Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 08:45 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fear&Whiskey View Post
But it again re-enforces my point that it takes most British people a hint or a shove in the right direction to detect a Canadian by accent alone.
Oh yeah, and his accent is pretty typical of what you hear in Canadian commercial (basically everything except the CBC) entertainment and sports media. It is not exactly American but just a tad more American-sounding than what you hear on the streets in Canada.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2010, 08:49 AM

Quote:
I'm not an avid listener of the show but have listened from time to time over the years. You're probably right though, to hear a presenter mixing pop culture anecdotes with references to a home run hit by a New York Yankee in 1979 is probably not the best way to promote Canadian culture in the UK.
Or even send a barely perceptible subtle message that Canada actually exists!

Of course, he's probably just doing what the BBC asks him to do. The BBC probably doesn't think there is much interest in the UK for hockey (even if most pro teams are actually in the U.S.), Canadian (CFL) football, etc.

Old 12-13-2010, 09:06 AM

3,059 posts, read 8,285,858 times
Quote:
...But it again re-enforces my point that it takes most British people a hint or a shove in the right direction to detect a Canadian by accent alone.
I wouldn't lose any sleep over it - not even we Canadians can detect a Canadian (or an American) by accent alone.

Certain areas in both countries have distinctive regional accents, but many many Canadians and Americans have a homogenous 'North American' accent that does not indicate residence in either country.

Old 12-13-2010, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshineleith View Post
I wouldn't lose any sleep over it - not even we Canadians can detect a Canadian (or an American) by accent alone.
I am glad I am not the only Canadian with this difficulty! (Though I am not a native English-speaking Canadian...)

Old 12-13-2010, 09:23 AM

3,059 posts, read 8,285,858 times
Perfect example of "the accent I can't place"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWH5XubGKLA

He could be American, he could be Canadian. Actually he sounds a lot like Paul Lynde (remember him?) LOL

Old 12-13-2010, 10:11 AM

1,574 posts, read 5,118,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Oh yeah, and his accent is pretty typical of what you hear in Canadian commercial (basically everything except the CBC) entertainment and sports media. It is not exactly American but just a tad more American-sounding than what you hear on the streets in Canada.
The Canadian accent in commercials sound different from the accents spoken on the street?

Old 12-13-2010, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1000 View Post
The Canadian accent in commercials sound different from the accents spoken on the street?
I was referring to "commercial media", other than the CBC. Radio station disc jockeys, sportscasters, etc.

Old 12-13-2010, 11:05 AM

5,586 posts, read 10,656,199 times
This conversation reminds me of the first time I ever heard Quebec French spoken by these three excitable, tipsy girls whilst at a party in France (I speak European French) - I heard these long vowel sounds which instantly made me think of an American accent, so listened in a bit and was quite impressed that a group of American girls spoke French that fluently, but then if they spoke it so quickly then why were they absolutely murdering the accent and using these words I'd never heard, and if they were American then why were they talking to each other in French anyway when surely it would be easier to just speak English? Honestly, I was THIS close to asking them the last question and making an arse out of myself when I realised what it was

Old 12-13-2010, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post
This conversation reminds me of the first time I ever heard Quebec French spoken by these three excitable, tipsy girls whilst at a party in France (I speak European French) - I heard these long vowel sounds which instantly made me think of an American accent, so listened in a bit and was quite impressed that a group of American girls spoke French that fluently, but then if they spoke it so quickly then why were they absolutely murdering the accent and using these words I'd never heard, and if they were American then why were they talking to each other in French anyway when surely it would be easier to just speak English? Honestly, I was THIS close to asking them the last question and making an arse out of myself when I realised what it was
Funny, I've heard the Quebec/French Canadian accent all my life and I never thought about it potentially sounding "American" to someone. But on thinking about it, I guess it could. Interesting observation.

Just for fun, I noticed two words in your post:

whilst: no native English speaker born in Canada would ever say "whilst" these days; it is always "while" like in the U.S.; I know Aussies and Kiwis tend to say "whilst".

arse: not used in the U.S. but still somewhat used in Canada, interchangeably (though perhaps a tad less common) with "ass".

Last edited by Acajack; 12-13-2010 at 11:41 AM..

Old 12-13-2010, 12:00 PM

681 posts, read 2,913,366 times
Good post, Brodie734, with excellent insights. It has never been easy for Canadians to exist alongside such noisy, brash neighbors as we backward Yanks, but for the most part they've done a great job of it.

That said, I think for the most part we have a closer affinity to Aussies, and I think they in turn are more comfortable with our way of life than that of fellow members of their commonwealth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada