Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 02:46 PM

166 posts, read 194,658 times

Advertisements

When I went to Canada many years ago, I heard people asking for a pizza...all dressed..I thought what the hell...Now I laugh..I know it means 'the works'. Canada has Tim Horton Donuts, best donut anywhere. I truly miss them. I like not love the ketchup chips. Smarties, na..dont care for them. Canada has some good chocolate bars but some of them are the same as we have here in the US. I really loved the plastic pouch containers that the milk came in. US should do something like that. Canada's BJ or Price Club..they call Club Price has samples like we do..but they had liquor samples..That was fun. Their flea markets were very good also for smoked meats..Oh yea, that term, we dont usually use it here like they do. The rolls, they ask for keisers. Nice lifestyle in Canada.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2013, 02:55 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,047,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GailL2007 View Post
When I went to Canada many years ago, I heard people asking for a pizza...all dressed..I thought what the hell...Now I laugh..I know it means 'the works'. Canada has Tim Horton Donuts, best donut anywhere. I truly miss them. I like not love the ketchup chips. Smarties, na..dont care for them. Canada has some good chocolate bars but some of them are the same as we have here in the US. I really loved the plastic pouch containers that the milk came in. US should do something like that. Canada's BJ or Price Club..they call Club Price has samples like we do..but they had liquor samples..That was fun. Their flea markets were very good also for smoked meats..Oh yea, that term, we dont usually use it here like they do. The rolls, they ask for keisers. Nice lifestyle in Canada.
Sounds like you went to Quebec: Club Price (instead of Price Club) with free booze sample, pizzas "all dressed", smoked meat...

Old 01-31-2013, 03:37 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,564,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GailL2007 View Post
Here in B.C. we used to have milk in bags years ago. They don't anymore...not sure why.

Old 01-31-2013, 03:49 PM

8,514 posts, read 4,494,847 times
I'm from the US, and I love the food in Canada. Once the weather breaks, I'm making a trip to Canada. It's only about 2 hours away.

Old 01-31-2013, 09:52 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,433,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Sounds like you went to Quebec: Club Price (instead of Price Club) with free booze sample, pizzas "all dressed", smoked meat...

"Club Price" LMAO!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Here in B.C. we used to have milk in bags years ago. They don't anymore...not sure why.
Really? That's strange, as we still get bagged milk in Ontario. (Windsor, anyway)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easybreezy View Post
I'm from the US, and I love the food in Canada. Once the weather breaks, I'm making a trip to Canada. It's only about 2 hours away.
You know you're getting a poutine.

Old 01-31-2013, 10:13 PM

1,452 posts, read 2,044,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post

Really? That's strange, as we still get bagged milk in Ontario. (Windsor, anyway)
Bagged milk is ridiculous. So unpractical, hard to cut it open without making the hole to big, just all around stupid. I hated it when I lived in Ontario, I was so happy to come back to the 4L jugs.

And whoever said Canadians order pizza "All Dressed", I've never ever ever heard someone say that ever. Must be an east coast thing.

I thought All Dressed potato chips were a Canadian thing too?

Old 01-31-2013, 10:31 PM

1,726 posts, read 5,862,764 times
Never heard "all dressed" in Ontario.

Personally, pizza in Ontario generally sucks. I cross the river to buy pizzas in Buffalo because they are far, far, far superior to the crap sold in Ontario. There's a few half-decent independent pizzerias around, but they all skimp on the cheese.

Coke in Canada tastes very similar to the U.S. version. Both suck. I only like the Mexican product - which is much easier, and cheaper, to find in the U.S.

Old 01-31-2013, 10:52 PM

3,625 posts, read 3,413,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimbo28 View Post
And whoever said Canadians order pizza "All Dressed", I've never ever ever heard someone say that ever. Must be an east coast thing.
I never heard the term when I lived in Ontario, and I've never heard it here in Alberta. "Deluxe" or "loaded," yes, but never "all dressed."

Quote:
They are. It's hard to pin down the flavour: kind of spicy, kind of tangy, kind of something else entirely. I have a feeling they mix all the flavourings together, and call the result "all dressed."

Old 01-31-2013, 11:06 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,433,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimbo28 View Post
Bagged milk is ridiculous. So unpractical, hard to cut it open without making the hole to big, just all around stupid. I hated it when I lived in Ontario, I was so happy to come back to the 4L jugs.

Hey, I agree. I get jugs or cartons. Of course you hated Ontario, didn't you stay in Sudbury?

I've never heard "all dressed" when refering to pizza either, just chips. I think someone on here made that up. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarp View Post
Never heard "all dressed" in Ontario.

Personally, pizza in Ontario generally sucks. I cross the river to buy pizzas in Buffalo because they are far, far, far superior to the crap sold in Ontario. There's a few half-decent independent pizzerias around, but they all skimp on the cheese.
I heard something about Windsor having famous pizza. Like "Windsor style pizza", but I don't know how true it is. We do have some good 'Za though.

Quote:
Coke in Canada tastes very similar to the U.S. version. Both suck. I only like the Mexican product - which is much easier, and cheaper, to find in the U.S.

I won't truly enjoy Coke again until it comes in a glass bottle.

Old 01-31-2013, 11:18 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,564,431 times
The term all - dressed is used out west, at least in B.C. Readers Digest even has a recipe for it. My partner from northern Ontario says they used the term as well. Strange that it seems so spotty across the country. I think a lot of places though are replacing all - dressed with create your own. However I think what is actually on an all-dressed varies greatly, especially since pizza's have so many more options for topping than 30 years ago.

All-dressed Pizza Recipe | Reader's Digest

Also one of the places I order from here in Vancouver also lists it.
Attached Thumbnails
Food differences btw US and Canada!-screen-shot-2013-01-31-10.01.10  

Last edited by Natnasci; 02-01-2013 at 12:27 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada