Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 02:58 PM

1,266 posts, read 3,222,421 times

Advertisements

My derm doc called today and said the shave biopsy she performed on a suspicious-looking mole on my back returned from the lab as a basal cell carcinoma.

She reassured me that there was nothing to worry about, as she and the derm pathologist studied the sample sufficiently to determine the biopsy removed enough tissue below the margin of the carcinoma to feel safe about no further treatment. She suggested a follow-up appointment in one year.

All righty then -- this is my first cancer diagnosis of any kind, so naturally I am upset and concerned.

Should I take her suggestion of no further treatment needed? Who's had a basal cell carcinoma removed and what advice/treatment did you get?

Thanks for any input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2011, 03:27 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
I had a punch biopsy of one on my forearm maybe 35 yrs ago. No problems. Remember this is the mildest form of skin cancer.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 07-14-2011, 03:28 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
They usually shave and shave until the margins are clear.

Old 07-17-2011, 11:00 AM

Thanks for the comforting input!

The little crater formed by the lesion removal during the biopsy appears to be healing up just fine.

I'd like to put a plug in for everyone to schedule an annual full body scan with a board-certified dermatologist. My regular PCP missed this lesion when I had an appointment for a chest x-ray two months earlier, even though he used a stethoscope on my back right where the lesion was to check on my lung sounds.

Old 07-17-2011, 11:52 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
A full-body mole check is only necessary once and then you visit when you see/feel something different. I had one about 10 yrs ago after my brother had a melanoma removed. I had close to 100 spots frozen off that day (quit counting after 75) and I have gone in a couple of times per year since then. I show the doc the new spot and it usually gets frozen. Of course, you have to be both diligent about checking and aware of what is there. Glad yours was caught in time! My hole from the punch biopsy filled up within a year or so.

Old 09-06-2011, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
My hole from the punch biopsy filled up within a year or so.
A frustrating footnote to my experience with the two shave biopsies I underwent:

As I said, the skin cancer spot healed up just fine, and the biopsy did indeed "get it all."

The other biopsy, taken at the hinge between my upper and lower leg, was quite deep since it was a large, dark flat "freckle." This came back from the lab as a negative, which was a relief, but it will NOT heal! It filled in by scabbing over several times and then began to grow a "dome" of puffy but hard skin that aches and bleeds.

I went back to the derm doc and she applied silver oxide, pressing down hard on the dome, assuring me that would take care of the problem. Unfortunately, the problem came back as soon as the silver oxide wore off, and the dome of skin is bigger and more painful than ever.

Anything I should be doing here or insisting SHE do to get this biopsy site healed up???

Old 09-06-2011, 06:52 PM

37,095 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecypher5413 View Post
A frustrating footnote to my experience with the two shave biopsies I underwent:

As I said, the skin cancer spot healed up just fine, and the biopsy did indeed "get it all."

The other biopsy, taken at the hinge between my upper and lower leg, was quite deep since it was a large, dark flat "freckle." This came back from the lab as a negative, which was a relief, but it will NOT heal! It filled in by scabbing over several times and then began to grow a "dome" of puffy but hard skin that aches and bleeds.

I went back to the derm doc and she applied silver oxide, pressing down hard on the dome, assuring me that would take care of the problem. Unfortunately, the problem came back as soon as the silver oxide wore off, and the dome of skin is bigger and more painful than ever.

Anything I should be doing here or insisting SHE do to get this biopsy site healed up???
You mean your knee, I presume?

It may be that there is a hair trapped under the "dome", creating a foreign body effect. If so, it will eventually work its way out, but it may take a while. I would ask her to numb it up, remove the "dome", and see what is under there.

Old 09-07-2011, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
It may be that there is a hair trapped under the "dome", creating a foreign body effect. If so, it will eventually work its way out, but it may take a while.
Bullseye! Thank you, SuzyQ, for solving the problem and saving me another trip to the derm doc.

I scraped around a bit and, sure enough, it was a curled-up ingrown hair in the wound.

Now it should finally heal up like it should

Old 09-07-2011, 09:16 PM

37,095 posts, read 41,226,282 times

Old 09-11-2011, 01:56 AM

2,075 posts, read 2,136,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
A full-body mole check is only necessary once and then you visit when you see/feel something different. I had one about 10 yrs ago after my brother had a melanoma removed. I had close to 100 spots frozen off that day (quit counting after 75) and I have gone in a couple of times per year since then. I show the doc the new spot and it usually gets frozen. Of course, you have to be both diligent about checking and aware of what is there. Glad yours was caught in time! My hole from the punch biopsy filled up within a year or so.
I am getting somewhat confused here. I go in next
week for a biopsy. I thought they had to surgicaly
remove these moles if they were melanoma.
They can be frozen ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer