Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2019, 10:49 PM

7,490 posts, read 4,966,554 times

Advertisements

Every day I check in to see if anyone is reacting to the call for Trudeau to resign.

10 Witnesses starting on September 17, starting with Trudeau, remembered as Trudeau interfering with the Attorney General. He tried to change her mind, but various partisan officials used coercion and eventually Mr Butts or Trudeau was determined to get the deal done and interfere with the courts? Very confusing Canadian Federal politics.

The indigenous representative was demoted and the government is pretending that no one sees it was a demotion?

What does this mean for the next federal election? Weird game of chicken? Did Trudeau do politics differently, or was he just selling "change?"

Bottom line is that SNC-Lavalin needed the hand up from the Canadian government, was the culture reveal in the best interest of the country?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2019, 11:46 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,345,340 times
I found Wilson-Raybould very credible.

Old 02-28-2019, 05:05 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,515,323 times
The Canadian public is left with one inescapable conclusion regardless of whatever 'she said / he said' comes out: the issue of Lavalin getting a pass from an active prosecution and her being demoted because she was adamantly against allowing it.

Trudeau's well crafted image as a fresh start and an all inclusive, open leader has taken the biggest hit since his election. This one is going to leave, not just a mark, but an open gaping wound.

Old 02-28-2019, 11:30 AM

This is just getting worse by the hour! Government meddling in court cases seems to be more and more common. First the ambassador to China was dismissed when he voiced an opinion about the Huawei arrest, and now the Prime Minister is accused of rigging a legal decision. One does wonder what else Trudeau has done behind the scenes to rig decisions.

Old 02-28-2019, 03:27 PM

This is really not all that new - the feds always do stuff like this. Remember the CF-18 issue in which Manitoba was robbed? https://archive.macleans.ca/article/...-week-of-anger

Old 02-28-2019, 03:56 PM

196 posts, read 217,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
This is just getting worse by the hour! Government meddling in court cases seems to be more and more common. First the ambassador to China was dismissed when he voiced an opinion about the Huawei arrest, and now the Prime Minister is accused of rigging a legal decision. One does wonder what else Trudeau has done behind the scenes to rig decisions.

I think it would be more surprising if the party in power -be it Liberal, Conservative or NDP- did not pursue a favorable outcome for SNC.

What I find extremely crude and distasteful from Trudeau, within Wilson-Raybould's statement, is how he phrases the motivations. There is an election in Quebec, I'm a mp representing Quebec, and we need votes!

Old 02-28-2019, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloudReader View Post
What I find extremely crude and distasteful from Trudeau, within Wilson-Raybould's statement, is how he phrases the motivations. There is an election in Quebec, I'm a mp representing Quebec, and we need votes!
They (meaning the federal government) have always been just that crude. For sure, there is no moral high ground to be found there. It wouldn't surprise me if Trudeau had to step down as a result of it becoming public. Without it being public, I doubt many Liberals would take issue with it. The Conservatives are no better. Make promises, get into government and cling to power with tooth and nail, which always means catering to Quebec because that's where the votes are. This also keeps other provinces from developing to their full potential as in the case of the CF-18s.

Old 03-01-2019, 04:51 PM

After she was told to break the law, she was told by the liberal buttheads that the public will be blanketed with op-eds that say she did not break the law. That's enough to cause concern. Not only do they think the law is for the little people, but they think it's okay to lie to the little people.

Old 03-01-2019, 05:34 PM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,286,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
After she was told to break the law, she was told by the liberal buttheads that the public will be blanketed with op-eds that say she did not break the law. That's enough to cause concern. Not only do they think the law is for the little people, but they think it's okay to lie to the little people.
But buttheads ...do you mean Gerald Butts

If she hadn’t been demoted, it’s possible this would have never seen the light.

Old 03-01-2019, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
But buttheads ...do you mean Gerald Butts

If she hadn’t been demoted, it’s possible this would have never seen the light.
I do, but he's out of a job now too! I agree that job change may be what triggered her to go public. Her father was certainly blanketing the media last week with claims that an indigenous person was demoted and that this was a problem for all indigenous people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada