Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 06:08 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,328,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryannorthcott View Post
in some ways, kelowna is like the LA of canada without the cultural diversity. wealthy people come here for the setting and the attractions. it's a very tough place to make a decent living, which is likely why kelowna is often rated the city with the highest cost of living relative to average salary in canada.
Ha! You are so right. Kelowna always reminds me of the famous Gertrude Stein quote about California: "There is no there there."

I wouldn't want to live there for anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2010, 01:11 PM

1 posts, read 2,094 times
I too am looking to relocate with my husband and 6 year old daughter. I have spent countless hours on the internet and it appears that Nanaimo is an affortable place to live. We are leaving southern Ontario. Can anyone comment on Nanaimo for us? I am a school teacher so would be looking for a highschool teaching job. What is the job market like? Are there catholic elementary schools out there for my daughter?

Old 09-12-2010, 05:43 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,230,590 times
While some people love Vancouver Island, I could not take it at all. I lived in Victoria for 4 years and have to say that for a lot of the time I was even cold in the summer. I missed my idea of a hot summer so badly. I hate haivng to bring a jacket and raincoat with me even in the summer. I don't like grey skies and rain, or drizzle, and that seemed to be what it was like there much of the time (the pouring rain usually starts on Oct. 1st and stays for like what seems forever).

Nanaimo's weather is supposed to be a lttle better, or little worse, than Victoria depending on who you talk to. It used to have a very bad name but I think it's improving (or at least trying to).

I would not put much merit in the poster above who mentioned about the KKK, his post just doesn't make sense to me.

I nyself like the Okanagan the best but it's not a thriving metropolis that's for sure, but then again, to me, neither was Victoria (but I'm from a big city). Victoria is the closest thing to vibrant of the 3 though.

One thing I found about living on the island is that while it's pretty easy to get off it, the cost is great if you go by car. You're looking at $100 return (at least) and long waits for ferries etc. and if you go to the US you can add more time for customs. When a ferry breaks you can have a 4 sailing wait (that's fun , been there, done that!). To me it was not something to do for the day as it would take much of the day getting off and then back on again and you'd have no time at your destination. I only left the island for longer trips or to catch a plane out of Vancouver but at times I so wished I could just get in my car and take off (I know you can but I mean off the island with no planning).

That's another thing, it is more expensive and inconvenient to fly off the island.

Good luck!

Old 08-25-2015, 08:15 AM

3,026 posts, read 3,647,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
The Okanagan is definitely a banana belt. The southern part of the Okanagan, Osoyoos,, is part of the Great Sonoran Desert, getting less then 12 inches of rain a year.
Wow, how many times is this myth posted on this web forum!? Osoyoos gets MORE than 12 inches per year, and it is NOT part of the Sonoran Desert.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada