Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2007, 02:30 PM

23 posts, read 91,097 times

Advertisements

Sure Daniel, but my advise is don't make a citizenship decision right away if you move to Canada. Why burn bridges before you need to...unless you're worried about the draft getting you. You may have family and/or aging parents that you will think about later. Right now, for you, life may be more about work and marriage matters. Be sure you arn't blaming the US for stuff like that in your personal life. As Julia Roberts said in Pretty Woman...it's only geography. Hey a lot of these threads could hear that!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2007, 07:18 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,758,300 times
Default Dual Citizenship

Quote:
you can not be a dual citizen if you are an American first, as you forfeit your US citizenship when you pledge allegence to a "foreign power".

This a common misconception. Changes to America law brought about by US Supreme Court decisions now allow US citizens to hold dual citzenship.

Americans do not lose their US citizenship if they take citizenship in another country.

More information can be found on the US Citizenship thread.

Old 03-19-2007, 09:08 AM

23 posts, read 91,097 times
Cornerguy1 appears to be correct. I logged on here today to make the same comment. I found it on two outside sources, one being from the link that I put in my earlier post. I will have to click Cornerguy's positive post for catching it first....darn... :-) So there doesn't appear to be any disadvantage in obtaining Canadian citizenship since Canada taxes you only when you are residing in Canada.

Old 03-22-2007, 10:33 AM

177 posts, read 848,282 times
Daniel, you noted in the subject of the thread that you're a student? Well, why don't you just enroll in the vancouver film school or any other proprietary post-secondary education facility? If accepted (and doubtful you'd be rejected), you'd have to get a student visa and show proof of financial solvency when you arrive at the border (which is to say, you'll have to prove you have xyz $$$ in the bank to finance your stay). At some point (and forgive me, I cannot recall if it's 3 months or 6 months), you'd qualify for a work visa. Once you have that visa, you'll be on your way to a "real life" in canada.

eileen

Old 04-07-2007, 11:25 PM

642 posts, read 2,556,924 times
What about buying a house/condo in Vancouver or surrounding areas? Do I need anything in particular to do that? Can I reside in Canada and rent until I find a place and a job? How long do I have to do that?

Thanks for your help, it is always very appreciated

Old 04-08-2007, 11:51 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,758,300 times
Default coltoncity

Vancouver Island and the City of Vancouver or entirely seperate entities.

The City of Vancouver is located on the British Columbia mainland in the south-west corner of the proivince.

Vancouver Island is a large island, (286 miles long, 30-50 miles wide), located 30 miles off the mainland of British Columbia. The provincial capital city, Victoria, is located on Vancouver Island. Access to the City of Vancouver is usually by ferry (1.5 hours), or by by aircraft.

There are no restrictions on foreign citizens buying real estate, although the Vancouver real estate market is very pricey.

As a US citizen you could enter Canada for up to 6 months at a time as a tourist. You would have to satisfy Immigration that you have intentions of leaving the country. As a tourist, you will not be allowed to work.

If your plan is to move to Canada on a permanent basis with the option to gain employment, you'll have to explore status as either a Permanent Resident, or holder of a work visa.

Generally, those applying for Permanent Resident status do so from outside canada, although there are circumstances under which you can apply from within canada.

You can find all the information at the Government of Canada Immigration web site:

www.cic.gc.ca

Old 04-30-2007, 06:25 AM

3 posts, read 15,851 times
Default Moving to Canada

The posts are pretty accurate. Just don't have an arrogant attitude, i.e. you are American, so you are better than all your co-workers. If you look white, chances are no one will ask where you're from; unless you talk with a southern accent. If you are not white, just tell them your "background". There is no need to refer to any national origin - not that you aren't proud of your national origin, or that most Canadians had more than 1 high school credit in Geography. Unless, of course, you want to comment on the story of one of your coworker/associates, about how he caught herpes, while he was visiting down south.

Welcome!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada