Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2011, 03:13 PM

49 posts, read 135,414 times

Advertisements

I am 40 yrs old and my mom also has BC for more than 8 yrs (now she is in her 70's and still fighting BC)

Last week after a digital mammogram got a result BIRADS 4(A) low suspicious the radiologist recomended a stereotactic biopsy.
He found an amorphous group of microcalcification in one of my breasts.

Since then I ve been reading a lot about biopsy and I am really scared about the side effects. It can actualy seed and sperad the cancer,or that is not 100% accuracy can show false negative and the cancer to progress faster because of the procedure. Can these be true????

Some dangers of biopsies « Cancerfighter’s Weblog

Stereotactic Breast Biopsy: what you should know but probably weren't told | Townsend Letter for Doctors and Patients | Find Articles at BNET

A New Way to Detect Breast Cancer Risk | I Got MomPower (http://igotmompower.com/2011/03/a-new-way-to-detect-breast-cancer-risk/ - broken link)

Also about that marker clue that will be left in place, for how long it will be there?

Some articles said that the doctors are not allowed to advise against biopsy.
Should I wait 4-6 months to have another digital mammogram or do the biopsy ASAP?

I don't know what to do. Any advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2011, 04:08 PM

3,702 posts, read 18,211,653 times
Been there, done that, all of that. I would suggest you get the biopsy. Honestly, I was scared of it too but it is not that bad at all and very few people have side effects. It is relatively painless, the biggest annoyance is the usual squishing and having to lay in a very uncomfortable position. If you actually have cancer and wait 4-6 months, you might lose some treatment options especially if it is an aggressive kind. As for accuracy, that applies if they miss the targeted cells. The stereotactic biopsy is done under a mammography so they can target it pretty accurately. When I had mine done, they checked the sample immediately and could see the microcalcifications in the sample indicating that they got it.
Unfortunately, I was one of the few that actually had the cancer. I was fortunate that it was caught early (it was a very aggresive variety). That saved me so much grief and I avoided any chemo. My mom was not so lucky. I cannot comment on the tracks, though I have read about it. Typically, if it is caught early and you have a mastechtomy, that would eliminate the tracks. If you have a lumpectomy, it is standard to have radiation treatment afterward that would kill any stray cells that may have been left behind.

Old 05-25-2011, 11:00 AM

I had the biospy yesterday. was not painfull at all. Now I am wainting for results.

Old 05-25-2011, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michellebadu View Post
I had the biospy yesterday. was not painfull at all. Now I am wainting for results.
Praying you have good results. If you get bad results, remember it is not a death sentence. You will go through a bit of misery and discomfort for a while but it will get better. I know, doesn't help with the anxiety. Again, good luck.

Old 05-26-2011, 01:29 PM

thank you!

Old 05-26-2011, 04:24 PM

just got the results: no cancer! Thank you, God!

Old 05-26-2011, 05:15 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,814,714 times
Quote:
Yaaay! So glad for you.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 05-26-2011, 05:22 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,696,404 times
I had a biopsy Monday and I get results Friday. I have to go in and talk to my DR. in person, is that common? I'm hoping she just doesn't want to give me the bad new face to face

Old 05-26-2011, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Yeah!!!! Very happy for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer