Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 06:23 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,352,792 times

Advertisements

Cancer is probably one of the greatest moral and ethical issues a person will ever face. And there are values, core beliefs that one has an opportunity to examine, probably as one has never done previously.

There is no "date stamp" on your foot when you are diagnosed with cancer, some people live longer than others. Some go fairly rapidly.

I have worked with cancer patients, and their families. Cancer acceptance, and treatment options run on the contiuum, some people want the latest treatments, others want to sign up for hospice, and go the route of pallative care.

The important thing is to manage your health care, and have a voice in your care. I have found paitients to start becoming more in tune with their spiritual beliefs, and thinking more about prayer, and God.

Wish you the best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2012, 06:16 AM

41,951 posts, read 75,160,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
I don't understnd how some people who have this type of cancer live longer.
I'm sorry about your dad. The best I can figure is that treatment works sometimes (if it can be tolerated at all) ... and sometimes it doesn't.

My husband died in October of pancreatic cancer; he lived two years and one week after diagnosis, with a year of remission in between treatments. The chemo and radiation killed the cells on my husband's pancreas, but the cancer popped up again on his liver. His oncologist threw two different chemo cocktails at it, but nothing stopped it.

It's a crap shoot. You can do everything right, and still have it come back. It sucks, but that's the way it is right now.

Old 02-14-2012, 06:40 AM

20,928 posts, read 28,406,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I'm sorry about your dad. The best I can figure is that treatment works sometimes (if it can be tolerated at all) ... and sometimes it doesn't.

My husband died in October of pancreatic cancer; he lived two years and one week after diagnosis, with a year of remission in between treatments. The chemo and radiation killed the cells on my husband's pancreas, but the cancer popped up again on his liver. His oncologist threw two different chemo cocktails at it, but nothing stopped it.

It's a crap shoot. You can do everything right, and still have it come back. It sucks, but that's the way it is right now.
sorry about your husband. How old was he when he died? If my dad had opted for treatment things might have been different. The oncologist told him treatment was not an option at that point but had my father gotten a 2nd opinion who knows. He just wanted to be left alone, made comfortable and to die at home. That's just what he did. He did not even want a wake or funeral mass. Just to be cremated. But on his death bed he told my mom she could have a wake for 1 day and a funeral mass the next and then he would be cremated. She said he decided at the last minute because he knew the surviving family needed it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer