Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2020, 04:59 PM

120 posts, read 71,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Meanwhile:
Meanwhile?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2020, 05:16 PM

869 posts, read 1,125,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
Never been on the CBC boards, but I can imagine. It's something, isn't it?

As Alex Trebek (or maybe it was Morley Safer) said in an interview years ago, xenophobia vis-a-vis the US is fed to Canadians like Pablum (a baby food that I think was made/still is made in Canada).

Yep!

Those MIDDLE AMERICA IS HICKLAND threads were always a big hit on the Canada forum, then the last 4 years you sprinkle some...Trump is a plague on the entire galaxy... to it and you reach top of the billboard.

Old 07-22-2020, 06:08 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,955,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonsereed View Post
Yep!

Those MIDDLE AMERICA IS HICKLAND threads were always a big hit on the Canada forum, then the last 4 years you sprinkle some...Trump is a plague on the entire galaxy... to it and you reach top of the billboard.
I'm a bit slow on the update here - not sure what you mean.

The difference between Canada and the USA regarding virus is summed up below. Canadian politicians are on the same page regarding management of pandemic. USA politicians use pandemic to score political points. Because the USA has such a bizarre response to illness, most countries in the world will not allow people from the USA to cross their borders.

Of interest, since July 1, 2020, Canadians can freely travel to the EU with no quarantine period. Too bad for people who are too stupid to take a pandemic seriously - they can stay home, vandalize their country and lob insults at other countries. They can have tantrums about their individual rights all day long and no one cares.
"Gov. Kay Ivey this week ordered all Alabama residents 6 and older to wear masks when in public and within 6 feet (2 metres) of someone who is not a relative. Cast against a pandemic that has become increasingly political, the move drew both praise as a potentially life-saving step and harsh criticism from those who called it an unnecessary affront to freedom.

Saag said he hopes the order helps, but it all depends on compliance. Ivey herself said the rule will be hard to enforce, and some police and sheriff's offices have said they won't even try.

"People continue to regard the virus as a political scheme or conspiracy theory. People continue to ignore recommended guidelines on how to help slow the virus' spread. People continue to complain about wearing a mask. We've got to do better as a community," Dowell, the Mississippi doctor, wrote in a Facebook message released by South Sunflower County hospital."
https://www.ctvnews.ca/world/doctor-...gard-1.5029567

Old 07-22-2020, 06:59 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,489,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowhound View Post
Meanwhile?
I would have thought the last few months to a year of having any number of American leadership principals outright insulting Canada, using the MSM to do so in a very calculated public manner, would give pause to all those suggesting this is purely a Canadian "xenophobia" thing.

Old 07-22-2020, 07:51 PM

120 posts, read 71,264 times
Quote:
I would have thought the last few months to a year of having any number of American leadership principals outright insulting Canada, using the MSM to do so in a very calculated public manner, would give pause to all those suggesting this is purely a Canadian "xenophobia" thing.
You tell it like it is!

Old 07-22-2020, 07:55 PM

869 posts, read 1,125,015 times
Quote:

This comes from a position of strength, our leaders have learned long ago not to engage in a tit for tat escalation with the the giant next door, doesnt necessarily mean we have always had the kinder gentler officials.

Old 07-22-2020, 07:57 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,842,106 times
Quote:
I have no idea what you're talking about. Honestly. I don't watch TV; I don't follow the "news."

If it's Trump you're talking about, so what? The guy's an idiot who insults everyone.

In any case, does it ever occur to you that Canadian media tries very hard to keep Canadians riled up about the US, just as the US media works diligently to keep Americans riled up (about everything)? And Canadians bite the bait -- hook, line, and sinker -- just as Americans do.

Old 07-22-2020, 09:46 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,955,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
I have no idea what you're talking about. Honestly. I don't watch TV; I don't follow the "news."

If it's Trump you're talking about, so what? The guy's an idiot who insults everyone.

In any case, does it ever occur to you that Canadian media tries very hard to keep Canadians riled up about the US, just as the US media works diligently to keep Americans riled up (about everything)? And Canadians bite the bait -- hook, line, and sinker -- just as Americans do.
Funny that people in the USA have fewer rights than Commonwealth countries and the EU? Why aren't people in the USA protesting the fact that they've lost the right to travel? Isn't it time for a new complaint?

Canada doesn't even need to quarantine when they visit the EU. Canada and the EU are playing by the same rules. The USA is not. Canadians can travel again as of July 1. USA has out of control virus - no one is interested in their money.

Doesn't the USA care about their self-imposed loss of rights? Those who declare they are the best in the world have fewer rights than Canada and the EU while they destroy their cities? What exactly is going on?

Old 07-22-2020, 10:00 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,500,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
I swear these past few months the comments on the CBC boards have taken a spiteful, vitriolic turn and some commenters sound borderline xenophobic of Americans . This CDF Canada forum is tame compared to what is said on the CBC poster boards.

If you go to the main CBC News facebook page the comments are basically dominated by conservatives who are very pro American and pro Trump.

Ive only seen anti-Americanism on more local pages like CBC Manitoba for example.

Old 07-22-2020, 10:03 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,500,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
Funny that people in the USA have fewer rights than Commonwealth countries and the EU? Why aren't people in the USA protesting the fact that they've lost the right to travel? Isn't it time for a new complaint?

Canada doesn't even need to quarantine when they visit the EU. Canada and the EU are playing by the same rules. The USA is not. Canadians can travel again as of July 1. USA has out of control virus - no one is interested in their money.

Doesn't the USA care about their self-imposed loss of rights? Those who declare they are the best in the world have fewer rights than Canada and the EU while they destroy their cities? What exactly is going on?

Because international travel was never popular with Americans in the pre covid world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada