Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2009, 07:21 PM

2 posts, read 9,902 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am planning on going to canada on a one year SWAP open work permit (Student Work Abroad Program). Can this open work permit be extended? If I wish to continue working for a particular employer do I need to apply for a new work permit before my SWAP permit expires? How many times can i extend my permit? Can I apply for the Provincial Nominee Program, Canadian Experience Class and/or the Skilled Worker program while I'm on this permit?

I greatly appreciate your help, I haven't found answers anywhere
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2009, 10:35 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,105,303 times
If I were in your shoes, I'd consult the agency that issues the SWAP permit, since they would be the best source of the answers to your questions.
These governmental sources are also available:
Studying in Canada
and
Working temporarily in Canada

Old 01-09-2009, 07:12 AM

1,863 posts, read 5,150,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdaa View Post
Hi, I am planning on going to canada on a one year SWAP open work permit (Student Work Abroad Program). Can this open work permit be extended? If I wish to continue working for a particular employer do I need to apply for a new work permit before my SWAP permit expires? How many times can i extend my permit? Can I apply for the Provincial Nominee Program, Canadian Experience Class and/or the Skilled Worker program while I'm on this permit?

I greatly appreciate your help, I haven't found answers anywhere
In addition to what Allforcats said, I would visit Canadian immigration site: Welcome to Citizenship and Immigration Canada You will find a lot of info here. Once you are in Canada on working permit visa, you can apply to immigrate to Canada in all three programs you mentioned: Skilled Worker class, as a Provincial Nominee and in the new Canadian Experience class. Not many visas are used in the Canadian Experience class so far, much less than what have been expected from the Canadian Government. Please note, however, that you are only eligible to apply in the Canadian experience class once you have at least 2 years of working experience in Canada. Here is the link: Canadian Experience Class: Who can apply In addition, processing times as a Provincial Nominee are much shorter than in the skilled worker class. The regulations for aplicants in the skilled worker class changed recently. Previously, you had to reach 67 points out of 100 in order to apply. Now, you can only aplly if your job/skills are in one of 38 areas. Here is the list of occupations: Instructions on which skilled worker applications are eligible for processing Now, in addition to having one of the 38 occupations from the list, you have also to reach 67 points out of 100 . Anyway, don't be discouraged by all this info. You have many options. Once you are in Canada, everything will be much simpler. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada