Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2019, 06:49 AM

4,927 posts, read 5,313,214 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
Has nothing to do with my comment. The U.S. and Canada are among the best of allies, and Americans and Canadians share many things, friendships, culture, faith, family, lineage, and more. I did not say anything to suggest that it isn't. However, there is a certain segment of Canadians, a pseudo-elite and pseudo-intellectual middle-class leftist cohort that finds it fashionable and socially acceptable to trash talk the States. It's ridiculous. Very few Americans do that. In Canada, it's almost an industry. If you read the comments on The Globe and Mail or the Toronto Star, you will see endless diatribes against the United States and the United Kingdom, in particular. Usually, those two are followed by rants against Russia and Israel. That segment of Canadians is looney tunes.
Come on just stop it, you're being petty now. I come from a large family of brothers and sisters and we "trash talk" each other all the time...but that's what brothers, sisters and families do, it is natural and it is most certainly harmless.

I am certain that there are some things not to like about America, especially with a president who does not possess any critical thinking skills before he opens his mouth or "tweets". He is at times a buffoon.

Both Canadians and Americans are fortunate we live in free countries where it is very much encouraged to speak our minds and offer criticisms, carte blanche. And we do, on both sides of our mutual borders.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2019, 07:30 AM

3,973 posts, read 5,768,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
However, there is a certain segment of Canadians, a pseudo-elite and pseudo-intellectual middle-class leftist cohort that finds it fashionable and socially acceptable to trash talk the States ...
There is a certain segment of Americans, a pseudo-elite and pseudo-intellectual middle class leftist cohort that finds it fashionable and socially acceptable to trash talk other Americans. So what?

Old 02-18-2019, 09:35 AM

518 posts, read 398,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Canadas proximity to the USA was convenient for road trips long weekends and winter holidays to Florida. ,new Enland/Boston/NYC etc were all achievable by car with a scenic trip to get there.
did you went by car to Florida?? yeah, living around Dorval Airport is convenient I guess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Here to. We have that advantage over Australia and New Zealand

Many happy memories of road trips to California and Arizona.

How many hours by car is it from Vancouver to Los Angeles and Arizona?

yeah, Australia and NZ are very, very remote and very, very isolated, yet Vancouver is in my opinion also very remote. It is at the periphery of The Americas, far high north in a corner. It is not so much its location, more the circumstance that other US-American/Canadian major cities are in other regions of the continent.

The time you need to drive from Vancouver by car to California, I think it is as fast by airplane from Australia to LA. I think Vancouver is more like an airplane city.

Yeah, Los Angeles is influential enough to count as 10 major American cities, but still, it's very distant from BC

One can start driving at morning time in Montréal and around lunch time or afternoon one will arrive in:

Toronto
Ottawa
Québec City
Boston

New York City (I count NYC as infleuntial as 15 American major cities)

imo the best location in NA is 500km west of NYC, 500km south-west of Montréal and several hundreds km east of Chicago.

Vancouver has a distant location, but when I think about it, many other American states also have horrifiying location. It is only the north-east of North America that can be compared to Europe city distances

Vancouver is the Dublin of The Americas

Old 02-18-2019, 10:36 AM

2,869 posts, read 5,136,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuebecOpec View Post
did you went by car to Florida?? yeah, living around Dorval Airport is convenient I guess
Plenty of snowbirds like jambo fly to Florida for the winter holidays. If you're going to be in Florida for three months and you think you'll need access to a car, it'll cost less to make the drive than get a rental car for 3 months while your own car is rotting in the garage during the Quebec winter.

Old 02-18-2019, 10:48 AM

1,299 posts, read 822,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
I continue to plan to visit the US.

I find that individual Americans are some of the nicest people you'll ever meet. I well remember the New York City deli owner who opened up early because we found that the deli would open for breakfast in a half-hour, but he'd "put the coffee on and it's ready and why not open for you folks now? Come on in!" The couple from Denver at the poolside bar in Las Vegas who helped me remember many happy memories of my time in Denver. The hotel clerk in Lincoln, Nebraska, who gave us the "after midnight" rate when we pulled in at 10 pm without a reservation. Just a few examples, but I have found individual Americans to be a wonderful people, all of them.

When I do talk with Americans, what I do find we can discuss amicably and informally is sports and the weather or something about the attraction we are visiting or the thing we are doing. With some whom I have got to know well enough to stay in touch, we'll discuss topics of mutual interest: history, literature, law. Sometimes, they are curious about Canada and the Canadian way of life, and they ask questions, but such questions are information-seeking. They are not setups to lead into a political discussion. They are genuinely curious about us, and while my answers sometimes surprise them ("No, we have a system of common law in Canada, same as the US"), they accept the answers gracefully. I come away from such discussions thinking I have helped them learn something about their northern neighbour.

I have often said that the idea of the United States is larger than whoever is President or who controls the House or Senate. I believe the same is true of Canada, too. No one domestic politician, or political party, can destroy either of us constitutionally, because the checks and balances built into each of our systems, and our respective adherence to the Rule of Law doctrine, prevent such an occurrence. We will both survive, regardless of who is in power and how they use or misuse it.

I have visited the US under every President, both Republican and Democrat, since Richard Nixon, and I see no reason to stop now.
I have nothing against Americans. I've met nice ones, I've met not nice ones, they're just people. I don't have a habit of visiting the US, but used to have some interest. That interest has faded due to various reasons. There are lots of things I want to do and see in Canada. Not a big deal, just a personal preference.

Seems like Americans take that as a rejection of their awesomeness, but I assure you that it's just not that big of a deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonsereed View Post
You just went and proved his point....posting it twice for effect lol

Thankfully the next couple of Canadians downthread were more level headed
It's only level headed to want to spend time in a certain foreign country? And to want to spend your vacation time in your own country is what, then? What a strange definition of the term level headed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
Ninety percent of Canadians live within 100 miles of the US border.
That's geography, not a desire to snuggle with the US. lol

Quote:
The time you need to drive from Vancouver by car to California, I think it is as fast by airplane from Australia to LA. I think Vancouver is more like an airplane city.
Vancouver has a distant location, but when I think about it, many other American states also have horrifiying location. It is only the north-east of North America that can be compared to Europe city distances
Many people from Vancouver and Vancouver Island drive to Seattle and San Jose for football and hockey. Seattle not a big deal at all, only 2.5 hours from Vancouver. That's a daily commute for some Americans. San Jose is a longer drive, but I had friends who did it regularly on weekends.

Old 02-18-2019, 12:21 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,028,112 times
Quote:

How many hours by car is it from Vancouver to Los Angeles and Arizona?

That all depends on the nature and curiosity of whoever is doing the driving. For example - If my friend drives from Vancouver to Los Angeles it takes him around 18 hours. My neighbour does it in around 30 hours. If I drive there it usually takes me around 4 days, sometimes up to 7 days to get there.

Old 02-18-2019, 12:36 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,548,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonsereed View Post
You just went and proved his point....posting it twice for effect lol

Thankfully the next couple of Canadians downthread were more level headed
You seemed to have missed the humour in the first part of the pose, EVEN though I made it clear it was a joke.

The second part of the post stands.

The second posting was a glitch with CD.

"The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 1 characters.
This forum requires that you wait 60 seconds between posts. Please try again in 46 seconds."

Old 02-18-2019, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
That all depends on the nature and curiosity of whoever is doing the driving. For example - If my friend drives from Vancouver to Los Angeles it takes him around 18 hours. My neighbour does it in around 30 hours. If I drive there it usually takes me around 4 days, sometimes up to 7 days to get there.

I used to do San Francisco in a full day. A long day, but it is easily done if one is used to long drives.

The poster you are responding to is saying the exact same thing about living back east, that others have said. That they can drive to such and such cities so somehow that is preferable. Depends. My friends in Montreal still fly to NYC and friend in Toronto have never driven to Boston or NYC. Would I prefer that? Not really. I fly most places now. Although I would love to drive across Canada one day.

It's as if planes don't exist. Vancouver isolated ha ha ha ha.

Old 02-18-2019, 01:29 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,401,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
That all depends on the nature and curiosity of whoever is doing the driving. For example - If my friend drives from Vancouver to Los Angeles it takes him around 18 hours.

There is no way you can do Van to LA in 18.

Old 02-18-2019, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
There is no way you can do Van to LA in 18.
That does sound quick. I have driven from LA to Vancouver stopping only for gas and food, and did it in 23 hours. Perhaps Zoiste meant San Fran, or she knows someone who really speeds

Last edited by Natnasci; 02-18-2019 at 02:26 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada