Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2021, 11:18 AM

58 posts, read 57,212 times

Advertisements

Perhaps I am enamored by the Disney-type of architecture of Old Quebec City, but it is worth investing in any real estate as an American citizen? I am under suspicion there are steep taxes and various fees when it comes to real estate in Canada as a foreigner. I am grateful and appreciative of any information and advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2021, 11:42 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,053,631 times
No, there are no extra restrictions, taxes or fees for non-citizens buying property in Quebec.

The process and cost is the same as it would be if you were a Canadian citizen residing in Quebec.

Old 01-06-2021, 05:53 PM

58 posts, read 57,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
No, there are no extra restrictions, taxes or fees for non-citizens buying property in Quebec.

The process and cost is the same as it would be if you were a Canadian citizen residing in Quebec.

I came across several sites mentioning such. I will take the word of a native over a website though. Thank You very much.

Old 01-06-2021, 06:06 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,053,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepermanentnomad View Post

I came across several sites mentioning such. I will take the word of a native over a website though. Thank You very much.
Such mention that you came across might have been in reference to certain other provinces in Canada and to what kind of property is being purchased, what size of property it is, and the intended purpose that the property would be put to - i.e. is it for commercial or agricultural or domestic purposes? But you can be sure that Acajack would be a pretty good authority about matters relating to the province of Quebec.

Old 01-06-2021, 09:12 PM

Some places in Canada do have restrictions.

I believe that purchasing property by non-Islanders (even if Canadian citizens) is restricted on PEI.

Also, Vancouver (or is it BC?) has an extra tax on the purchase of property by non-Canadians. This is an attempt to cool the housing market that is largely driven by foreign speculative buying.

As I said, though, not aware of any such thing here in Quebec.

Old 01-07-2021, 08:02 AM

4,865 posts, read 10,530,536 times
Quote:

I believe that purchasing property by non-Islanders (even if Canadian citizens) is restricted on PEI.

Also, Vancouver (or is it BC?) has an extra tax on the purchase of property by non-Canadians. This is an attempt to cool the housing market that is largely driven by foreign speculative buying.

Indeed no such thing. I recently sold a property in Montreal and had some interest from a foreign buyer (sold to local in the end) and am sure of the local law. However, there may be some changes coming at the federal level that will impose a national foreign buyers tax, so I would act sooner rather than later if I were him.

Old 01-07-2021, 08:16 AM

2,869 posts, read 4,454,397 times
To the original poster.

Buying property in Canada does NOT result in any type of residence visa for a non Canadian. Yes you can buy property here, but as a American citizen you cannot live IN Canada, year round. The best you can do ( without applying for Permanent Resident status ) is be a temporary visitor, for no more than 183 days in any 12 month period of time. That is exactly the same restriction that the US applies to Canadians who want to visit the US. The rule is....a total of 6 months IN Canada, then at least 6 months OUT of Canada.

Old 01-07-2021, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
Indeed no such thing. I recently sold a property in Montreal and had some interest from a foreign buyer (sold to local in the end) and am sure of the local law. However, there may be some changes coming at the federal level that will impose a national foreign buyers tax, so I would act sooner rather than later if I were him.
This is good advice.

There was also IIRC some talk of a Quebec (province)-specific or Montreal-specific foreign buyers' tax à la Vancouver in order to avert the rise of a housing price bubble (à la Vancouver again) given that foreign buyers are looking at us more and more.

Old 01-07-2021, 09:42 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,567,829 times
Quote:

The Speculation Tax is for major urban areas in BC. The Empty Homes Tax is for Vancouver.

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/t...on-vacancy-tax

Old 01-08-2021, 12:21 PM

32,663 posts, read 48,079,532 times
If you are considering investing in rental property, the only suggestion I have is that you very carefully study the landlord tenant laws before you proceed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada