Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 09:29 AM

175 posts, read 750,785 times

Advertisements

Am I just grasping at straws or does this sound weird? My Dad was diagnosed with Stage 4 colon cancer that had spread to liver cancer in Aug of 07. He died Dec 07. He was only 50. He went to regular check ups. He had a history of blood clots in the lower leg and high blood pressure, but that was it. He didn't smoke or drink. By the time we even found out he had colon cancer it was already too late. He always have reg bowl function.

Neighbor across the street also gets colon cancer, also spreads to his liver. He died within 18 months of being diagnosed (Summer 2010). He was also upper 40's to low 50's age range.

Both moved in the neighborhood about the same time (1995) It was a new neighborhood at that time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2010, 10:20 AM

2,312 posts, read 7,531,922 times
Yes, this kind of thing is not unusual. Coincidence or environmental causes? It's hard to say. I'm sorry about your dad.

There's a pretty big burden of proof to find environmental causes--not that it's not possible, just that it's hard. Research "Love Canal" on the internet and you'll see what I mean.

Old 09-22-2010, 10:29 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,691,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmabernathy View Post
Am I just grasping at straws or does this sound weird? My Dad was diagnosed with Stage 4 colon cancer that had spread to liver cancer in Aug of 07. He died Dec 07. He was only 50. He went to regular check ups. He had a history of blood clots in the lower leg and high blood pressure, but that was it. He didn't smoke or drink. By the time we even found out he had colon cancer it was already too late. He always have reg bowl function.

Neighbor across the street also gets colon cancer, also spreads to his liver. He died within 18 months of being diagnosed (Summer 2010). He was also upper 40's to low 50's age range.

Both moved in the neighborhood about the same time (1995) It was a new neighborhood at that time.
Not weird. Colon cancer has some pretty definitive causes behind it, and it's pretty easy to avoid in the long run if you just eat right. Seeing how poorly so many Americans eat, colon cancer isn't a big surprise anymore. Now, if you were talking about a very rare form of cancer, and two people living next door to each other got it, then it might be worth looking at the statisical probabilities.

Old 09-22-2010, 10:43 AM

I was under the impression that colon cancer was a very slow moving and treatable kind of cancer. I remember the Dr.s telling me that people usually have it for 10 years before it spreads. Just thought it was strange that it progressed so quickly for men that young.

Old 09-22-2010, 01:37 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,239,068 times
Quote:
I was under the impression that colon cancer was a very slow moving and treatable kind of cancer. I remember the Dr.s telling me that people usually have it for 10 years before it spreads. Just thought it was strange that it progressed so quickly for men that young.
Both folks may have had colon cancer for many years before diagnosis.

Like many cancers, there often are not symptoms until it is too late. This is why cancer screening and cancer prevention is so important.

Regular colonoscopies for everyone beginning at age 50 or sooner if there is a familial history or other symptoms....

Old 09-23-2010, 06:03 AM

23,884 posts, read 33,621,189 times
Quote:

Colon cancer risk factors

Old 09-23-2010, 06:08 AM

2,186 posts, read 7,950,670 times
I don't think it is anything to be concerned with. I am sorry about your Dad, but Colon Cancer is not one of those environmental cancers. If people were dying of Leukemia, or other blood cancers, then I would be concerned but Colon Cancer is just one of those horrible cancers that is becoming more and more common because frankly people are going to the doctor. Who knows how many people actually had this years and years ago but something else was blamed for their death? It is just really sad.

Old 09-23-2010, 06:11 AM

Roselvr-I don't know about the neighbor but My Daddy didn't have any of the risk factors, thanks for the link.

I am 29 now (my Daddy died at 50) should I get tested, will my insurance cover it? I don't have the risk factors either, except that now my Daddy has died from it. My family history includes a lot of other cancers but he was the only one with colon cancer.

Diabetics run in both sides of my family too, but my parents didn't have it and my blood sugar is consistantly in the 70's-although when I was heavier I was in the prediabetic range.

Old 09-23-2010, 10:05 AM

2,222 posts, read 10,655,375 times
Quote:
I am 29 now (my Daddy died at 50) should I get tested, will my insurance cover it?
I think if I was you I would have a colonoscopy around age 40. Insurance may not pay, but for ease of mind, I would pay for it myself. In my area I think the cost is about $1,200. You have 10 years to save up for it. Better than worrying about it.

Old 09-23-2010, 10:36 AM

23,884 posts, read 33,621,189 times
Quote:
Roselvr-I don't know about the neighbor but My Daddy didn't have any of the risk factors, thanks for the link.

I am 29 now (my Daddy died at 50) should I get tested, will my insurance cover it? I don't have the risk factors either, except that now my Daddy has died from it. My family history includes a lot of other cancers but he was the only one with colon cancer.

Diabetics run in both sides of my family too, but my parents didn't have it and my blood sugar is consistantly in the 70's-although when I was heavier I was in the prediabetic range.
Sorry I just left a link.. guess I wasn't that awake this morning. I'm sorry for your loss. My dad passed from a chemical related cancer; so I understand your pain. We've been touch by a handful of family having cancer; all different.

You can speak to a Dr to get answers. If you feel you should have a colonoscopy earlier; you may be able to find a center that does them free with donation if your insurance won't pay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer