Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2011, 05:54 PM

3,712 posts, read 11,038,071 times

Advertisements

It's not so much that DH is having appetite loss - it's more that he's nervous about what he can eat that won't make him queasy. Some things he's not interested in at all (eggs, some breads, sometimes soup..) others he wants to eat but they don't sit well.

Anyone have any ideas on evening meals for 2 while one is on avastin/oxaliplatin & 5FU?

He's not interested in bland food particularly. he ate a stuffed pepper for lunch and it was fine! yet fat free hotdogs & peas & carrots weren't great.

I'm at a loss.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2011, 11:47 AM

7,395 posts, read 19,345,786 times
I had breast cancer and one of the drugs I took was 5fu. I don't know if it's so much the drug for appetite loss but when I didn't feel like eating anything or anything much, I made a shake in my blender made of milk, fruit, some protein powder and a little honey to sweeten. Other meals were oatmeal and cereal. They never seemed to bother me. I stayed away from spicy and heavy foods as they made me queasy. I craved corn dogs and bacon and they didn't seem to bother me as long as I ate a little at a time.

It's doubtful you and your hubby will be able to eat the same meals all the time or even at the same time so don't stress out over trying to do that.

Old 09-23-2011, 07:50 PM

3,712 posts, read 11,038,071 times
thanks. so far, he's doing pretty good. it's only dinner that has been confusing! talked with the PA today (bloodwork day) and he suggested Zantac for the bubbly-queasiness. He won't eat oatmeal these days - maybe it will change. Oddly, spicy and heavily seasoned foods don't bother him - he just doesn't care for them (ate overly spicy chili the other day and german sausage & sauerkraut yesterday! yet chick-fil-a grilled chicken didn't work!!!). It's still early days yet. I"m told the oxaliplatin tends to make people nauseous - probably later.

I've found a few recipes we might try: basic mac & cheese, baked chicken, 'goulash'... no, I"m not a cook! I've never actually made these
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer