Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2021, 09:34 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,513,617 times

Advertisements

Who else finds this more than just a bit questionable:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canad...FGt?li=AAggXBV

I hope it does indeed come back to bite this cretin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2021, 10:19 AM

3,476 posts, read 2,810,300 times
Is the notwithstanding clause one of those things that’s good when your party uses it and bad when the other parties use it?

Old 06-12-2021, 12:06 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,536,606 times
The notwithstanding clause is at the very least controversial whenever anyone uses it. One can argue its importance, but there is always a degree of discomfort whenever it is used.

Old 06-12-2021, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
The notwithstanding clause is at the very least controversial whenever anyone uses it. One can argue its importance, but there is always a degree of discomfort whenever it is used.
I disagree with it's conception being made necessary in the first place, but here we are and probably would not be here without it having been offered and accepted. I just object to it being thought necessary to be used by ANY party.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sectio...s_and_Freedoms

Leadership that has demonstrated an ability to find and strike compromise should not require it's use as a "tool".

But then I'm just an elderly pragmatic idealist.

Old 06-12-2021, 06:40 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,585,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Who else finds this more than just a bit questionable:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canad...FGt?li=AAggXBV

I hope it does indeed come back to bite this cretin.
Like the article says, it might do him more harm than good.

Oh, and it's "But then I'm just an elderly curmudgeonly pragmatic idealist "

You must embrace your inner curmudgeon.

Old 06-13-2021, 03:03 AM

3,630 posts, read 3,421,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Over the thirty-plus years, nearly forty years, of the Charter, the Notwithstanding Clause has proven to be problematic. Sadly, what it would take to repeal it is another constitutional convention--and since Meech Lake failed, and Charlottetown failed, I don't see another constitutional convention in our future. So, we're stuck with it.

That being said, the consensus among the constitutional scholars with whom I have spoken, is that invoking the Notwithstanding Clause is political suicide. Canadians don't like their Charter rights to be abrogated by Charter s. 33. Mr. Ford may be playing with fire here; and in doing so, he may just have lost the next Ontario election.

Old 06-13-2021, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post

Oh, and it's "But then I'm just an elderly curmudgeonly pragmatic idealist "

You must embrace your inner curmudgeon.
That's the problem Nat; my inner curmudgeon is no longer camouflaged and is now pandemic stimulated, full blown!

Old 06-13-2021, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
Over the thirty-plus years, nearly forty years, of the Charter, the Notwithstanding Clause has proven to be problematic. Sadly, what it would take to repeal it is another constitutional convention--and since Meech Lake failed, and Charlottetown failed, I don't see another constitutional convention in our future. So, we're stuck with it.

That being said, the consensus among the constitutional scholars with whom I have spoken, is that invoking the Notwithstanding Clause is political suicide. Canadians don't like their Charter rights to be abrogated by Charter s. 33. Mr. Ford may be playing with fire here; and in doing so, he may just have lost the next Ontario election.
Chevy; that's my hope that the past use of it as seen by the majority as being some sort of end-run around our constitutional provisions akin to "it's my ball and if I can't be the pitcher . . . " sort of thing.

I'm hoping that Ford's propensity towards that autocrat within comes him a cropper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada