Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 07:26 PM

5,901 posts, read 6,109,153 times

Advertisements

Vancouver and Victoria are definitely very expensive and it's not because of the income but the scenery, so cost of living vs salary is not good there. Most areas that pay well (Ottawa, Alberta, Toronto) are also fairly costly. Areas that are cheap usually have a not so good economy.

Places like Timmins or Val D'Or are pretty good. They're isolated enough so that land is cheap, cold enough so that a lot of people don't want to move there, have mining companies that are willing to pay well and still not so isolated that goods have to be shipped in from 1000km away. Hamilton is pretty cheap too, and while the economy of the city isn't hugely strong, it's close enough to Toronto so that people can work there, or at least in its suburbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2011, 06:15 PM

3 posts, read 15,480 times
Ha ha you are joking right?

Old 10-29-2011, 10:11 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,330,579 times
You could live in the low rent St Henri,Pte Ste Charles area of Montreal and work in the downtown core in a high paying executive job, just 1 or 2 subway stops away or a brisk 30 minute walk..

Old 06-23-2012, 09:38 AM

1 posts, read 2,384 times
Dear members,

I live in Dubai and plane to migrate to Canada, which part of canada is cheaper to live in and the job opportunities are plenty, kindly advise?

Old 06-23-2012, 09:43 AM

233 posts, read 538,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr0211 View Post
Dear members,

I live in Dubai and plane to migrate to Canada, which part of canada is cheaper to live in and the job opportunities are plenty, kindly advise?
What kind of job are you looking for?

Old 07-01-2012, 04:17 AM

1 posts, read 2,307 times
i am thinking of transferring to Manitoba, Winnipeg. what is the advantage of that city?

Old 07-01-2012, 04:38 PM

233 posts, read 538,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark.filguson View Post
i am thinking of transferring to Manitoba, Winnipeg. what is the advantage of that city?
What do you mean by advantage?

Old 11-11-2012, 03:10 PM

1 posts, read 2,072 times
Rural Saskatchewan. Look at housing prices in small towns at least an hr away from any city…example…(Tisdale Sk. Naicam, Sk. Carrot River, Sk) Trades are the beat option for a higher wage and are in high demand. And a half hr. drive to work makes sense!

Old 11-12-2012, 08:41 AM

1,726 posts, read 5,863,105 times
LOL at Hamilton being cheap. Sure, it's not absurdly and ridiculously overvalued like Toronto. But it's no bargain either. A decent single detached home would run you $250k minimum in a good suburban neighbourhood (more like $300 to $350k for something "liveable" for a family of four). Sure, you can buy an old crappy house near the steel mills for $75k but who'd want to do that? If you ask me, those prices are not cheap. Most Hamiltonians do not make the kind of salary to afford that kind of house.

Old 11-12-2012, 08:56 AM

10,553 posts, read 9,654,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarp View Post
LOL at Hamilton being cheap. Sure, it's not absurdly and ridiculously overvalued like Toronto. But it's no bargain either. A decent single detached home would run you $250k minimum in a good suburban neighbourhood (more like $300 to $350k for something "liveable" for a family of four). Sure, you can buy an old crappy house near the steel mills for $75k but who'd want to do that? If you ask me, those prices are not cheap. Most Hamiltonians do not make the kind of salary to afford that kind of house.
I agree---I have lived in Hamilton as a student and I wouldn't call it cheap either.

Ancaster, Brantford, even Paris Ontario --- are no longer cheap.

In fact Brantford has a very hot real estate market right now for some unknown reason ---my Dad is trying to buy a house there, and he keeps getting shut out ---a house shows up and people are bidding right away. The last one he lost to buyers bidding full price. I'd like to know who all these avid buyers are in the middle of November. To get anything nice in Brantford now you are looking at over $300K for modest homes (which I know is not Toronto prices but it's Brantford.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada