Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 07:01 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,698,696 times

Advertisements

I just found out that I need a breast biopsy after they found something in my mammogram. I then had an ultrasound which made them want to do a biopsy and now my doctor wants to discuss the biopsy tomorow. I'm so nervous that maybe she just wants to tell me I have stave IV cancer or something..... I really just don't know what to think. I will talk with her Wednesday at 11AM regarding when to have the biopsy ect. but I'm kind of freaking out now
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2011, 08:30 PM

2,358 posts, read 5,982,634 times
I can't tell you that they'll tell you it's nothing, but I will say that doctors are quite cautious with anything that seems suspicious in a mammogram and/or sonogram. Most times, they find nothing when they do the biopsy. I have had two biopsies, so I know that horrendous, draining fear I know you must be feeling right now. Everybody told me, "It's probably nothing." To me it seemed unlikely it was nothing because it felt like everything was wrong the minute I heard 'biopsy.' It's an awful awful feeling and to have to wait even a day to talk to the doctor must be hell. Please don't think the absolute worst if you can help it and know that they are finding problems earlier and earlier these days, so if it is something, remember that more breast cancers are being cured now than ever before.

Best of luck to you tomorrow - if you feel like it, please update us.

Old 05-17-2011, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmacf1 View Post
I can't tell you that they'll tell you it's nothing, but I will say that doctors are quite cautious with anything that seems suspicious in a mammogram and/or sonogram. Most times, they find nothing when they do the biopsy. I have had two biopsies, so I know that horrendous, draining fear I know you must be feeling right now. Everybody told me, "It's probably nothing." To me it seemed unlikely it was nothing because it felt like everything was wrong the minute I heard 'biopsy.' It's an awful awful feeling and to have to wait even a day to talk to the doctor must be hell. Please don't think the absolute worst if you can help it and know that they are finding problems earlier and earlier these days, so if it is something, remember that more breast cancers are being cured now than ever before.

Best of luck to you tomorrow - if you feel like it, please update us.

I shall! To make matters worse though I have always known I have very dense breasts, but, I was just reading that dense breasts have a much higher risk of developing breast cancer

Old 05-17-2011, 08:42 PM

2,358 posts, read 5,982,634 times
I had dense breasts too and really lumpy. I was always feeling things that seemed weird. I'm using the past tense because I had breast reduction a few years ago and they're not nearly so lumpy now (and I'm just about past my child-bearing years.) Mammograms are more difficult, though, because I now have scar tissue that looks suspect.

Are you in that gorgeous section of NH called the Northern Kingdom? It's one of the most beautiful places in this country!

Old 05-18-2011, 02:56 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,794,686 times
was thinking about you today Aptor and wondered if you've seen the doc yet?

Old 05-18-2011, 03:16 PM

I saw my doctor and she pretty much just told me that while she is concerned don't panic yet. I have a consult with the dr tomorow about doing the biopsy, but, I just wish we could get the biopsy done.

Old 05-18-2011, 03:19 PM

402 posts, read 1,406,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptor hours View Post
I just found out that I need a breast biopsy after they found something in my mammogram. I then had an ultrasound which made them want to do a biopsy and now my doctor wants to discuss the biopsy tomorow. I'm so nervous that maybe she just wants to tell me I have stave IV cancer or something..... I really just don't know what to think. I will talk with her Wednesday at 11AM regarding when to have the biopsy ect. but I'm kind of freaking out now
Best Wishes.

Old 05-18-2011, 04:28 PM

3,702 posts, read 18,215,075 times
Here are some numbers from the clinic I was treated at that might reassure you.

Approx. 42,000 mammograms conducted per year; of those
Approx. 5600 come back as abnormal and are referred to diagnostics; of those
Approx. 200 are diagnosed with cancer

I know it can be a really trying time, but hang in there. Your doctor is right, don't panic just yet. If you have questions about the biopsy, jump over to the cancer subforum and read up or ask questions. Several of the ladies can help you out there.

Old 05-18-2011, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poltracker View Post
Here are some numbers from the clinic I was treated at that might reassure you.

Approx. 42,000 mammograms conducted per year; of those
Approx. 5600 come back as abnormal and are referred to diagnostics; of those
Approx. 200 are diagnosed with cancer

I know it can be a really trying time, but hang in there. Your doctor is right, don't panic just yet. If you have questions about the biopsy, jump over to the cancer subforum and read up or ask questions. Several of the ladies can help you out there.
wow-amazing stats. My mammogram is currently Category 3. Tomorrow I go for my 3rd six month mammogram. The doctor said if there is any change this time I'll be sent to a surgeon for a biopsy but if that happens that I should keep in mind it will be very early stage of cancer should cancer be found.
I was confused as to why a biopsy wasn't done straight off--which is exactly a year ago. Doctor said they have a criteria to follow and I haven't met the biopsy criteria yet. Tomorrow may be the day!
The entire process from the moment I walk in through those doors until I get the results make me so edgy I cry for no reason; other than I'm so on edge.

Old 05-18-2011, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptor hours View Post
I saw my doctor and she pretty much just told me that while she is concerned don't panic yet. I have a consult with the dr tomorow about doing the biopsy, but, I just wish we could get the biopsy done.
Aptor, your doctor had you come in only to tell you that??
Do you mind me asking what it is they are seeing/concerned about?
It seems so easy for the medical community to utter the words,"don't panic. Don't worry-yet"
If my mammogram has anything irregular I'm gonna worry.

Hope all turns out well---perfect in fact for you. Please update as things go on........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer