Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 11:14 AM

7 posts, read 19,488 times

Advertisements

Hey, I was planning a visit to Canada next year to check it out (Was thinking of moving up there one day). What are some basic stuff I should know before I visit? So far I've looked into Canadian laws, learning a bit of french, and some culture information but would like to know more (mainly from people who live there or have visited before), thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2009, 11:36 AM

1,048 posts, read 6,445,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaiserKnight View Post
What are some basic stuff I should know before I visit?
Know where in Canada you're going.

Where in Canada are you planning to visit? It's a huge country and the regional variations between provinces shouldn't be underestimated. Each province has its own distinct identity, culture, climate, geography, and regulations. Where you end up in Canada will greatly affect how you experience it.

Just saying you're going "to Canada" is too vague.

If you can be a bit more specific, it would be helpful for us to provide you with any relevant advice. (Kind of like if I were asking advice on going to the USA without mentioning which state or city, or even when I was planning to visit... I'm sure you understand).

Last edited by Robynator; 12-07-2009 at 11:59 AM..

Old 12-07-2009, 11:41 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times
Depending on where you go there is a high probability you won't need French.

Laws are quite similar to the States, except with respect to firearms, but you probably know that already.

Don't forget to get a passport before heading for the border.

Other than that, preparation for the trip should be more on the fun side (culture, etc.) than the practical side.

Old 12-07-2009, 12:28 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,931,790 times
Generally with Passport in hand they may ask your purpose of the visit ( in my case to visit family as I was born in Ontario...my Passport shows country of birth).

NO need to learn French unless your going to Quebec...rest of the Provinces speak ENGLISH.

Only a small percentage of Canadians speak any French so feel at ease.

Enjoy your future planned trip...Canada is a great country.

Steve

Old 12-07-2009, 01:08 PM

Where in Canada is Saskatoon, and was learning French for the point system (if I do decided on living there later on, it would add more points if I at least know how to read, write, and understand French) Completely slipped my mind on actually listing where.

Old 12-07-2009, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaiserKnight View Post
Where in Canada is Saskatoon, and was learning French for the point system (if I do decided on living there later on, it would add more points if I at least know how to read, write, and understand French) Completely slipped my mind on actually listing where.
Not much use for French in Saskatoon on a practical level.

As for the points system, it is true you get points for knowing one or both of the official languages, but as you already know one, will you really get that many more points just for knowing French?

Seems like a lot of trouble to go to (learning another language, that is...)

BTW, if you are immigrating with Quebec as a destination, you will get more points for that.

Old 12-07-2009, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post

Only a small percentage of Canadians speak any French so feel at ease.
Close to one in four Canadians have French as a main language, so I don't know if that qualifies as a "small percentage".

And if you count the native French speakers plus second language speakers (ie anglos who also know French), it's like one in three Canadians who can speak French.

Of course you are right that French is very concentrated in and around Quebec...

Old 12-07-2009, 01:27 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,931,790 times
Saskatoon is in Saskatchewan between Alberta and Manitoba.

My dad was born in Kipling near Regina at the southern part of the Province.

Have never been there but dad lived on a farm before going to Ontario and meeting my mom.

You can Google up any info on the Internet.

Do not believe it is necessary to speak any French in order to immigrate...

Steve

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 12-07-2009 at 03:09 PM.. Reason: troll removed

Old 12-07-2009, 01:42 PM

3,059 posts, read 8,285,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Close to one in four Canadians have French as a main language, so I don't know if that qualifies as a "small percentage".

And if you count the native French speakers plus second language speakers (ie anglos who also know French), it's like one in three Canadians who can speak French.
Thank-you
Saved me the trouble of responding LOL.

Old 12-07-2009, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Not much use for French in Saskatoon on a practical level.

As for the points system, it is true you get points for knowing one or both of the official languages, but as you already know one, will you really get that many more points just for knowing French?

Seems like a lot of trouble to go to (learning another language, that is...)

BTW, if you are immigrating with Quebec as a destination, you will get more points for that.
Well I don't think they have a 'sliding scale' on the test so even if I only get two points, hey two points.

Also knowing more languages can help you with jobs later on and French should be a bit easier to learn seeing that I already know English (share many similar words) so even if I don't move its something useful picked up. (Though as mentioned it is still hard to learn)

Thanks for the Quebec tip, but I haven't really looked into it much and know only bits of information about it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada