Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 06:40 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,410,260 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justcause View Post
Canada is awesome.

That's why.
Are you saying its "awesome" to despise your neighbor when your neighbor doesnt despise you?

Old 01-03-2010, 06:48 PM

106 posts, read 336,473 times
Not every Canadian "depises" the US. Some of us actually get along just fine with our neighbors to the south thank you very much. Take 911 for example, most Americans don't realize this (probably cause your media never reported it) but did you know that over 100,000 Canadians marched on Parliament Hill in Ottawa to show respect for the tragic deaths of those innocent people whose lives were lost on that sad day in New York?

Old 01-03-2010, 06:49 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,024,653 times
Just because some Canadians root for other than the US in sports does not mean that Canada as a whole is anti-US..

Old 01-03-2010, 06:52 PM

1,107 posts, read 3,072,391 times
Because we steal all their good looking woman away from them. Not my words. A drunk Canadian word in a Canadian Irish bar.

Old 01-03-2010, 06:56 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,563,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Why is it that Canadians constantly root against the USA in sporting events, even when Canadian teams are not involved? For instance, Ive been watching the IIHF World Junior Championships which are being held in Saskatoon. Yesterday I watched Canada narrowly squeak out a win against the USA in a SO, naturally the crowd was 99.999% Canadian-biased. But today I tune in to watch the USA vs Finland and once again the crowd is 99.999% Finnish-biased. I figured, you know, that maybe our neighbors would root for the USA. What gives? Why do you Canadians absolutely despise everything USA (at least in the sporting world)?
you're not kidding, and a few years ago at the World Juniors in Vancouver it was even worse with loud booing of the American anthem. They would also chant "go norway go" when america played norway and even cheered for russia against the US during the Vanc. WJ's.

the booing of the anthem has happened many times during the NHL playoffs, mostly in Montreal but also in a few other spots.

I think its rediculous,especially at the World Juniors, I mean, I get it that many people don't like George Bush and our foreign policy or that many Cdn's have jealousy and an inferiority complex but to boo a bunch of 18 and 19 year old teenage hockey players is childish IMO. They're just kids and many of the US team play junior hockey in Canada anyway and of course there are the tons of Canadians that come over here and play Div. 1-A hockey at our universities b/c Cdn colleges don't give scholarships.

I haven't heard of any reports of booing this year but I do suspect that's b/c this tourney is in Saskatchewan which is, along with Manitoba and Alberta more conservative, ie. less anti-american feelings. It's the more liberal areas that love to hate the US and are more vocal, so basically Quebec, B.c. and eastern Onterio. But the heartland or prarie provinces trend more conservative. But still of course they actively cheer against the US.

I used to always cheer for Cdn athletes in the Olympics etc. but don't really do that now. As a life long hockey fan of over 3 decades I've heard my anthem booed too often to really support Canada anymore. It's not even that I'm the typical Mr. Patriotic and "america's the best country in the world" type but I just think it's pretty petty and can't really relate to it.

a while ago during the NHL playoffs in a series betwen Montreal and Boston the Mtl fans booed the US anthem like so many times and this was the fans response in Boston: classy indeed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TxpxFqAV4I

Old 01-03-2010, 06:58 PM

981 posts, read 806,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Are you saying its "awesome" to despise your neighbor when your neighbor doesnt despise you?
Canada is awesome. That's all you need to know.

Old 01-03-2010, 08:25 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,818,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
Just because some Canadians root for other than the US in sports does not mean that Canada as a whole is anti-US..
I'm fairly pro-USA, yet even I enjoy cheering "against" the USA sometimes.

Old 01-03-2010, 08:30 PM

106 posts, read 336,473 times
Err Bagger...if you really wanna go in that direction how about those lovely Philadelphia Flyer fans who have booed the Canadian National Anthem at times during various hockey games? Or has that escaped your monologue? Actuallly there has also been reports of the Canadian Anthem being booed in St. Louis as well New York and San Jose of all places? And last year, thank you very much, the Ottawa fans actually cheered the US Anthem and continue to do with every US-based team that comes to the Scotiabank Place for NHL hockey. In Toronto they don't boo either...just in Quebec and that's another story in itself reserved for another time trust me! If you want to really get into this then take the idiots in Philly who had lost the Montreal Expos in the '81 World Series and promptly booed an Expos player because he carried a Canadain flag across the field in celebration?

Old 01-04-2010, 04:01 AM

6,485 posts, read 12,540,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamrock47 View Post
If you want to really get into this then take the idiots in Philly who had lost the Montreal Expos in the '81 World Series......

Old 01-04-2010, 08:30 AM

418 posts, read 1,090,473 times
WTH, competition is good, it's OK if some go to extremes. If push came to shove we would back you Canadians, and I'm sure you would back us.
Canada is a good neighbour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada