Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2009, 08:07 PM

4,253 posts, read 9,455,255 times

Advertisements

I think foreigners can buy real estate (land, houses, condos) in Canada pretty easy. How does it have to correlate with their immigration status? How long a person who bought property in Canada is allowed to stay in Canada?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2009, 09:07 PM

482 posts, read 2,419,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuala View Post
I think foreigners can buy real estate (land, houses, condos) in Canada pretty easy. How does it have to correlate with their immigration status? How long a person who bought property in Canada is allowed to stay in Canada?
Each province has different rules regarding this. I know until very recently Saskatchewan wouldn't allow land sales beyond a certain size to non-Canadians. I have heard as well that in PEI land sales along the shoreline are restricted to Canadian citizens.

Old 03-08-2009, 09:28 PM

No restrictions in Nova Scotia:

"Prices for waterfront property in Nova Scotia have been inflated in some small areas, but in most cases oceanfront and lakeside lots remain affordable for local buyers and a bargain for foreign investors. Germans and Americans quantify the majority of foreigners buying up real estate in Nova Scotia."

Real Estate in Nova Scotia (http://www.aco.ca/featurepages/ns_realestate/index.html - broken link)

And apparently no restrictions on the amount of property you buy in Canada:

"There are a few things to keep in mind when investing in property in Canada by foreigners. Firstly, there are no restrictions or limitations of the amount of property you may buy. "

http://baddeck.homezilla.ca/blog/foreign-land-ownership-in-nova-scotia/

Old 03-08-2009, 10:18 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,750,941 times
Owning property in Canada does not change your immigration status or allow you to stay longer than a person of the same immigration status who is not a property owner.

In other words, merely buying a condo isn't going to allow you to suddenly stay as long as you wish.

Old 03-09-2009, 07:55 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,047,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajau View Post
Each province has different rules regarding this. I know until very recently Saskatchewan wouldn't allow land sales beyond a certain size to non-Canadians. I have heard as well that in PEI land sales along the shoreline are restricted to Canadian citizens.
Used to be off-limits to non-Islanders as well I believe, but that was changed a few years ago.

Old 03-09-2009, 11:20 AM

482 posts, read 2,419,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuala View Post
No restrictions in Nova Scotia:

"Prices for waterfront property in Nova Scotia have been inflated in some small areas, but in most cases oceanfront and lakeside lots remain affordable for local buyers and a bargain for foreign investors. Germans and Americans quantify the majority of foreigners buying up real estate in Nova Scotia."

Real Estate in Nova Scotia (http://www.aco.ca/featurepages/ns_realestate/index.html - broken link)

And apparently no restrictions on the amount of property you buy in Canada:

"There are a few things to keep in mind when investing in property in Canada by foreigners. Firstly, there are no restrictions or limitations of the amount of property you may buy. "

http://baddeck.homezilla.ca/blog/foreign-land-ownership-in-nova-scotia/

This link only explains the situation in Nova Scotia, not for all of Canada... Real Estate and Land Controls in Canada are controlled by the provinces, not the feds.

Old 03-09-2009, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornerguy1 View Post
Owning property in Canada does not change your immigration status or allow you to stay longer than a person of the same immigration status who is not a property owner.

In other words, merely buying a condo isn't going to allow you to suddenly stay as long as you wish.

Well, if I wanted to advertise real estate to foreigners, this won't be a nice and fuzzy thing for them to hear. Someone drops a couple of millions on a house and is gently taken by the elbows out of the country.

Not saying someone should be jumping the lines, just saying it doesn't seem to work together somehow.

Old 03-09-2009, 04:17 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,295,494 times
Property ownership does not convey citizenship. Seems pretty straight forward.

Old 08-17-2010, 07:11 PM

1 posts, read 11,454 times
as foreigner, can we buy agri land or developland to do agri business? if then shall we stay therew during summer and cultivate it and coem back to UK in winder. is it on canadian immigartion LAW?
could you please kinldy some one or immigration office explain me please.
I like to buy agri land or delelopment land to convert into agri land ( weet, corn, soya), if then I like to employe some one or few people to cultivate those .

Old 08-17-2010, 08:24 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,750,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynathan View Post
as foreigner, can we buy agri land or developland to do agri business? if then shall we stay therew during summer and cultivate it and coem back to UK in winder. is it on canadian immigartion LAW?
could you please kinldy some one or immigration office explain me please.
I like to buy agri land or delelopment land to convert into agri land ( weet, corn, soya), if then I like to employe some one or few people to cultivate those .

If you enter Canada as a visitor, then you are not legally permitted to work. This would include starting your own business.

See Citizenship and Immigration Canada's web site for business class immigration.

Welcome Page | Page d'accueil

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada