Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2019, 11:05 AM

314 posts, read 547,241 times

Advertisements

I'm visiting a friend in Halifax and entering via plane. My tentative itinerary is to spend roughly two weeks in Halifax then take a bus to Quebec City and explore French Canada for a few days ultimately returning to the states by bus. Since I only have a rough estimate as to how much time I plan to spend in each location I haven't purchased any tickets other than my flight to Halifax.

Would it be advisable to set concrete dates and purchase tickets before entering? I've visited Canada twice previously and never been asked to show a return ticket (I've seen Canadian travelers entering the US been asked), however I'd like to avoid any potential issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2019, 11:16 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
With no return ticket border guards are going to suspect you are entering the country to stay longer than 2 weeks and that you are going to work in the country,not sure how it will go but do expect intensive interrogation and if your story doesnt satisfy the border guard he can deny you entry into the country.
Id buy a return ticket.

Old 06-23-2019, 11:41 AM

438 posts, read 376,716 times
I could see if your visits were shorter before then they would be extra cautious with your longer trip and no return plans crystal clear.

Personally I would get your itinerary a little more locked up and at least a return date clear (although a ticket back home would be best for securing your evidence of returning home) before you attempt to cross over. It would suck to pay for the ticket there and have everything set up only to be turned away at the gate with no way to recoup your losses. And it's just good to have a clear plan on your departure, secure your seat home, and know when you have to be ready to leave for the airport or arrange transportation.

Old 06-23-2019, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicfamly5 View Post
I could see if your visits were shorter before then they would be extra cautious with your longer trip and no return plans crystal clear.

Personally I would get your itinerary a little more locked up and at least a return date clear (although a ticket back home would be best for securing your evidence of returning home) before you attempt to cross over. It would suck to pay for the ticket there and have everything set up only to be turned away at the gate with no way to recoup your losses. And it's just good to have a clear plan on your departure, secure your seat home, and know when you have to be ready to leave for the airport or arrange transportation.
I've stayed a month and two weeks previously. Both times in Vancouver. Told border guards how long I was staying left when I said I would no issues.

Old 06-23-2019, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazinmets73 View Post
I've stayed a month and two weeks previously. Both times in Vancouver. Told border guards how long I was staying left when I said I would no issues.
That might help you since you have a history of returning home, although it just takes one guard to feel overly cautious and decided no.

I say do what your comfortable most with. If you really feel that you're all good then go for it. More than anything border guards look for people who are clearly lying or seem uncomfortable at the border either because they know their doing something wrong or they just aren't prepared for the trip they "planned". The biggest thing they'll want to know is if you have the proper funds and resources to get home. Just calmly let them know and I don't see you having any problems.

Old 06-23-2019, 12:44 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,555,283 times
Your plan isn't unusual, so if they ask why you have no return ticket, simply tell them what you said here.

Of course if they suspect you are trying to stay rather than return, not much you can do. Having a job to go back to helps. They may ask where you work etc.

I wouldn't worry actually, and the only way to know is to try.

Old 06-23-2019, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicfamly5 View Post
That might help you since you have a history of returning home, although it just takes one guard to feel overly cautious and decided no.

I say do what your comfortable most with. If you really feel that you're all good then go for it. More than anything border guards look for people who are clearly lying or seem uncomfortable at the border either because they know their doing something wrong or they just aren't prepared for the trip they "planned". The biggest thing they'll want to know is if you have the proper funds and resources to get home. Just calmly let them know and I don't see you having any problems.
Yea, and to add credence to my story I'm visiting a friend who used to live in Vancouver and moved to Halifax. I loved spending time with him in Van; hope eastern Canada is just as fun!

Old 06-23-2019, 02:44 PM

17,310 posts, read 22,046,867 times
Can't say it will be a big deal as long as you aren't bringing tons of stuff with you (like you are moving).

Old 06-23-2019, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Can't say it will be a big deal as long as you aren't bringing tons of stuff with you (like you are moving).
I'll have hockey equipment

Old 06-23-2019, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazinmets73 View Post
Yea, and to add credence to my story I'm visiting a friend who used to live in Vancouver and moved to Halifax. I loved spending time with him in Van; hope eastern Canada is just as fun!
Oh you'll definitely be fine with a quick explanation! I'm from Seattle and go up to Vancouver every once in a while; my husband and I love it so much and from everything we've heard other parts are just as special.

I hope you have a great trip!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada