Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2007, 03:40 PM

786 posts, read 4,731,745 times

Advertisements

I wonder if the level of social problems are as bad in Canada as here in America. I remember things being more laid back, pleasant, and more relaxed when I traveled in Canada. I suspect that statistically things are worse in America.

I am talking about things like: Crime, drugs, poverty, race relations, childhood pregnacy, violence in schools, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2007, 08:08 PM

1,703 posts, read 5,141,560 times
Ok I'm sure I'll get slammed for this answer by the PC Police but....oh well

IMO Not really. The only exception that I would day would make social conditions worse in the states are the illegals. Not that Canada doesn't have that problem but it is not nearly the magnitude that the states does. Many illegals bring everything you mentioned into this country. So there you have my politically incorrect opinion.

Old 05-04-2007, 11:10 PM

7,371 posts, read 6,829,829 times
There are lots of problems here too. We don't have the gun issues that are prevalent in the States (I don't even know anyone other than a farmer or a hunter who owns a gun). However we have lots of social issues too. Violence is becoming more problematic, lots of teenage pregnancies, lots of people committing welfare fraud, drugs, etc. And the mayor of my community wants Mexican immigrants because we live in an agricultural area, and no one wants to do the hard labour the Mexicans will do unless there is more money of course......

Old 05-07-2007, 09:52 AM

82 posts, read 618,977 times
Well, I for one don't agree with Dreameyes at all. PC or not, I think your comment is out to lunch. Once upon a time the supposed problem was the Irish. Then it was the French. Then it was the Polish. Then it was the Black community. So now it's the Mexican population? Give me a break. That ones been rubbish for 300 years, in all its manifestations. I've heard a great deal about families being proud of their relatives having come across on the Mayflower, maybe one day families here will be proud of the day their families streamed north across the border to find work and a better life. There's my rant on that. Now, as for the original question:

Canada is a nation of 90% immigrants.

Canada has it's social problems, very much akin to those experienced by the united states. The one area we lag statistically, is gun crime. Guns are not as readily available in Canada, and we don't have the gun culture that seems so prevalent here in the US. Our population is around 40 million to the US's 300,000,000, which also should be considered. And who knows, maybe it has something to do with the cold....I find it awfully hard just getting out of bed on a really cold day, maybe that prevents us from causing more trouble

Old 05-07-2007, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Jockey USA View Post
Well, I for one don't agree with Dreameyes at all. PC or not, I think your comment is out to lunch. Once upon a time the supposed problem was the Irish. Then it was the French. Then it was the Polish. Then it was the Black community. So now it's the Mexican population? Give me a break. That ones been rubbish for 300 years, in all its manifestations. I've heard a great deal about families being proud of their relatives having come across on the Mayflower, maybe one day families here will be proud of the day their families streamed north across the border to find work and a better life. There's my rant on that. Now, as for the original question:

Canada is a nation of 90% immigrants.

Canada has it's social problems, very much akin to those experienced by the united states. The one area we lag statistically, is gun crime. Guns are not as readily available in Canada, and we don't have the gun culture that seems so prevalent here in the US. Our population is around 40 million to the US's 300,000,000, which also should be considered. And who knows, maybe it has something to do with the cold....I find it awfully hard just getting out of bed on a really cold day, maybe that prevents us from causing more trouble

Well I don't know if you've lived in the states or not but if you haven't I don't think you're in a position to judge that as being not part of the problem. It is a HUGE part of the problem. Maybe not in every state but on the whole yes; just read some of the threads in immigration. I'm not saying that it is the ONLY problem. The US certainly has its fair share of problems without the illegals. I'm just saying that before this invasion (which it pretty much is) there was a lot less crime, violence and poverty. I have only lived in the states for 7 years and before that when I lived in Edmonton I hardly even knew what an illegal was and now even though I haven't had a ton of experience with illegals it really makes my bloid boil! I can't imagine how angry the people who have actually had crime and violence and just ignorant, arrogant acts commited against them because of illegals feel!

Old 05-07-2007, 01:38 PM

82 posts, read 618,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreameyes View Post
Well I don't know if you've lived in the states or not but if you haven't I don't think you're in a position to judge that as being not part of the problem. It is a HUGE part of the problem. Maybe not in every state but on the whole yes; just read some of the threads in immigration. I'm not saying that it is the ONLY problem. The US certainly has its fair share of problems without the illegals. I'm just saying that before this invasion (which it pretty much is) there was a lot less crime, violence and poverty. I have only lived in the states for 7 years and before that when I lived in Edmonton I hardly even knew what an illegal was and now even though I haven't had a ton of experience with illegals it really makes my bloid boil! I can't imagine how angry the people who have actually had crime and violence and just ignorant, arrogant acts commited against them because of illegals feel!
I live in the US.
You have been here 7 years. Before 7 years ago there was a lot less crime? Invasion? You got yourself the making of a whole other thread there dreameyes. Sounds to me you have a problem with immigrants overall.
How do you know if they're illegal or not?!?!?!? have you tried filling out the paperwork just to work here if you're sponsored with a VISA?!?!?! All it takes is not knowing which specific form to fill, missing one form, or filling out one form wrong to be technically considered an "illegal".
Either way, you and i both are painting with pretty big brush strokes on a canvass that covers 300 million and some pretty big country. That's something you and i can take up in another thread somewhere else. To the original poster, sorry for derailling.

As for this thread, and the question of whether or not Canada has the same social problems as the US, i stand by my answer. For the vast majority, yes it does, with the exception of gun related crime due to it being considerably harder to access guns in Canada (over all and by comparison to the US). Sorry for the borderline Hijack...it's a problem in Canada too :b

Old 05-07-2007, 01:44 PM

Why would I have a problem with immigrants when I am one? Ya that makes sense.
The question was not if Canada has the same social problem, which I agree it certainly does. The question was if Canada has less. And I think the answer is yes and I think part (part not all) of the problem is illegal immigration. If you disagree with that's your perogative.

Old 05-08-2007, 04:18 AM

1 posts, read 10,949 times
From my perspective it is not that we do not have social problems but we have a smaller population in all our cities. If you take the city of Toronto you do see the increase of crime and racial profiling. This is in part due to the increase in the size of the city.

From a racial point of view I would say we do not have as much as in the States.

Old 05-08-2007, 12:08 PM

942 posts, read 1,391,408 times
All in all I think Canada is more of a country that has class. If that insults the USA, I don't really care, it does. Yes it has some social problems, they are minor compared to here in the states. I have lived in the USA all my life, and have visited Canada a number of times. It is obvious that Canadians and its government take pride in their country, you can feel it when we visit there. It is clean, I don't feel the theat of crime all around me like I do in this country, or the fear of being caught in the middle of cross fire from all the guns in american society. If I was sick, I would not have to worry about going bankrupt to pay the medical bills like here, while I watched illegals getting health care and food stamps for free. Yes I have alot of respect for Canada, and yes I know they have their own problems too, they just handle them with a lot more sense and respect for their citizens than the USA does.

Old 05-08-2007, 12:45 PM

786 posts, read 4,731,745 times
Yes, I know there are social problems in Canada, but in my experience there are fewer. I see Canada as being more like America was years ago. I talked to teachers in Canada and there is less acting up in school, and the Police are more respected. Gangster Rap is not part of the Canadian culture. People are less likely to have babies out of wedlock and there are not as many people overweight. Agree or disagree?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada