Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2020, 11:19 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,477,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
From one of your own news organizations, here is one of the things they are trying to eliminate. My guess is they are underestimating the number. These folks stay here and either don't pay their fair share of taxes, or they use stolen identities. You got 30,000 aging cowards and dickheads from us, but we have these folks from you. Not sure who got the worse part of the bargain.

https://nationalpost.com/news/world/...gal-immigrants
Yeah; I guess just it escaped your notice one of those "cowards and dickheads" is now your president. A dodger is a dodger regardless if he crossed a border

And lets' take a look at the other side of the coin shall we:

https://globalnews.ca/news/364043/am...aught-by-cbsa/

AND this one that dang near bankrupted our single payer system:

https://www.nytimes.com/1993/12/20/w...in-canada.html I challenge you to read the full article.

"The total number of improper claims in Ontario was estimated at 600,000." That was just one province in one six month period alone.

That went on for decades of Americans freeloading on our system of healthcare. It was the single biggest reason why we had to go to photo enhanced membership cards across the nation.

Now about that comment Canadians having a national trait of wanting something for nothing - you were saying?

Old 03-27-2020, 01:06 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,536,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
What exactly are you trying to gain from asking that question?.

Obviously no one can answer that until they gather enough data on exactly where and who it hit and other associated factors to really drill down and analyze why the mortality rate ended up being higher in some places than others. I would assume we are at least 6 months to a year out to really come to an educated conclusion.
I was hoping for an answer. That someone here may have read something on it. I'm pretty sure health professionals have taken notice of it.

It is a legitimate question.

It is quite a stark contrast so and I believe comparing Canada and the US on this, is appropriate, since both our countries got their first cases of the virus at the same time.

If there is an answer it could help both of us, since the death rate may turn around in Canada and if we can do something to stop that, great, or if there is something you guys can do to lower yours great as well.

Last edited by Natnasci; 03-27-2020 at 01:15 PM..

Old 03-27-2020, 01:08 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,536,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
I think it's probably simply because of the population density in the areas that have been infected. Any given million people in the states are generally a lot more closely packed together than any given million in Canada.

Thanks...that is one thing to consider, but that would explain the spread more than the death rate, I believe????

Last edited by Natnasci; 03-27-2020 at 01:45 PM..

Old 03-27-2020, 01:19 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,949,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Why does Canada care what we do on OUR side of the border?

If its a waste of resources and money, that's for the US electorate to weigh in on.
For some reason, I thought it was an effort to force Canada to accept people who attempt to cross the border illegally. That is, the troops will be 32 miles or km South of the border. People from the USA will attempt to illegally enter Canada. Canada's new policy is to turn them back regardless of their claim, rather than accept them and process them. I wondered if the troops intended to stop people in that no-mans-land, between the border and the troops, and stop them from returning to wherever they came from. That could force Canada to accept them.

Old 03-27-2020, 01:48 PM

9,368 posts, read 6,967,418 times
sure they don't want US military at the border but lets say there is a major outbreak in NY and 1000's of infected start fleeing for Montreal and Toronto. What then would they want somebody there to stop them?

Old 03-27-2020, 01:57 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,949,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
sure they don't want US military at the border but lets say there is a major outbreak in NY and 1000's of infected start fleeing for Montreal and Toronto. What then would they want somebody there to stop them?
If there's a bunch of crazy virus infected people from NY trying to invade Canada, then the Canadian military will get their guns and shoo them away. Are people in NY crazy enough to flee their country?

Old 03-27-2020, 02:18 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,036,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Yeah; I guess just it escaped your notice one of those "cowards and dickheads" is now your president. A dodger is a dodger regardless if he crossed a border
Actually, it was quite legal for any citizen to get what was called a "deferment" from the draft by going to college and graduate school. Millions did that. Some became physicians. Others became teachers and so forth. The President studied military science in high school, but he did not go into the military. He chose to go to college instead. You got the lazy dodgers who refused to serve, and didn't have enough gumption to go to school either. Most Americans believe you are more than welcome to them.

Additionally, married citizens with children were routinely granted deferments. So were full time police and fire personnel, and those of certain specific occupations.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?v...x=2&ajaxhist=0

There was intense pressure to not let them (Canada dodgers) return to America for many years, but finally the government relented and allowed some of them back in as visitors I believe, due to consideration for their families.

Wow. Canada caught 54 Americans working there illegally and returned them. Shocking, I tell you. Shocking! And, to top it off, it actually made your national news.

There are more illegal Canadians working in Milo, Maine alone than that. I knew of an illegal Canadian working as a bar tender in Moundsville, WV in the 1980s. Everyone left her alone though. She was friendly and pretty good looking. Illegal Acadians are commonplace in New England.

Last edited by CTMountaineer; 03-27-2020 at 02:45 PM..

Old 03-27-2020, 02:42 PM

3,862 posts, read 5,284,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I was hoping for an answer. That someone here may have read something on it. I'm pretty sure health professionals have taken notice of it.

It is a legitimate question.

It is quite a stark contrast so and I believe comparing Canada and the US on this, is appropriate, since both our countries got their first cases of the virus at the same time.

If there is an answer it could help both of us, since the death rate may turn around in Canada and if we can do something to stop that, great, or if there is something you guys can do to lower yours great as well.
People are definitely gathering data on this but no reputable medical professional is going to speculate without real concrete data in place to stand behind. That’s the scary part of this whole thing is that everyone is going into it blind and we really won’t know best practices until the peak has passed. It’s depressing but it’s the truth.

We really only know who did well when it came to testing like South Korea but otherwise it’s a crap shoot. We do also know that South Korea, Switzerland and Germany have performed best with mortality rates so far but it’s purely speculation as to why that is the case. Age, Hospital beds per capita, nurses per capita, diet, etc could be contributing factors but after all that everyone basically says “we don’t really know”

Old 03-27-2020, 03:10 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,477,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
Actually, it was quite legal for any citizen to get what was called a "deferment" from the draft by going to college and graduate school. Millions did that. Some became physicians. Others became teachers and so forth. The President studied military science in high school, but he did not go into the military. He chose to go to college instead. You got the lazy dodgers who refused to serve, and didn't have enough gumption to go to school either. Most Americans believe you are more than welcome to them.

Additionally, married citizens with children were routinely granted deferments. So were full time police and fire personnel, and those of certain specific occupations.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?v...x=2&ajaxhist=0

There was intense pressure to not let them (Canada dodgers) return to America for many years, but finally the government relented and allowed some of them back in as visitors I believe, due to consideration for their families.

Wow. Canada caught 54 Americans working there illegally and returned them. Shocking, I tell you. Shocking! And, to top it off, it actually made your national news.

There are more illegal Canadians working in Milo, Maine alone than that. I knew of an illegal Canadian working as a bar tender in Moundsville, WV in the 1980s. Everyone left her alone though. She was friendly and pretty good looking. Illegal Acadians are commonplace in New England.
So; Trump's daddy forcing a doctor tenant in one of his rental properties to give his son (the second member of a family with the history of draft dodging, as it happens) a phony bone spur diagnosis while he was still competing in a variety of sports at that sissified military college is okei-dokie with you. eh?

I once knew many of those "cowards" and "lazy dodgers" and to a man, every one of them were working and contributing while paying taxes, totally unlike your lying president having spent his entire life avoiding any responsibility for anything and everything..

You ignored the fact that Canada was not aggressively going after them to avoid creating a diplomatic uproar. You also ignored the stated fact that Canada didn't even have a systematic method of tracking them at the time as there was little interest, so the 54 represent nothing close to the reality of the situation.

You failed to address the Americans in the hundreds of thousands fraudulently obtaining Canadian healthcare for decades. Whattasmattah; numbers only work for you when your bias is satisfied?

I refer back to my previous post about an American presuming to lecture any Canadian about ethics.

You're still mildly amusing.

Old 03-27-2020, 03:17 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,314,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
People are definitely gathering data on this but no reputable medical professional is going to speculate without real concrete data in place to stand behind. That’s the scary part of this whole thing is that everyone is going into it blind and we really won’t know best practices until the peak has passed. It’s depressing but it’s the truth.

We really only know who did well when it came to testing like South Korea but otherwise it’s a crap shoot. We do also know that South Korea, Switzerland and Germany have performed best with mortality rates so far but it’s purely speculation as to why that is the case. Age, Hospital beds per capita, nurses per capita, diet, etc could be contributing factors but after all that everyone basically says “we don’t really know”
Yeah, we don't know. I haven't checked for a few days but at one point most of the people here who were infected came via flights from Vancouver. Whether those flights originated elsewhere I don't know. I don't understand why they don't give more details.

Things are definitely not looking normal here. There's far less traffic on the roads, the downtown of a neighbouring town is dead. At least one of my brothers-in-law was laid off. Another one is a teacher and he is still supposed to show up to work because officially school is in progress but the only one there is the janitor. My vet has a closed door policy which means I call them when I show up and someone comes out and takes my dog in. My dog had major surgery planned before this happened. And when I picked her up it was the same way - call when you get here and they brought her out.

I thought that perhaps local people would feel these restrictions were overblown but from creeping around on Facebook it looks like there are only a few yahoos, and they are not from farming families. I think perhaps the years of restrictions on pig and poultry barns in order to stop various diseases have worked to educate a lot of rural families on how important it is to avoid tracking diseases elsewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada