Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 02:21 PM

3,007 posts, read 6,290,008 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
If I had serious coin, I'd move between the Rye, New Hampshire and NYC. Summers in NH to enjoy the seacoast and proximity to southern Maine. And I would take advantage of no income tax or sales tax in NH.. Winter would be in NYC enjoying NY's cultural offerings. Watching every play on broadway, the Opera, weekday afternoons at museums, maybe taking fun classes at NYU. And if it got too cold I'd have several airports to chose from for a quick warm weather break for a few weeks.
I was tempted to put in Southern Maine, but I figured, it was an easy weekend trip from Boston! Same goes for the Cape.

Great country up there.

S.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2009, 08:27 AM

1,863 posts, read 5,150,983 times
Interesting. Almost everybody, me including, has NYC on their list. I didn't know NYC is such a desirable place to live. Other than cultural offerings and being an economic powerhouse (lots of jobs?), what else do you think makes NYC such desirable place to live? For example, very often Toronto is considered to be a better, cleaner version of NYC: Very safe, clean, less overcrowded, less expensive and very multicultural. However, not many posters had Toronto in the top 5.

I personally am looking to escape many things I don't like about NYC, but you guys make me wondering.

Old 12-21-2009, 08:36 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,053,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingwiththewind View Post
Interesting. Almost everybody, me including, has NYC on their list. I didn't know NYC is such a desirable place to live. Other than cultural offerings and being an economic powerhouse (lots of jobs?), what else do you think makes NYC such desirable place to live? For example, very often Toronto is considered to be a better, cleaner version of NYC: Very safe, clean, less overcrowded, less expensive and very multicultural. However, not many posters had Toronto in the top 5.

I personally am looking to escape many things I don't like about NYC, but you guys make me wondering.
I think in the minds of many (not necessarily me), Toronto may have a lot of what NYC has to offer, but it lacks a unique personality. And if you're going to go for the metropolis lifestyle, why not go for the real McCoy?

Old 12-21-2009, 08:50 AM

1,048 posts, read 6,445,909 times
Pretty much what Acajack says.

Honestly, I have no real desire to pick up my life and move to NYC, but if given the opporunity, I wouldn't hesitate, if not just for the experience.

Old 12-21-2009, 12:49 PM

30 posts, read 132,889 times
since it's places not necessarily cities:
1) Victoria, BC
2) Eastsound, Orcas Island WA
3) Tofino, BC
4) Santa Barbara, CA (for winter break)

Old 12-21-2009, 05:19 PM

87 posts, read 392,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I think in the minds of many (not necessarily me), Toronto may have a lot of what NYC has to offer, but it lacks a unique personality. And if you're going to go for the metropolis lifestyle, why not go for the real McCoy?
true, i had toronto at number 2 and i agree. Theres something BLAH about toronto, culturally it dosent compare to many other cities ppl have on their lists, san fran, montreal, new york.

but hey, home is home and i really wouldnt want to be anywhere else when i think about it, Toronto has alot to offer... notice chicago hasnt been on any of the lists either.

Old 12-21-2009, 11:44 PM

3,456 posts, read 3,382,424 times
I'm sure I'll stink at giving this a try, but here it goes(apologies for my eastern half bias):

(in no order)
1) Montreal
2) Key West
3) Asheville
4) NYC
5) Halifax

Last edited by SonySegaTendo617; 12-21-2009 at 11:49 PM.. Reason: second thought, Asheville edges out ATL for #3

Old 12-22-2009, 01:53 PM

701 posts, read 1,901,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m0ee View Post
true, i had toronto at number 2 and i agree. Theres something BLAH about toronto, culturally it dosent compare to many other cities ppl have on their lists, san fran, montreal, new york.

but hey, home is home and i really wouldnt want to be anywhere else when i think about it, Toronto has alot to offer... notice chicago hasnt been on any of the lists either.
Chicago was on my list, for its incredibly beautiful architecture within a reasonably large and clean metropolis.

Toronto, sadly, really doesn't have anything unique, and I can't think of anything that Toronto offers but NYC doesn't. However, that doesn't prevent me from loving to live here for the good things Canada boasts while the US generally lacks.

Old 12-22-2009, 11:54 PM

1,863 posts, read 5,150,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkgg7 View Post
However, that doesn't prevent me from loving to live here for the good things Canada boasts while the US generally lacks.
What are those things if I may ask? Off topic, I know.

Old 12-23-2009, 07:37 AM

1,801 posts, read 3,555,632 times
Montréal, Victoria, Halifax, Portland (Maine), any coastal town in Northern MA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada