Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2010, 06:58 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
99% of English speaking Canadians wouldn't care at all if a British person looked down their nose at Canadian english with some scathing comments.
This is because Britain is now outside of the "identity realm" for most Canadians.

Substitute the word "British" for "American" in your sentence and the same claim cannot be made.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2010, 12:45 PM

347 posts, read 695,859 times
I have noticed a sort of reverence for Britain from Anglo- Canadians while I was attending university there. Found it quite strange actually as I'm sure this feeling doesn't go both ways.
For eg. In a film class of mine one of the students in my group project suggested narrating a documentary we were working on in an English accent as this would give it more "credibility" he believed.
Another example, Canadians on campus who had travelled outside of the continent would generally have only been to the UK.
Also, people would really look up to people who hooked up with English girls or guys. It was considered quite a feather in their cap!

Old 12-17-2010, 02:48 PM

944 posts, read 1,210,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewitchisback View Post
I have noticed a sort of reverence for Britain from Anglo- Canadians while I was attending university there. Found it quite strange actually as I'm sure this feeling doesn't go both ways.
For eg. In a film class of mine one of the students in my group project suggested narrating a documentary we were working on in an English accent as this would give it more "credibility" he believed.
Another example, Canadians on campus who had travelled outside of the continent would generally have only been to the UK.
Also, people would really look up to people who hooked up with English girls or guys. It was considered quite a feather in their cap!
This is actually equally true in the US. Rampant anglophilia is extremely common in English North America

Old 12-17-2010, 07:16 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,578,968 times
Canada has really never been "British" per se. The country has been made up of many different cultures and has been since the beginning. Where the confusion is, is that for a long long time Canada was "Ruled" by an "Anglo" elite even though the predominent culture was a mixed one to say the least. All of my own family was Scottish and came to Canada in the 1840's. They were White Anglo Saxon protesents and were in their minds at least, part of that ruling elite. If you were to have told them they were British you had better get your dukes up because they had no love at all for the English and rather disliked them. The society was very consious of race and even Roman Catholics were kept out of the upper strata organizations. So the ruling culture was a wasp culture that could include any Northern European nationalities that were not Catholic.

Old 12-20-2010, 11:40 AM

1,373 posts, read 3,128,001 times
i dont really think Canada is much more English than Singapore to be honest lol

Old 12-20-2010, 10:25 PM

Singapore is more outwardly British than Canada to be certain

Old 12-20-2010, 10:47 PM

7,371 posts, read 6,832,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
Canada has really never been "British" per se. The country has been made up of many different cultures and has been since the beginning. Where the confusion is, is that for a long long time Canada was "Ruled" by an "Anglo" elite even though the predominent culture was a mixed one to say the least. All of my own family was Scottish and came to Canada in the 1840's. They were White Anglo Saxon protesents and were in their minds at least, part of that ruling elite. If you were to have told them they were British you had better get your dukes up because they had no love at all for the English and rather disliked them. The society was very consious of race and even Roman Catholics were kept out of the upper strata organizations. So the ruling culture was a wasp culture that could include any Northern European nationalities that were not Catholic.
Agree, some of my family were part of the original partners of the NorthWest Company...fur traders who were fiercely independent highland Scots who intensely disliked anything related to England. Their sons and daughters married other Scots associated with the fur trade (HBC). The HBC were Anglicans, the Scots were Presbyterian. If one worked with HBC (mostly Orkney Islanders), they were innundated with "English" religion and mannerisms, but they never considered themselves anything but "Scottish". My parents had visitors from Orkney a few years back, and my Dad mentioned going to England, to which my Scottish cousin replied "We don't like THEM". Even as a young woman growing up, my parents frowned upon me marrying anyone Catholic or anything but a white Anglo-Saxon--God forbid. Today, they could care less. How things have changed.

Old 12-22-2010, 09:56 PM

95 posts, read 258,509 times
The u.s. isn't british at all. They defeated the british a long time ago and are no longer in the commonwealth.

Old 12-22-2010, 10:07 PM

Scottish and British are not mutually exclusive terms.

Old 12-27-2010, 10:39 PM

So, this thread inspired me to go out and buy myself a little Christmas present... The Strange Demise of British Canada: The Liberals and Canadian Nationalism, 1964-68: Amazon.ca: C.P. Champion: Books

It's a fascinating read for anyone interested in this subject, I tend to agree with the author's conclusion (which can be read in the free preview on that link) that there's something inherently British about modern Canada, something that lurks just beneath the surface. It goes well with a lot of what I've said in this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada