Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2020, 11:41 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,330,165 times

Advertisements

Brian Pallister is the most defensive person I have seen. He looks like the stress of this is getting to him enough to make me wonder about his mental health. Why would he deny the obvious - that his government moved far too late on restrictions? I definitely don't think he can expect to win an election after this fiasco.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2020, 11:49 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,047,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barneyg View Post
I am a bit surprised by that explanation for Quebec, I think it’s far off the mark. There is a clear link here between the anti-maskers and right wing talk radio and more extreme spin-offs (conspiracy theorists etc.). The typical Limbaugh-style talk radio has been popular in some areas of Quebec for a few decades and that’s the source of our anti-mask movement, not some sort of Latin origin.

That said, that movement is vocal but has very little support in practice. Just a few weeks after that statscan survey, Quebec made masks mandatory in all indoor spaces open to the public and pretty much everyone complies or at least pretends to.
Yes, compliance with masking in indoor public spaces in Quebec is close to 100% in my observation.

The anti-maskers huff and puff and (sometimes) march in the streets but when they go to the grocery store or the pharmacy they still put on a mask.

You can't really get in without one. If you try it an employee or a fellow customer will tell you right away. And if you were to protest, I am sure other people would step in.

I've seen a few people walk in (just inside) to a place without a mask, and within seconds someone says "sir, your mask", and they always say "oh, sorry, I forgot", in an embarrassed way.

No one challenges.

Old 11-23-2020, 01:02 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,330,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Yes, compliance with masking in indoor public spaces in Quebec is close to 100% in my observation.

The anti-maskers huff and puff and (sometimes) march in the streets but when they go to the grocery store or the pharmacy they still put on a mask.

You can't really get in without one. If you try it an employee or a fellow customer will tell you right away. And if you were to protest, I am sure other people would step in.

I've seen a few people walk in (just inside) to a place without a mask, and within seconds someone says "sir, your mask", and they always say "oh, sorry, I forgot", in an embarrassed way.

No one challenges.
Since the mandatory mask restrictions came into place here, I haven't seen anyone not wearing a mask. But for a couple of weeks I've been doing curbside pickup on my groceries. The only place I go into personally is Shopper's Drug Mart. I did the Christmas shopping for my husband's grandchildren in summer so I have no worries about that.

I will seriously miss Christmas gatherings. But my family had realized back in summer that Christmas, and New Year's for that matter, won't be possible. There's no way they can get this under control by Christmas.

So, question for everyone: if they come out with a vaccine, would you want to be one of the first to take it or would you feel it's better to wait and see?

I think I would take it if offered but I wouldn't fight my way to the front of the line. My parents have said they wouldn't take it just yet, and my husband's health has declined to the point where I wonder if it would be a good idea for him to take it, and those are the people I'm most worried about.

On a telephone appointment with his doctor, the doctor told me to do everything to keep him out of the ER as he "stands a very high chance of getting Covid." It's scary to feel kind of trapped with a sick person and feel like the ER has to be avoided.

Old 11-23-2020, 01:57 PM

I am in my early 50s and in pretty good health with no pre-existing conditions or risk factors.

So I will probably be in the second or third group that becomes eligible for vaccination. I will likely get it done.

My kids are in their late teens and in good health, so they'll be among the last to get it.

Old 11-23-2020, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post

There's always a certain percentage of people who aren't capable of critical thing. The blame on Quebec anti-maskers has been placed on Quebecers' love of socializing. In Steinbach it's placed on religion. I place it on morons. Generic morons.
]
A disproportionate part of Quebec's numbers were arguably religion-influenced as well. And don't necessarily involve Monsieur and Madame Dupont.

Old 11-23-2020, 04:09 PM

3,462 posts, read 2,791,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
A disproportionate part of Quebec's numbers were arguably religion-influenced as well. And don't necessarily involve Monsieur and Madame Dupont.
Who are the Duponts?

Old 11-23-2020, 05:51 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,409,857 times
From earlier today.

RCMP investigate after over 100 believed to have attended service at rural church.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...id19-1.5812531

Old 11-23-2020, 06:06 PM

7,681 posts, read 5,532,541 times
Quote:
So, question for everyone: if they come out with a vaccine, would you want to be one of the first to take it or would you feel it's better to wait and see?
I think the first groups to be given the opportunity will be nursing home residents (high risk, in a group setting) and front line health workers. That’s a lot of people. It will take time for them to be vaccinated.

It also appears likely that 3 different vaccines may be available but not necessarily at the same time. One vaccine might be more effective than the anothers for a particular age group.

I’d wait for more information and when a vaccine is actually on offer for your group to worry about it.

Old 11-23-2020, 06:29 PM

2,869 posts, read 5,138,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suesbal View Post
Who are the Duponts?
I’ll go on a limb and say it’s people of French/Catholic origin.

Old 11-24-2020, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barneyg View Post
I’ll go on a limb and say it’s people of French/Catholic origin.
Yes, in the stereotypical sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada