Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 10:09 PM

574 posts, read 2,044,955 times

Advertisements

I was diagnosed a little over two weeks ago and am scheduled for a lumpectomy on February 9, followed by radiation and I was told, POSSIBLY chemo. All of my pathology is not back yet (all we know for sure is that it is invasive ductal carcinoma). My surgeon ESTIMATES me to be somewhere in a stage 1 or early 2 because it is small and was discovered early. I was kind of surprised at his suggestion that I may need chemo since I was in that early of a stage, though I do know that some types of tumor markers will make that likely and that if it is hormone receptor positive I will likely need hormone therapy. I was just wondering though how many here who are diagnosed stage 1 still needed chemo? Is it commonplace now for everyone who has the invasive type to have some type of chemo as part of their recommended treatment?

Thanks!

Nancy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2011, 12:26 PM

1,787 posts, read 3,849,553 times
I think any time there is a cancer diagnosis there is a possibility of chemo! Your pathology report will probably be the deciding factor. I'm a stage 2b with positive nodes and had bilateral mastectomy followed by chemo followed by 33 radiation treatments.

Old 02-27-2011, 01:57 PM

23 posts, read 83,013 times
There is a test called onco-dx that rates your risk of recurrence. They use tissue from the tumor I think. It can help you and your oncologist judge whether the chemo is a good option for you if the cancer is early stage. My insurance covered it, so I had it. My score was a little high, so I opted for the chemo. I was just as glad I did. It was not as bad as I expected and from studies I've read, it really increases your long term survival rate, even in very early stage cancer.

And best of luck to you!

Old 02-28-2011, 12:05 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,950,527 times
I was diagnosed with Stage II colon cancer - surgeon removed the ascending colon and there was no indication that the 7.3cm tumor had spread to the lymph nodes. Nevertheless, I was prescribed chemo - oral - and I had eight rounds. Two weeks on with 2 pills a day, and one week off. This went on for six months. I had one episode of vomiting; some headaches; lethargy; all of which disappeared when the chemo ended.

Six weeks after I took the last pill, I was once again on stage in a play. It's been two years since my diagnosis and my CEA has never been above 2.8

This is not medical advice. Simply a recitation of my own circumstances. Good luck to you.

Old 03-08-2011, 05:42 AM

I hope the OP is doing well. Too bad she didn't come back to let us know how she fared with her surgery and possible chemo. We come here to support people who may be apprehensive about their diagnosis and potential treatment, and I for one, will continue to do so on the off-chance that I can be of some small help.

Old 03-09-2011, 08:57 PM

574 posts, read 2,044,955 times
Thank you all for sharing your stories and your encouragement! I hadn't come back to report anything for awhile because surgery actually ended up being postponed for three weeks after it was originially scheduled. I had the first one and thankfully the lymph nodes were clear. My second surgery is scheduled for this Friday because my margins weren't clear. I have pretty much decided if the onco suggests chemo, even if it only increases my chances of long term survival by like 5%, I will accept it. I too have been hearing that while its no picnic, it isn't as bad as it used to be. If I don't need chemo I should be able to start my radiation treatments in about a month.

Nancy

Old 03-10-2011, 06:54 AM

Good to hear from you, Nancy! And clear lymph nodes are a welcome sign! Wishing you well on your upcoming surgery and hoping that the news only gets better.

Old 08-21-2013, 06:18 AM

4 posts, read 13,101 times
I was diagnosed with Stage 1 Invasive Ductal Carcinoma about 6 weeks ago. I had a partal mastectomy with the sentinel lymph node and 1 other removed; there was no sign of cancer in either lymph node. Since then, I've learned that the cancer was HER-2 Positive, which was the critical deciding factor for the Oncologists. The rest of my pathology was very positive, but that HER-2 Positive cell diagnosis blew all the good out of the water. I'm now scheduled to start mammosite radiation next Monday, 2 treatments daily for 5 days. About a week after that, I'll start chemo and Herceptin every 3 weeks for 6 months, then Herceptin alone for another 6 months. I'm told I'll lose all my hair, have mouth sores, nausea, and other nasty side effects. BUT, treatment vs non-treatment odds are too great for me to ignore...50%. There's also a hormone receptor blocker that will be taken orally for an unspecified amount of time, but probably at least 5 years. I've been quite tearful each time I get a phone call letting me know that the next step is scheduled. But I know that my faith will get me through this journey. A dear cousin, who is a breast cancer survivor, emailed the following to me: There will be times that you feel like just giving up. At those times, remember that Jesus suffered unbelievable agony for you, and he didn't give up - and neither should you - you can do this.
I started keeping a log of all such statements friends are emailing to me, and will post some all around my home - the bathroom mirror, the refrigerator...places that I'll see and read them every day. Reading them when I'm down may very well lift me back up.

Old 08-21-2013, 07:06 AM

mountain gal, I hope you can get through this with the support of friends and you are always welcome here for support from those of us who have already been down the road you're just beginning to travel. Bless you.

Old 08-21-2013, 07:20 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,818,191 times
So sorry that your treatment will be so bad but thankful that you caught it early and have good doctors going after it. Keep the faith strong and know that others will pray for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer