Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2009, 11:44 AM

42 posts, read 141,741 times

Advertisements

Hi all

Im new to this forum and would appreciate your feedback. My husband and I have been quite indecisive about where to move to in Canada. We received our PR about 2 years ago and we have been living in the US but it is time to move to Canada.

So far we have narrowed it down to the Ottawa area or somewhere in the GTA area (we have been looking at Burlington). I speak a little French but my husband is a native speaker. We also have a little toddler. Where would be most likely for us to find jobs? I am a writer and an Educator and my husband is a scientist. I know that we might not be able to find anything is our fields right off the bat so just being anything that would help pay the bills (and is legal lol) would work for now. What areas would have modestly priced rentals and a good place for families? We would prefer a place that has a small town feel.

Thanks in advance
Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2009, 12:09 PM

1,654 posts, read 5,853,567 times
Hamilton is a dying city, unemployment is at a much higher percentage than Ottawa, jobs are scarce, and most are depenant on Industry. As you know Hamilton is referred to as "Steel City". I wouldn't really suggest Hamilton, Ottawa may be a better choice from the information you've given me. If you HAVE an education (degree), since Ottawa relies more on the Knowledge-based economy, as opposed to Hamilton being industry, Ottawa would be a greater choice.

Old 06-16-2009, 10:28 AM

Thanks! Im gonna throw Waterloo into the mix. How does it compare to these other places given my criteria.

Old 06-16-2009, 11:34 AM

366 posts, read 1,185,609 times
Congrats on your move to Canada!

You cannot do wrong with any of the three choices you mentioned.

Ottawa - Pro's: all around nice city. Lot's of government and tech jobs. Con's: um, cold winters? Mid-size city.
Burlington - Pro's: Nice suburban-type community. Although it borders Hamilton, it's still the GTA - therefore relatively easy commute to the Toronto job market. Con's: A bit too far on the western-fringes of the GTA for commuting; no real a small town feel, lots of generic suburbia.
Waterloo - Pro's: Nice small city with a top notch university. Lot's of Tech jobs. Cost of living probably cheaper than the other two choices. Con's: If you can't get jobs in your fields, there might not be a lot of fallback options.

Since you mentioned your husband parle-vous's francais, I'd give the tilt to Ottawa. More of a bi-lingual atmosphere and his bilingualism might play to a greater advantage.
Good luck.

Last edited by west_end_don; 06-16-2009 at 11:35 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 06-18-2009, 04:06 PM

Thanks! We are leaning more towards Ottawa too so there would probably be our next destination. Now to decide on Ottawa or Gatineau area

Old 07-03-2009, 03:54 PM

9 posts, read 24,562 times
I'd go to Toronto unless you speak french.

Old 07-09-2009, 12:08 PM

355 posts, read 1,502,650 times
Ottawa, no question.

Old 07-10-2009, 08:25 AM

Well we do speak French. I speak some a little more than basic and my husband is a native speaker. So Ottawa it is. Thanks everyone who answered my post!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada