Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 05:17 PM

315 posts, read 1,625,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karenb1955 View Post
The economy there is different. Everything costs more, gas and food especially, but housing rentals are lower. Purchasing a home is about the same as in the States.
Remember, just like in the US, local economies, rental rates, and house prices vary wildly in different parts of the country. Buying a house as a primary residence in Canada is much different when it comes to mortgage interest tax deductions. On the average $500,000 home, the absence of a tax deduction is not insignificant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2008, 12:01 PM

15 posts, read 88,359 times
I disagree with Karen about needing an immigration lawyer. Everything you need is clearly explained on the web. However you have to read everything very carefully several times and follow the requirements. I just went through the whole process for myself and my partner who is from what you might refer to as a "third world" country. The whole process went very smoothly and we now have our immigrant visas.

For those that think immigration is simple, it is not. Count on it taking a couple of years to complete the process. Also count on about $1500 dollars in expenses just for the federal process ($550 for applying, $490 for the visa, $300 for the medical exam, and then all of the documents that you have to provide and which may have to be translated if they are not in English or French). In addition to the expenses I mentioned, if you are a skilled worker wanting to enter as a Provincial Nominee, you will have another application process and fees to be sent to the province and approved BEFORE you think of applying to the federal government for an immigrant visa.

Old 09-13-2008, 01:27 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,025,900 times
It took me 12 months to get called for my physical. Once I got that done, it took another 6 weeks to get my welcome letter. Its not hard to do it on your own as long as you have the 67 points. You do not need a lawyer. Research carefully. Im finding in my field, average salaries are 20,000-30,000 less than the average in NJ. Unfortunately the study that talked about the salaries in my field did not come out until after I got here! If I had seen it prior, I would have stayed home. I like Canada, but not for a hefty pay cut.

Old 09-16-2008, 03:11 PM

40 posts, read 170,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEEPNJ View Post
Amazing how many people in the US would LIKE to move out of it now. I have to say, I wouldn't mind doing so myself. I used to have relatives in London, Ontario and they were very happy there. I need to get up and visit one day soon.
The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence. Take it from a Canadian who finally got out. America is where its at.

Old 09-16-2008, 09:20 PM

24 posts, read 155,768 times
I applied as a skilled worker in October 2007. I was selected for an interview in June which went very well. I completed my medicals in July and sent my passport for PR visa stamping today. I completed the entire process in slightly less than a year without any assistance from an immigration consultant. Unless your case is complicated (ie felony conviction, DUI) then I would recommend that you save the money and do it yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada